Medical Marijuana gets snuffed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Medical Marijuana gets snuffed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:44 am

WharfRat wrote:EDIT: Wanted to add - Mad had asked for a good reason to allow mj, and I'd meant to post this before but forgot: 1) This is supposed to be a FREE COUNTRY. Philosophically, we can debate on whether or not it really is, but if there's no reason to ban something, it shouldn't be banned. People have the right to partake in activities that don't harm a soul. I'd always thought the burden of proof was on the accuser. 2) The whole reasoning behind it being banned in the first place is FLAWED. If a law is unconstitutional, or simply built up on false pretenses, then it ought to be struck down. Simple as that. If there were legit reasons, that's one thing. But it never should have been banned in the first place. And now we have people scared of a plant. What is the world coming to?? :-°

I've kept my nose out of this one, but I agree with Wharf on this part..
Instead of the pro-pot crowd providing reasons why it should be decriminalized, the govt. should show why exactly its so bad for us and thus the need to protect the citizens from themselves. Personally, I would love the head of the DEA to testify in front of Congress what Anslinger did ,"
Most marijuana smokers are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes."
In my opinion, I feel it comes down to giving a person the choice on whether or not they use it, just like they are given the choice to drink or not drink, use tobacco products or not use them. I think for a lot of us, it boils down to what our concept of the government's role should be... Please no flaming here, as I am putting this in verrrrry simplistic terms to try and skirt the "no politics" rule, but I believe the govt.'s role should be that of "spokesperson" for it's citizenry, and not that of "parent".[/b]
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:59 am

For those keeping score at home, Anslinger was the head of the Narc Commission within the US Treasury from 1930-62, basically the Drug Czar of his day. I had to look it up too. :-D GiantFan's quote of him pretty much says it all.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:10 pm

I'd like for someone to tell me a logical reason why it is illegal to begin with.

So far all I can see is that is is illegal because of racism (Mexicans crossing into the Southwest), religious beliefs (Mormons), fear of the unknown (MJ was nonexistant in Northeastern states yet made illegal due to hype), ignorance (Evident in quotes from so called experts such as "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death." and "Marijuana turned me into a bat."),political advancement (Anslinger's Federal Bureau of Narcotics in competition vs the FBI) and political agendas (New Deal policies).

So tell me, WHY?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk