Ryan Freel will be seeing even less playing time soon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Freel will be seeing even less playing time soon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Freel will be seeing even less playing time soon

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:38 am

I know there's already a Freel post on this page at the time of writing this, but I think this discussion of his future PT warrants it's own thread.

Not only are things dicey now for Freel with his inexplicable part time status, but things are looking to be getting alot worse for his PT.

Very soon Wily Mo Pena will be coming off the DL, and with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, and Pena in the OF, the few starts Freel has been getting out there look to be extremely limited soon.

More scary for Frell owners however, is that in the next few weeks, Anderson Machado should be coming off the DL. He is a young SS, that in my opinion is a below average to an OK player, that the new GM here seems to be completely in love with (no idea why). He has said multiple times recently on a local weekly sports talk show, something to the extent of ....I know we're playing poorly now, but just wait until Machado comes off the DL. He's a guy we were counting on before he got injured.....

The prevailing theory among fans around here is that when he comes off the DL, he very well may become the starting SS, Felipe Lopez will move to 2B (even though his defense is rather suspect there), and Freel will be the odd man out. My personal opinion is that Aurilla is getting extended playing time right now (in place of Freel at 2B), so that he gets one last chance to prove to ownership whether or not he should be the one that's cut to make room for Machado when he returns.

My suggestion for Freel owners is to try to trade him right now to the highest bidder, even if it's just for someone like Mark Grudzielanek, it may be worth it in the long run. Hopefully you can get at least little more for him though.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 am

If any of this is true, which given the way the Reds have managed their infield, outfield, and bullpen this year sounds totally believable, then it will officially qualify the Reds as the most bungled and inept set of management in the majors. When did they become the Bengals? Seriously, it is so ridiculous the things they are doing there. :-[ %-6 :-t Good thing for them all their moves are really paying off in the standings. :-/
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Rats

Postby gabenterprises » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:06 am

I'm a happy Freel owner; does anyone think he might retain FT playing time? I wish I could keep playing him... his numbers sure seem to merit PT.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:16 am

Crap x 100000000000

I picked him up because I thought he was gonna start playing...So I started him for 3 games here at COORS which he played 1 and went 0 - 5 and then Iguchi I benched and he went off...

Dern fantasy baseball gods are messing with me this year!

Looks like it might be neifi perez time
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 am

Alas, my love affair with Freel ended after he sat for a second day in a row at Coors. I dropped him yesterday for Street. :,-(
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby patthebat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:20 pm

I just droppd Taveras...and am holding onto Freel for SBs...Should I maybe think twice about this?
patthebat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:11 pm

patthebat wrote:I just droppd Taveras...and am holding onto Freel for SBs...Should I maybe think twice about this?

I know your pain, I'm in an NL-only league and have both of them. Freel as my starting 2B-man and Taveras as my 4th OF.

I could be wrong, but for whatever reason, the Reds seem to like him as a utility player off the bench. Doesn't make sense to me either :-P
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby demondemon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:36 pm

I dropped Freel a few months ago after he sat 3 days in a row.
After he blew up I regretted it big ime and I think anyone who drops him now will regret it as well. He will get playing time.

BTW...it wasnt all bad. I dropped him for Lopez. ;-D
demondemon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:45 pm

I think what's missed in all the talk of position shuffling and crowding in Cincy is that Freel's value to the Reds has never been based on his defense.
His big contribution is setting the table as a leadoff guy, a role that Jimenez failed in so miserably that he was sent down. Freel was playing regularly even though he was at a different position every game because of that offensive skill.
Those who own or are watching Freel should be much more concerned with Lopez taking over that leadoff spot (as he did in Coors) and being successful there.
That's what will take Freel out of an everyday job and turn him back into a dime-a-dozen utility schmuck whose speed potential will mostly be wasted on the bench.
Stay tuned.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KronJon » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Freel is starting today... hitting leadoff.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers