Let's talk shortstops - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk shortstops

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk shortstops

Postby yellowdog » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:56 pm

Below is the shortstop rankings from The Sporting News. In a total points league, with just about every category possible being worth something, where would you place Aaron Boone on this list? He qualifies in my league.

1 Alex Rodriguez
2 Nomar Garciaparra
3 Derek Jeter
4 Miguel Tejada
5 Jimmy Rollins
6 Edgar Renteria
7 David Eckstein
8 Cristian Guzman
9 Rafael Furcal
10 Rich Aurilia
11 Orlando Cabrera
12 Jose Hernandez
13 Omar Vizquel
14 Alex S. Gonzalez
15 Tony Womack
yellowdog

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jay » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:06 pm

Boone should be #7
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:01 pm

6 or 7. Rollins is too high for 5th, he cant hit or get on. Aurilia at 10 should be around 6 or 7 too.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby dnelms » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:28 am

I'm gonna agree with Hottie here... Rollins is listed way too high. Probably for SB potential. I'd move Aurilia up and would stick Boone in at 5 or 6 since you should move Rollins down to 7 or 8.
dnelms
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jnr98 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:38 am

Sorry this doesn't quite answer your question, but I think Tejada should be at least the #3 SS, if not the #2. When will this guy get his just due?

I also think Aurelia will be more valuable than where they have him.
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:59 am

What about Valentin. He played more games at 3rd last year but qualifies as a SS and will play there this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 460)

tejada, boone, valentin positioning

Postby rmoss01 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:47 pm

the fact that miguel tejada is below derek jeter is a disgrace. i would almost put tejada above garciaparra as well. if aaron boone qualifies for ss in some leagues, he would definetely be ahead of jimmy rollins. rollins is a young overrated version of derek jeter. jose valentin , on that nice, loaded white sox lineup, should be right behind aaron boone. rich aurilia is much better than his ranking. he is better than jimmy rollins. orlando cabrera is also underrated, and he should atleast be ahead of cristian guzman.
it's pretty obvious whoever did those rankings at the sporting news is pretty sadly east coast bias. another reason to put tejada above garciaparra- more HR's, more RBI's, and he doesn't get injured every year. nomar is great, don't get me wrong, but he is very injury prone. tejada is towards the top of games played in the past 4 years.
two words of caution from jimmy rollins last year: sophomore slump. if they think thats what happened (i don't buy it), then his numbers should go up, but he still can't hit that many homers or drive in many. he had a good start to last year, but then just hit the wall. pitchers have finally figured him out, kind of like what pitchers did to tony batista a few years ago, and he hasn't been the same since.
rmoss01

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:17 pm

I for one am glad to see Jeter ranked above Tejada. And in my opinion, he's probably worth more than Garciaparra as well. Saying that Jeter above Tejada is a "disgrace" is a little melodramatic, and also doesn't really take into account Jeter's true roto value.

Based on three year averages (actually, only a 2 year average of 2001/2002 for Garciaparra):

Jeter - .315 / 18 HR / 74 RBI / 27 SB / 117 R
Garciaparra - .338 / 22 HR / 108 RBI / 5 SB / 102 R
Tejada - .284 / 31 HR / 119 RBI / 8 SB / 106 R

Now, the comparison between Jeter and Garciaparra is close, because it's basically a trade-off between SB's or RBI's. Personally, I like Jeter more because of his impeccable consistency and because it's tough to get a lot of stolen bases and still have decent production in all the other categories. 18 HR's isn't a ton, but it's enough to make Jeter a solid 5-category player, even if he's only a 3 category stud (AVG, SB, R). On the other hand, Garciaparra's numbers are slightly higher in general (and his average is through the roof), so I can see why TSN would rate him higher.

Tejada, on the other hand, has never hit for average until last year, making him a stud in only 3 categories, a potential liability in AVG (his 3-year average is skewed by his .310 performance last year), and nothing much in terms of SB. (Actually, it's the fact that Tejada and Garciaparra don't steal bases that puts both of them lower than Jeter on my personal draft list.) Granted, Tejada contributes more in the power categories than any shortstop not named Rodriguez, and so is a great addition to any team, but will he hit .300 again? Who knows. If he does hit .300, then you're probably right that he's worth the second SS pick, but if he regresses to ealier years and hits .250, then I don't think he is.

All 3 are very close in terms of value, which is why they are all 2nd tier shortstops. Which one you prefer is really just a matter of taste.
Last edited by EugeneStyles on Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby jnr98 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:21 pm

I guess my POV comes from playing in a H2H league, not roto. Which is why I value Tejada as the #2 SS. And I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I'd take Tejada over Jeter and Garciaparra (solid pt about injury history).
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:26 pm

It's hard to value hitters strictly for H2H because different H2H leagues have different scoring systems. A good H2H system will value players similarly to roto, with guys having heavy isolated power usually beating out players who have decent numbers across the board. The best number for valuing H2H seems to be SLG (or OPS), with a few additional points for SBs.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers