Yahoo on Frank Thomas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo on Frank Thomas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo on Frank Thomas

Postby gabenterprises » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:52 am

Is it just me or is the view to shut down the guy going to Colorado an odd stance to take? I think I'll be playing him in the util spot.

Jun 6 White Sox DH/1B Frank Thomas went 2-for-6 and hit his first home run, a 10th inning blast that extended the game, Sunday against the Indians.
Views: It appears as if Thomas is beginning to get his timing back. However, whatever momentum he has going into this week will be killed with Interleague play starting. We don't expect to see Thomas playing in the field, so you're probably safe shutting him down for the week.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:55 am

well it isn't bad advice at all. frank has said himself he wil not be playing in the field yet. he said his movement isn't quite that good yet. so id say its very good advice since i don't see hm playing much if at all.

"I don't think that's going to happen right now," he said. "I don't think that would be smart for anybody right now. I fought so hard to get back to swing the bat, [but] actually going out there and bouncing around and jumping around, I don't think [the left ankle] is ready for it.

taken from here

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

(may or may not need to sign up. but that's from frank himself)
Last edited by logan on Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo on Frank Thomas

Postby jblank » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:55 am

gabenterprises wrote:Is it just me or is the view to shut down the guy going to Colorado an odd stance to take? I think I'll be playing him in the util spot.

Jun 6 White Sox DH/1B Frank Thomas went 2-for-6 and hit his first home run, a 10th inning blast that extended the game, Sunday against the Indians.
Views: It appears as if Thomas is beginning to get his timing back. However, whatever momentum he has going into this week will be killed with Interleague play starting. We don't expect to see Thomas playing in the field, so you're probably safe shutting him down for the week.

Ok, but if the Sox dont have a place for him, how are you going to get any benefit? He has already said he wont be able to play in the field, so its doubtful he does anything more than pinch hit. Why take a chance that at best you get 4 at bats out of him all week when you could play a guy that has a chance at 30 at bats?

That just doesnt make any sense, but its your team. ;-D
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blackbearabroad » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:56 am

The recomendation to shut him down is based on how rarely he now plays the feild. In fact I beleive that he no longer qualifies at any position outside of UTL. I also don't beleive that he played any 1B while rehabing (but i could be wrong there)
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

My mistake

Postby gabenterprises » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:58 am

Whoops. I messed up. I didn't consider the NL won't have a place for him. !+)
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm

Big Hurt's days in the field are now done. Not only can't he play 1B at even close to a big league level anymore, the risk of injury if he tried would be huge.

Think Edgar Martinez...in other words, if he's not DH'ing, he's not playing (yes, I know Edgar's retired, I'm referring to his last several years prior to doing so).
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:57 pm

The fact is, they have this Paul Konerko guy at 1B, and I hear he's pretty good.

He got 1B eligibility a couple years ago due to Konerko really really sucking it up. With Konerko's production nowadays I don't see The Big Hurt stepping on the field to play defense soon.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:55 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:The fact is, they have this Paul Konerko guy at 1B, and I hear he's pretty good.

:-b :-b
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers