Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nikku88 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:43 am

RC wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:
Cooner wrote:if so, i'm pretty sure it would be Betemit taking Chipper's spot at 3rd- he's been seeing all the time there when Chipper sat. I don't see Marte getting much action except as a utility guy.

there are rumblings here (in atlanta) that the braves might package furcal (and a couple of others) and try to trade for miguel bautista or a bat after the all-star break.

Rafael Furcal - Shortstop

Rafael Furcal's disappointing season could mean he sits in place of Wilson Betemit at some point, and it doesn't help that his sore shoulder is making it difficult for him to bat left-handed.
The Braves called up prospect Andy Marte who could take over third base full time while Chipper Jones is out with a foot injury, while Betemit, who has played well this year, could get time at short. Furcal is hitting just .221 and has an OBP of .275, which is not what you're looking for out of your leadoff hitter. Jun. 7 - 8:49 am et
Source: MLB.com

Trade Bautista for Furcal?

This makes no sense from the Jays' perspective. Russ Adams has been a bit of a project this year, but Aaron Hill has shown he can play at this level. Between the two of them, I don't see us needing an SS.

Besides, Riccardi is a Moneyball guy and the Jays rarely steal. Combine that with Furcal being a FA and his OBP being poor, I don't see why we'd be interested. Unless there's a BIG bat involved.

Ted Rogers added a bunch of money to the payroll and the Jays are actually in contention in the AL East right now. All of the talk is that we're going to be buyers, not sellers this season.

Sorry if this amounts to a highjack, but that seems a little silly.

The only way I see the Jays do this is if they want to get rid of Batista's contract and take Furcal, then they get a draft pick if he leaves. Furcal would probably be a Type A player which would be a 1st round pick.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:44 am

rotterdam_82 wrote:The Braves wouldn't give anything resembling a BIG bat for Bautista. The last thing the Braves have to spare is a BIG bat. Any bat infact.......

Exactly why I think we make terrible trading partners.

Maybe Detroit/Urbina would make more sense?
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:50 am

MArte was hitting what in AAA, .275? I don't see where he is going to be a stud for the remainder of this year. There is nothing in that offense right now to give him any protection. When they bring Kelly Johnson up and plug him in the three hole right away, you know there are no hitters in that lineup. It might help Marte for next year, but I don't see him doing much more than .260 and less than 15 hrs and 50 rbi for the rest of the season, assuming Chipper is out.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:56 am

RC wrote:Trade Bautista for Furcal?

This makes no sense from the Jays' perspective. Russ Adams has been a bit of a project this year, but Aaron Hill has shown he can play at this level. Between the two of them, I don't see us needing an SS.

Besides, Riccardi is a Moneyball guy and the Jays rarely steal. Combine that with Furcal being a FA and his OBP being poor, I don't see why we'd be interested. Unless there's a BIG bat involved.

Ted Rogers added a bunch of money to the payroll and the Jays are actually in contention in the AL East right now. All of the talk is that we're going to be buyers, not sellers this season.

Sorry if this amounts to a highjack, but that seems a little silly.

I totally agree with RC here. The Blue Jays are fine for the foreseeable future at SS, and the other aspect of the equation is that the Jays have nobody reliable to step in and close if they were to give Batista. It just doesn't make sense.

If there's anything the Jays need, it's starting pitching. When Josh Towers is your #3 SP, you need help.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:23 am

but I don't see him doing much more than .260 and less than 15 hrs and 50 rbi for the rest of the season

And you don't think that acceptable for a 21 year old kid? you guys are a tough crowd!!;-7

Everytime he's stepped up a level he's taken his time to get used to the pitching, but he's found his way eventualy. His minor league numbers are skewed slightly because he never gets time to settle before being asked to crank it up a notch. Not to mention the injury he had a couple of years ago.

Given a full year at AAA that avg would have been over .280 no question. Give him a full year in the majors and he will do just the same. Theres no way around the kid, he can hit almost anything.....

Trust me B-)
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:35 am

He hit .269 in 107 games in AA last year. In two years of A ball in over 100 games each the best he could do was .285. That is plenty of time to get adjusted. His power numbers were good, and he walks a good amount, but he also strikes out quite a bit. He's a typical Braves prospect, overrated. Those strikeout numbers are the big problem. When you are k'ing basically once a game at the minor league level, you're going to get eaten up at the major league level usually. He's not going to be much help this year in fantasy leagues or for the Braves, which is what I was saying.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:47 am

SouthBronxBombers wrote:He hit .269 in 107 games in AA last year. In two years of A ball in over 100 games each the best he could do was .285. That is plenty of time to get adjusted. His power numbers were good, and he walks a good amount, but he also strikes out quite a bit. He's a typical Braves prospect, overrated. Those strikeout numbers are the big problem. When you are k'ing basically once a game at the minor league level, you're going to get eaten up at the major league level usually. He's not going to be much help this year in fantasy leagues or for the Braves, which is what I was saying.

Just out of curiousity Bombers, how many 21 year olds hit like Marte did in his first season at AAA?

Obviously his talent and ability exceeds that of 99% of baseball players out there. Of course that doesn't mean he will become an instant success but he is already up in the bigs, something that most prospects can't say until they are 23-24 and beyond. Something to think about.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:03 am

In two years of A ball in over 100 games each the best he could do was .285.

At age 18 and 19. He put up Andruw Jones numbers at the same age, and at the same level. Andruw didn't quite turn out like expected I know (take a damn pitch Druw!!!), but i'm sure you still remember the hype?

He's not going to be much help this year in fantasy leagues

No, I agree. But in a Yahoo! keeper league, this is pretty big news.....
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby zepfan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:46 pm

Picked up Marte in my yahoo keeper. Now if he could add OF eligibility, that would be awesome. I've heard good things about him so I might stick with him even if he slumps. ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers