Sell High on Adam Eaton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell High on Adam Eaton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sell High on Adam Eaton?

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:10 am

It's clear that Eaton is having a good season thus far, but looking closer at the peripherals says otherwise. Eaton's giving up 9.33 hits per 9, his K/BB is only 2.08 and his WHIP is 1.34.

These ratios are pedestrian. He's 8-1 now, but sooner or later these numbers are going to catch up with him. I know Petco plays a factor in all of this, but I'm not confident his park can cover all these blemishes. Anyone have any thoughts? Perceived value in a trade?
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:13 am

Well, he was 1-6 at this time last year. Padres are 10-2 when Eaton starts; Eaton should be 9-1 but the pen blew a game two starts ago.

Eaton's been very good at getting himself out of jams and has gotten some timely ground balls this year. His curveball is much tighter. That said I don't think he'll win 20, although I do think he'll keep his ERA under 3.75. He should strike out 150. I'm not sure what you'd be able to get for him though and with the numbers he's putting up, in a keeper league he'd be a nice keeper for next season (nobody drafted him high).
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Sell High on Adam Eaton?

Postby Pedantic » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:50 am

pmacxx2 wrote:It's clear that Eaton is having a good season thus far, but looking closer at the peripherals says otherwise. Eaton's giving up 9.33 hits per 9, his K/BB is only 2.08 and his WHIP is 1.34.

These ratios are pedestrian. He's 8-1 now, but sooner or later these numbers are going to catch up with him. I know Petco plays a factor in all of this, but I'm not confident his park can cover all these blemishes. Anyone have any thoughts? Perceived value in a trade?

I don't think he's pitching over his head right now. DM is right. He should keep his ERA under 3.75 and strike out a fair amount. I don't think he'll have that much pull in a trade, so the best move right now would probably be the non-move.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:15 am

Selling Eaton high depends on your competition. If you have a weak owner or two, give it a shot and see if you garner a response. Kind of doubt it, though.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:46 am

I believe in always selling high on a pitcher if you can get a solid bat in return. Bats > Arms. Key to fantasy success is fleecing a guy by trading him a pitcher for a hitter of equal value.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:25 am

Depends what you can get for him but I don't expect the wheels to fall off. Petco is a great park to pitch in and the Padres are taking control in the NL West.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Cooner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:27 am

I'm not selling on Eaton. His K/BB aren't great, but his HR ratio is very nice (allowed 7 so far this season). Not a spectacular GB/FB guy, but he can get away with that in Petco. He's got the talent to be putting up the stats he is now, even if he maybe doesn't deserve them now. Obviously, if you get a great offer, take it, but I'm not actively shopping Eaton.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm suprised with the consensus bullish response on Eaton. I've been waiting on this guy to break out for 2 years now. He's having success, but in the end I see his ceiling being only that of a 2nd or 3rd starter in fantasy. I suppose I should appreciate him for what he is.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:05 pm

pmacxx2 wrote:I'm suprised with the consensus bullish response on Eaton. I've been waiting on this guy to break out for 2 years now. He's having success, but in the end I see his ceiling being only that of a 2nd or 3rd starter in fantasy. I suppose I should appreciate him for what he is.

My rule of thumb on pitchers is to get the ones that throw strikes. Eaton hasn't been spectacular but his main problem in 04 was the longball. He's been keeping the ball in the park much better this year.

He CAN be very dominant when he is on. I think there is still a chance that he will realize full potential by year's end. I project him to be a very good #2 type starter. I also don't think he has enough value to sell high.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby swyck » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:07 pm

As a 2nd or 3rd fantasy starter he's fine. If you can get a better SP or a big bat then do it, but I wouldn't shop him just to get rid of him.

SD is playing well. He could get to 20 wins, but there a lot of time left.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers