Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:45 pm

nmarq8 wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:Rafael Furcal - Shortstop

Rafael Furcal's disappointing season could mean he sits in place of Wilson Betemit at some point, and it doesn't help that his sore shoulder is making it difficult for him to bat left-handed.
The Braves called up prospect Andy Marte who could take over third base full time while Chipper Jones is out with a foot injury, while Betemit, who has played well this year, could get time at short. Furcal is hitting just .221 and has an OBP of .275, which is not what you're looking for out of your leadoff hitter. Jun. 7 - 8:49 am et
Source: MLB.com

Looks like the entire Atlanta team is in disarray at the moment. I'd be very surprised to see furcal either sit or traded. as good as betemit has played recently, he's no furcal. They know they need to trade for some help in the pen, but as for marte, I agree with what was said before in that they're going to bring him along slowly and not force an opening for him right away.

Actually I would not be surprised if Furcal is traded. It will depend largely on how Betemit and Marte do over the next month or two. Furcal is a free agent and the I'm sure the Braves have no intentions of signing him. Not sure who is looking for a short term gap at SS or have intentions of signing Furcal to a long term contract but I'm sure that they are out there.

If he continues to struggle and they can't trade him, I would not be surprised if they just bench him and let the kids play. If he has no future with the team and the team is losing anyway, why not let the kids play?

As I mentioned in other posts, I don't think the Braves would bring up a top prospect in all of baseball to watch him sit and rot. They clearly think that this kid can play everyday and they will find a way to get him in there until he proves he can't play at this level yet. I'm grabbing Marte as soon as he clears waivers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Yoda wrote:

As I mentioned in other posts, I don't think the Braves would bring up a top prospect in all of baseball to watch him sit and rot. They clearly think that this kid can play everyday and they will find a way to get him in there until he proves he can't play at this level yet. I'm grabbing Marte as soon as he clears waivers.

you are correct. marte will play. the braves told him that if he made it here before the game ended last night that "he would get an AB."

there was even talk earlier last month (during the mondesi/jordan era) of bringing him up and trying to work him into the outfield because of his upside at the plate.....

;-D
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Cooner wrote:if so, i'm pretty sure it would be Betemit taking Chipper's spot at 3rd- he's been seeing all the time there when Chipper sat. I don't see Marte getting much action except as a utility guy.

I'll go with sweet Lou's logic here: "You want your kids playing, not sitting."

IMO, It makes zero sense for the Brave to have Marte up as a utility player. They should bring up some journeymen for that.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cnt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:22 pm

Here is another source on Jones possibly needing surgery. Interesting how it also says that Marte will get most of the playing time. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next couple of weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns
cnt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:26 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:
Yoda wrote:

you are correct. marte will play. the braves told him that if he made it here before the game ended last night that "he would get an AB."

there was even talk earlier last month (during the mondesi/jordan era) of bringing him up and trying to work him into the outfield because of his upside at the plate.....

;-D

I had read that after working with him in the OF for two days in Spring Training, Cox said they had scrapped that idea.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:
Yoda wrote:

;-D

I had read that after working with him in the OF for two days in Spring Training, Cox said they had scrapped that idea.

after seeing how deficient the bravos offense was....the chatter started back up again....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dmville » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:50 pm

I read Furcal may be going DL. Link below. Opens a spot for both Betemit and Marte for now possibly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-afaelurcalhoulderigh&prov=rotowire&type=lgns
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:18 am

I don't care how effective Betemit has been, Marte is the starting 3rd baseman for now and the future. Betemit is in the bigs as the utiity guy, and a fine job he's doing too. That will not be changing on 50AB worth of stats.

Just my 2 cents......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:12 am

Krunk City King$ wrote:
Cooner wrote:if so, i'm pretty sure it would be Betemit taking Chipper's spot at 3rd- he's been seeing all the time there when Chipper sat. I don't see Marte getting much action except as a utility guy.

there are rumblings here (in atlanta) that the braves might package furcal (and a couple of others) and try to trade for miguel bautista or a bat after the all-star break.

Rafael Furcal - Shortstop

Rafael Furcal's disappointing season could mean he sits in place of Wilson Betemit at some point, and it doesn't help that his sore shoulder is making it difficult for him to bat left-handed.
The Braves called up prospect Andy Marte who could take over third base full time while Chipper Jones is out with a foot injury, while Betemit, who has played well this year, could get time at short. Furcal is hitting just .221 and has an OBP of .275, which is not what you're looking for out of your leadoff hitter. Jun. 7 - 8:49 am et
Source: MLB.com

Trade Bautista for Furcal?

This makes no sense from the Jays' perspective. Russ Adams has been a bit of a project this year, but Aaron Hill has shown he can play at this level. Between the two of them, I don't see us needing an SS.

Besides, Riccardi is a Moneyball guy and the Jays rarely steal. Combine that with Furcal being a FA and his OBP being poor, I don't see why we'd be interested. Unless there's a BIG bat involved.

Ted Rogers added a bunch of money to the payroll and the Jays are actually in contention in the AL East right now. All of the talk is that we're going to be buyers, not sellers this season.

Sorry if this amounts to a highjack, but that seems a little silly.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:28 am

The Braves wouldn't give anything resembling a BIG bat for Bautista. The last thing the Braves have to spare is a BIG bat. Any bat infact.......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers