Ugueth Urbina still Detroit Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ugueth Urbina still Detroit Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:02 am

I've heard numerous things regarding the situation in Detroit now that Percival is back and I don't know what to believe. What is Trammel saying about how these 2 will be used?? Any Detroit homers have the inside track? Thanks...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:04 am

Urbina is still the closer. Percival will work middle relief/setup until he is proven to be healthy. What I am reading says that Urbina still has the inside track to the job if he keeps up this performance level.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:17 am

I think Det will keep him in the role as long as it takes to find someone take him off their hands for some nice prospects.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:17 am

That's the impression I'm getting as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Percival has a relapse based on his history of injuries. I like Urbina's long term prospects and I may even try trading for him now that his owners may be selling him.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:22 am

yep...trammel is saying that percy will be used in non-save situations and urbina will be the closer, but he didn't say uggie would close for the rest of the year.

DET is 10 games out of first and 6.5 out of a wild card spot...if their situation doesn't improve in the next month or so...someone might get traded...and i believe that someone would be urbina...isn't he a free agent next year? now...if the uggie man gets traded, he could close or he could be the set up man, so i think it's a bit of a gamble trading for urbina thinking that he'll def close somewhere else. i think percy will get the job eventually, if healthy. if you got percy...hang on to him...if you goit urbina...good luck.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:35 am

Without substantiation, I think once percy gets the rust off, he'll be the closer. Trammell will definitley let him earn i tthough, however, the main reason he isn't closing immediately is because he didn't do a rehab assign lkike the Tig's wanted him too.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby reynolds80 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:43 am

As Dane Cook would say, "Oh yeah!"
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jblank » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:49 am

A little birdie has told me that the odds are good that Urbina ends up with the Braves or Cubs. ;-)
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm in Detroit and follow the Tigers closely -- the situation is similar to that in FLA. The annointed closer needs to earn his way back into the role. Don't underestimate the fact that Trammell is kind of in the hot seat. His job is not secure and he has made a lot of questrionalble personnel calls. With Uggy pitching as well as he is, he'd be absolutely foolish to hand it over to Percy. I don't think Percy's psychological need to feel loved and respected as the "closer" really play into it. Not with the manager's job on the line.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:11 pm

d18Mike wrote:I'm in Detroit and follow the Tigers closely -- the situation is similar to that in FLA. The annointed closer needs to earn his way back into the role. Don't underestimate the fact that Trammell is kind of in the hot seat. His job is not secure and he has made a lot of questrionalble personnel calls. With Uggy pitching as well as he is, he'd be absolutely foolish to hand it over to Percy. I don't think Percy's psychological need to feel loved and respected as the "closer" really play into it. Not with the manager's job on the line.

While I agree with you, I still don't think a player should lose his job due to an injury.

Uggie's pitching very good right now and he may finish the season as DET closer. However, a couple of bad outings and/or blown saves will put Percy right back in the role.

If DET was smart, they would continue to let Uggie close and then shop him. I think he can still be an effective closer as he has demonstrated thus far and he should fetch some nice prospects.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers