What can we expect from Rolen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What can we expect from Rolen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What can we expect from Rolen?

Postby gws226 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:09 am

The news is reporting that he is two or three weeks away from returning. Im thinking of making a move to grab him off someone's DL in the comming days.

What can we expect the rest of the way from him?

Latest News

Jun. 6, 2005 - 10:33 pm et

Scott Rolen, who underwent shoulder surgery last month, took batting practice for the first time on Monday.
Rolen could return to the Cardinals' lineup in two to three weeks.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cards05 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 am

I am a huge Cards fan, but am also very objective. Like most, I feel that Rolen had a career year last year. I think that a 100% healthy Rolen would not have put up the numbers from last year. Add in the rust from the lost time and I think you can expect about 2 weeks of average performance followed by a return to 2003 numbers. That being said, Rolen is still a top 5 third baseman and will be a solid option. Not to steal your thread or anything, but what starting pitcher could you get for him at this point. I have him and would like to move him because Prior got hurt.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:43 am

When projecting a player's numbers, especially a veteran guy's stats, look at what he's done over the career and use that. If Rolen is back by the AS break, look between a .280-.300 AVG with 15-20 HRs the rest of the way.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 am

cards05 wrote:I am a huge Cards fan, but am also very objective. Like most, I feel that Rolen had a career year last year. I think that a 100% healthy Rolen would not have put up the numbers from last year. Add in the rust from the lost time and I think you can expect about 2 weeks of average performance followed by a return to 2003 numbers. That being said, Rolen is still a top 5 third baseman and will be a solid option.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. ;-D No one in their right mind should have been expecting a repeat of '04 even if he was healthy all year. When he finally does get back he should put up top 5 or so 3B production from that point on out would be my guess.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby TONYMONTANA » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:32 am

cards05 wrote:I am a huge Cards fan, but am also very objective. Like most, I feel that Rolen had a career year last year. I think that a 100% healthy Rolen would not have put up the numbers from last year. Add in the rust from the lost time and I think you can expect about 2 weeks of average performance followed by a return to 2003 numbers. That being said, Rolen is still a top 5 third baseman and will be a solid option. Not to steal your thread or anything, but what starting pitcher could you get for him at this point. I have him and would like to move him because Prior got hurt.

i know this may be the wrong forum, but i was offered Rolen for my d-train. what do you think?
TONYMONTANA
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gws226 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:09 am

cards05 wrote:I am a huge Cards fan, but am also very objective. Like most, I feel that Rolen had a career year last year. I think that a 100% healthy Rolen would not have put up the numbers from last year. Add in the rust from the lost time and I think you can expect about 2 weeks of average performance followed by a return to 2003 numbers. That being said, Rolen is still a top 5 third baseman and will be a solid option. Not to steal your thread or anything, but what starting pitcher could you get for him at this point. I have him and would like to move him because Prior got hurt.

Yes, but the question is.... he is really going to come back 100% or is this one of these 2 month return to form injuries... ala berkman?

To answer your question, I was gonna offer B.Webb.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:48 am

I expcect him to play 3b for the Cards.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cards05 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:57 pm

No. He will not come back 100%. As I said, I think for about 2 weeks he will be average at best. However, Berkman had to refrain from any baseball activities for a much longer time than Rolen did. Rolen is already taking BP and I think his adjustment period will reflect that.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers