I hate all-star voting time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I hate all-star voting time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I hate all-star voting time

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:17 pm

ignorant people voting for over-the-hill players...

in the NL, we have M. Piazza going ahead of guys like Ramon Hernandez and Nomar over any number of guys. heck, if you wanted an injured SS, why not vote for Barmes? at least he's hit the cover off the ball this year. and then you've got Beltran and Griffy in the OF while players like burrell, abreu c. lee, c. floyd... are having monster years. and rolen at 3B?! common! give me glaus or david wright!

arg. this time of year just reminds me how stupid and commercialized the game has become. when players are rewarded for having been good 5 years ago, it really irks me.

i don't even want to know how well sosa is doing on the AL side....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da1chipo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 pm

Yeah, its a freakin joke. When I heard Nomar was first in NL SS voting, I lost all faith in the general baseball spectating public.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby KPucks » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:38 pm

Amen to that. It's funny because most people say they vote for those people b/c they want to see the stars play the game, but those players aren't stars. Voting those players into the game lowers the level of competition in the All-Star Game, which really sucks for all fans watching the game and b/c the game decides home field advantage in the World Series.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 pm

way to beat a dead horse. ;-7

Everything that will ever be said on the matter has already been said: this season, last season, for as long as the game has existed.

There's a venting forum if you want to complain. Sorry for my lack of sympathy but we've all heard and said it all before about this game.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby matmat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:55 pm

i voted for nomar.
crap, I want him out there, hustling to first.
I don't freagin care if his muscles are attached to his skeleton with duct tape. he is a darn fine shortstop and I want his ass out there fielding grounders and running out the bases.
and I want to see piazza behind home plate, because, well, the only thing that is more interesting than watching pitchers hit in the allstar game is watching the catchers fall flat on their faces when they try to throw runners out.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:10 pm

it just seems to come sooner and sooner every year...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jjigglers » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:15 pm

While I dont think the All-Star game should have any impact on anything else, I dont think the All-Star game should necessarily be the most talented, or "best" players by our standards. Fantasy baseballers often forget that there are things NOT taken into account in their fantasy leagues, that the average viewer might be interested in.

Popularity, charisma, matchups between big name players, past stars vs. future stars. Real baseball isnt 5x5. Real baseball is entertainment, and different people are entertained by different things.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:18 pm

jjigglers wrote:While I dont think the All-Star game should have any impact on anything else, I dont think the All-Star game should necessarily be the most talented, or "best" players by our standards. Fantasy baseballers often forget that there are things NOT taken into account in their fantasy leagues, that the average viewer might be interested in.

Popularity, charisma, matchups between big name players, past stars vs. future stars. Real baseball isnt 5x5. Real baseball is entertainment, and different people are entertained by different things.

i agree with you completely, but some of those big name stars etc, arent/wont even be healthy for the game!

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jjigglers » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:19 pm

baseball6791 wrote:i agree with you completely, but some of those big name stars etc, arent/wont even be healthy for the game!

Heh, and then there's the voters who just look for names they recognize. Why they bother voting is beyond me.
Last edited by jjigglers on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:13 pm

jjigglers wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:i agree with you completely, but some of those big name stars etc, arent/wont even be healthy for the game!

Heh, and then there's the voters who just look for names they recognize. Why they both voting is beyond me.

Because they know who they want to see.

Face it everyone, most people vote for the players they want to see, end of story.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers