The 2005 Draft Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 2005 Draft Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:24 pm

wrveres wrote:
BeefSandwiches wrote:
wrveres wrote:wow ..

The Cubs already signed their first round pick, pick 20. They have only had his rights for about 3 hours 8-o


And he's a Boras client?!?! Maybe Scotty is getting soft... ;-)


8-o

Is he really?
Thats fricking unbelievable.


20. Cubs: Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville (Utah) HS
Pawelek topped out at 94-95 mph this year with an effortless delivery. Scouts say his feel for pitching, presence and composure are so advanced for his age that he’s the equivalent of a college sophomore. He has command of four pitches and knows how and when to use his curveball and changeup. Pawelek is the only high school player in this year’s draft who is being advised by Scott Boras and that could have a profound impact on where he is picked
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 611
Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby giants8307 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:38 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
giants8307 wrote:I saw Ricky Romero pitch against Cal Poly this year. He was really dominant against a competitive Poly team(#30). His sharp breaker and plus fastball were very impressive. He was pegged against garrett olson, who also was very impressive against a stacked fullerton team. He has a huge hook which accounted for the vast majority of his strikeouts. He went #48 to baltimore.


He went to Toronto.. ;-7


I was talking about Olson, but yeah, Romero went to Toronto.
Image
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1942
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:40 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:
wrveres wrote:
BeefSandwiches wrote:
wrveres wrote:wow ..

The Cubs already signed their first round pick, pick 20. They have only had his rights for about 3 hours 8-o


And he's a Boras client?!?! Maybe Scotty is getting soft... ;-)


8-o

Is he really?
Thats fricking unbelievable.


20. Cubs: Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville (Utah) HS
Pawelek topped out at 94-95 mph this year with an effortless delivery. Scouts say his feel for pitching, presence and composure are so advanced for his age that he’s the equivalent of a college sophomore. He has command of four pitches and knows how and when to use his curveball and changeup. Pawelek is the only high school player in this year’s draft who is being advised by Scott Boras and that could have a profound impact on where he is picked


They had a pre-draft agreement, I'm sure.

Hansen really excites me. If we can get him signed quickly, he could be up on the team next year. Some say this year, I think that's a little fast. He's got a Brad Lidge-like slider.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:42 pm

giants8307 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
giants8307 wrote:I saw Ricky Romero pitch against Cal Poly this year. He was really dominant against a competitive Poly team(#30). His sharp breaker and plus fastball were very impressive. He was pegged against garrett olson, who also was very impressive against a stacked fullerton team. He has a huge hook which accounted for the vast majority of his strikeouts. He went #48 to baltimore.


He went to Toronto.. ;-7


I was talking about Olson, but yeah, Romero went to Toronto.


Ohhh..Sorry about that! ;-)
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:46 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
nsulham wrote:Looks like the Sox got their future closer and centerfielder in Hansen and Ellsbury ;-D

It's good to be the champs ;-D


I'm glad you guys got your centerfielder. Because your centerfielder now is going to be our centerfielder...

Damon is already experimenting with less facial hair from what I hear...


That would be great. I can see it now. :D Come November, the Yanks sign 32-year-old Damon to a five-year contract, taking him through his 37th birthday, replacing 37-year-old Bernie Williams.

I support that move! ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm

I'm stoked. I've never been a big fan of drafting high schoolers. Glad we got near-ready talent. It took Greene what, a year and a half? Stauffer a year. This is good news, especially with the troubles we've had on the back end of the rotation in recent memory.

An excellent draft.

Two more moves need to be made soon, though: Resigning Ramon Hernandez and Bruce Bochy.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:52 pm

12 Straight College Kids. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:56 pm

I guess thats better than 12 gay college kids, right? :-b :-b





Not that there is anything wrong with that.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:57 pm

davidmarver wrote:I'm stoked. I've never been a big fan of drafting high schoolers. Glad we got near-ready talent. It took Greene what, a year and a half? Stauffer a year. This is good news, especially with the troubles we've had on the back end of the rotation in recent memory.

An excellent draft.

Two more moves need to be made soon, though: Resigning Ramon Hernandez and Bruce Bochy.


I wonder how much of a role Sandy Alderson took in this draft?
Its sure looks alot like some old Oakland A's drafts. (before Beane came in and messed everything up) :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:02 pm

Me and my buddies were talking about the St. Johns reliever that went to Boston, hoping the Yanks would grab him at 17. Supposedly the Yankees wanted CJ Henry the whole time, but with Mo getting older I think it may have been better to grab a guy that can close eventually. Jeters not getting any younger either, but from the BaseballAmerica site, Henry doesn't have much skill at SS and will probably be moved to CF.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact