The Oliver Perez issue again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Oliver Perez issue again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Oliver Perez issue again

Postby alex42083 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:17 am

Perez had another good outing today, 7 IP 2 ER 7 Ks and 3BBs. Anyone watch the Pirates and has this guy finally figured it out or no? His last three decisisons have been Ws. Even though he's walking guys still, at least it isn't hurting him too much yet.
Any thoughts on if he's worthy of a consistent start in a fantasy rotation?
alex42083
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:27 am

My series was on the line and I had no problem starting him today.

I think he's really settled down. His velocity is back around 94-96 on his fastballs. He's still walking quite a few, but he's not missing the zone nearly as much. It seems like he's still just trying to play the corners a bit too much, with walks being the end result. I predict a huge second half. ;-D
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:32 am

ocmusicjunkie wrote:My series was on the line and I had no problem starting him today.

I think he's really settled down. His velocity is back around 94-96 on his fastballs. He's still walking quite a few, but he's not missing the zone nearly as much. It seems like he's still just trying to play the corners a bit too much, with walks being the end result. I predict a huge second half. ;-D

Same thing here. Whenever a pitcher has stuff that good, I throw him out there. Today I needed 3 K to win K's (opponent had no starter today) and he came through. I'm not saying he's Santana, but everyone remembers how ugly Johan's season began last season. Repeat? Anyway, I'm glad I snagged him while I could. Only cost me Jason Marquis and Octavio Dotel. Guess who has Huston. :-) . This is a keeper league too. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CPHFighter1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:25 am

He's still going to have some bumps along the way, as his control is still not what it was last year. ocs, you could be right about him 'nibbling on the corners'. His stuff is good enough to where he doesn't really have to do that. Earlier in the year, he seemed to get wild, then frusterated, and end up throwing fastballs down broadway just to get it over the plate. He needs to take that nasty slider right at these guys.
All that being said, he's shown enough consistency the last few starts for me to get him back in there. I think he'll be dominant at times the rest of the year, but I also think he's going to have a few implosions along the way.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:29 am

The velocity was anywhere from 94-97 on the "unofficial" FSN Pittsburgh radar gun. He is going to have control issues all year I'm afraid. He tries to get over either a curve or changeup all the time and misses badly. People aren't swinging at it, so then he has to pour in the fastball. Yesterday he missed his spot with the fastball badly and Langerhans got it for a HR.

He still got a good share of K's. ;-D

Still, you have to remember that the Reds and Braves are the only two teams he has done well against all year - and they are two of the poorest hitting teams in the majors in terms of team batting average (24th and 28th! 8-o).

If you aren't too concerned with WHIP, Perez might be back to possible start status. I'm waiting until he has a couple good outings in a row with better control before I start him because I have him in one league that counts BB also. :-B
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks for the insite MB - I have to keep playing him though - either that or take my chances rotating guys in off the WW.

Cmon Olly - pull it together man!
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pangbones » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 am

He has improved in each game since his stint on the DL. I sat Muder vs the Yanks to start Perez vs the D Rays this week. I think all of our patience with him is going to be rewarded big time the rest of the year.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:33 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Still, you have to remember that the Reds and Braves are the only two teams he has done well against all year - and they are two of the poorest hitting teams in the majors in terms of team batting average (24th and 28th! 8-o).

That's what I was going to mention as well. I watched part of the game yesterday and he seemed to have pretty good stuff early on. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:43 pm

thankfully he's getting better. i wonder when he'll cut down those hrs. everything is getting under control though.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:11 pm

If anyone caught the game on Turner South it sounds like a good bit of his problems are coming from inconsistency and lack of focus. About 15-20 pitches or so they were saying he threw almost sidearm which he shouldn't be doing. It's leading to mis-location and thus increasing BB and higher pitch counts cutting short his game. If he were consistently keeping his mechanics in check and not seeming "bored" out there as the announcers suggested, he might have better numbers for the year. But as mentioned, playing the Braves lately, a pitcher can afford a mistake or 15 and still come away with the W.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers