The 2005 Draft Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 2005 Draft Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
nsulham wrote:Looks like the Sox got their future closer and centerfielder in Hansen and Ellsbury ;-D

It's good to be the champs ;-D

I'm glad you guys got your centerfielder. Because your centerfielder now is going to be our centerfielder...

Damon is already experimenting with less facial hair from what I hear...

That would be great. I can see it now. :D Come November, the Yanks sign 32-year-old Damon to a five-year contract, taking him through his 37th birthday, replacing 37-year-old Bernie Williams.

I support that move! ;-D

I'd support it too if the Sox moved Hanley Ramirez to centerfield. We need to get him an everyday spot in the lineup and it isn't going to be at SS with Edgar there.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:34 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:Me and my buddies were talking about the St. Johns reliever that went to Boston, hoping the Yanks would grab him at 17. Supposedly the Yankees wanted CJ Henry the whole time, but with Mo getting older I think it may have been better to grab a guy that can close eventually. Jeters not getting any younger either, but from the BaseballAmerica site, Henry doesn't have much skill at SS and will probably be moved to CF.

Yeah, Henry is most likely to be in the OF. If you look at the Yanks OF right now, Godzilla - Bernie - Sheff - Womack, you can't really blame them for going after an extremely talented young player. They really liked him and have had him working out for them several times. I personally like what the Yanks have been doing lately early in the draft, Duncan - Hughes - Henry, all are very talented kids.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:52 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:Me and my buddies were talking about the St. Johns reliever that went to Boston, hoping the Yanks would grab him at 17. Supposedly the Yankees wanted CJ Henry the whole time, but with Mo getting older I think it may have been better to grab a guy that can close eventually. Jeters not getting any younger either, but from the BaseballAmerica site, Henry doesn't have much skill at SS and will probably be moved to CF.

Would somebody please explain to me why in the hell you would ever draft a closer? IMO, closers are failed starters or middle relievers who can be developed in closers, ala the brew crew the last couple of years. By specifically drafting a closer you are gambling that they have the composure to close out games in the bigs. At least with a starter you could plug them in at MR or even closer if they don't work out there. Seems like way too much money to gamble with on a guy you want to pigeon hole into one role. It was my understanding that "closers" never used to be drafted and it is a recent trend to take these guys. Wonder why the change?
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:45 pm

I don't know much about Crowe, the Indians' first-round pick, but found the Baseball America description of him a little odd.

Crowe is an ideal leadoff man with a .500 on-base percentage, above-average speed and the kind of fiery personality that can light a fire under a team. He can be undisciplined at times at the plate and lacks raw power...

That's kind of a bizarre assessment...
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Steve-o wrote:

Would somebody please explain to me why in the hell you would ever draft a closer? IMO, closers are failed starters or middle relievers who can be developed in closers, ala the brew crew the last couple of years. By specifically drafting a closer you are gambling that they have the composure to close out games in the bigs. At least with a starter you could plug them in at MR or even closer if they don't work out there. Seems like way too much money to gamble with on a guy you want to pigeon hole into one role. It was my understanding that "closers" never used to be drafted and it is a recent trend to take these guys. Wonder why the change?

Look at Street and Cordero. College relievers can make it to the bigs fast, and have a significant impact. I think BP or BA did a study about this.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:00 pm

I'm pretty happy with the Cubs pick of Pawelek. He probably would have gone higher had he not been a Boras client, luckily Hendry has no problems negotiating with Boras as is shown by how he was signed so quickly. ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers