Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper Out For The Year? Marte's Value Rises?

Postby cnt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:58 pm

I am not saying this is a definite fact, and I have not been able to find anything on the internet to back it up. But I just heard on ESPN News that Chipper may need surgery on his foot that would end his season. He is going for a second opinion. If this is true I guess this would shoot Marte's value up quite a bit. Just wanted to pass on the news since I did not see any posts about this yet. Once again have not been able to find a second source on this, so far only heard it today on ESPN News.
cnt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Jones placed on disabled list, may need surgery
Tue Jun 7, 2005 08:30 AM ET

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - Atlanta Braves key player Chipper Jones has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a foot injury and may face surgery that would sideline him for weeks, the team said.
Additional tests were scheduled for Tuesday to determine the extent of the injury to his left foot.

"We'll see what that turns up and what we need to do to fix whatever is wrong," Jones, 33, told MLB.com.

The Braves's third baseman injured the foot on April 24 and aggravated the problem in Sunday's game at Pittsburgh.

A meeting with team doctor Joe Chandler on Monday showed Jones appeared to have some ligament damage between the second and third toes.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=8718168
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:34 pm

if so, i'm pretty sure it would be Betemit taking Chipper's spot at 3rd- he's been seeing all the time there when Chipper sat. I don't see Marte getting much action except as a utility guy.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mbuser » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:36 pm

is this marte kid really ready to hit ML pitching?
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:41 pm

Cooner wrote:if so, i'm pretty sure it would be Betemit taking Chipper's spot at 3rd- he's been seeing all the time there when Chipper sat. I don't see Marte getting much action except as a utility guy.

there are rumblings here (in atlanta) that the braves might package furcal (and a couple of others) and try to trade for miguel bautista or a bat after the all-star break.

Rafael Furcal - Shortstop

Rafael Furcal's disappointing season could mean he sits in place of Wilson Betemit at some point, and it doesn't help that his sore shoulder is making it difficult for him to bat left-handed.
The Braves called up prospect Andy Marte who could take over third base full time while Chipper Jones is out with a foot injury, while Betemit, who has played well this year, could get time at short. Furcal is hitting just .221 and has an OBP of .275, which is not what you're looking for out of your leadoff hitter. Jun. 7 - 8:49 am et
Source: MLB.com
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:55 pm

Yikes, this is all very troubling as a Furcal owner. I have in on my H2H team and although he's hitting just above the mendoza line, his SB's are a tremendous help to a H2H weekly lineup. I guess it's time to move him out of town and sell??
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nmarq8 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:Rafael Furcal - Shortstop

Rafael Furcal's disappointing season could mean he sits in place of Wilson Betemit at some point, and it doesn't help that his sore shoulder is making it difficult for him to bat left-handed.
The Braves called up prospect Andy Marte who could take over third base full time while Chipper Jones is out with a foot injury, while Betemit, who has played well this year, could get time at short. Furcal is hitting just .221 and has an OBP of .275, which is not what you're looking for out of your leadoff hitter. Jun. 7 - 8:49 am et
Source: MLB.com

Looks like the entire Atlanta team is in disarray at the moment. I'd be very surprised to see furcal either sit or traded. as good as betemit has played recently, he's no furcal. They know they need to trade for some help in the pen, but as for marte, I agree with what was said before in that they're going to bring him along slowly and not force an opening for him right away.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:there are rumblings here (in atlanta) that the braves might package furcal (and a couple of others) and try to trade for miguel bautista or a bat after the all-star break.

woah! That's a big deal. Thanks for the info ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:32 pm

This looks like it has turned into a Furcal thread...

After 5 complete seasons career highs are as follows:

130 R (03) 61 RBI (03) 15 HR (03) 40 SB (00) .295 AVG (00) .394 OBP (00).

Not exactly great numbers but not terrible either. It seems he's become less patient at the plate drawing fewer walks and trying to hit for more power which is exactly what he shouldn't be doing. Maybe trading him for a CL & OF is the thing to do at this point and let Betemit play SS to see what the kid can do.

Though living in ATL, I'm against it and would like to see Furcal's avg & OBP climb for the rest of the season.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:This looks like it has turned into a Furcal thread...

After 5 complete seasons career highs are as follows:

130 R (03) 61 RBI (03) 15 HR (03) 40 SB (00) .295 AVG (00) .394 OBP (00).

Not exactly great numbers but not terrible either. It seems he's become less patient at the plate drawing fewer walks and trying to hit for more power which is exactly what he shouldn't be doing. Maybe trading him for a CL & OF is the thing to do at this point and let Betemit play SS to see what the kid can do.

Though living in ATL, I'm against it and would like to see Furcal's avg & OBP climb for the rest of the season.

everyone has pointed out the fact that furcal hits the ball in the air and tries to swing for the fences too much.

he should be taking advantage of his speed by hitting grounders, line drives and dropping bunts. he can swing for the fences when the bravos are up by 3 or 4 runs.....

he is solid on defense in the field and has cut down on hs errors some, but his leadoff stats are horrible. and bet has done the job on defense as a role player....and as an offensive player. all the braves want the people in the top of the order to do is get on base. and bet has done that...raffey has not.

now back to being a marte thread....

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers