I <3 Jason Schmidt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I <3 Jason Schmidt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby speedy27 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:34 am

TownDrunk wrote:I can tell you exactly what’s wrong with him: arm fatigue.

I think he’s in a very similar situation to what Halladay was in last season. The Giants need to shut him down for the rest of the year but of course, that won’t happen.

I tend to agree...I have had both Schmidt and Halladay the past two seasons in my keeper and both have had similar "dead arm" issues. It would be nice if they'd just shut him down at least until after the all-star break!

I wouldn't sell too low on him yet. It couldn't be a fluke the way he's pitched in the previous years...he'll hopefully come back strong after some much needed rest......I hope :-o
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jester » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:21 pm

To me it looks like he's throwing instead of pitching. I don't think he has the trust in his arm yet, so he's not letting it fly. That would explain how he is not getting the movement he has in the past, but he is still up there in velocity.

Having said that, his fastball is averaging around 91-92, which is slow for him. I don't think its arm fatigue, I really think its in his head. He doesn't lose his velocity at all after 90 piches, and I think you would if it was arm fatigue.

He needs to face some chumps to get his confidence back, then you will see the real Bull Schmidt!!
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OREO fan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:33 pm

another problem (last night anyway) was that his fastball was around 90-91 and his changeups were like 86 - that is enough to fool hitters somewhat but they will usually be able to foul it off - those that are just a little late on the fastball will just crush the change
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jester » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:37 pm

OREO fan wrote:another problem (last night anyway) was that his fastball was around 90-91 and his changeups were like 86 - that is enough to fool hitters somewhat but they will usually be able to foul it off - those that are just a little late on the fastball will just crush the change

Good point...did you also notice that when the hitters were taking good hacks at the fastball, they wern't missing by much. Alot of foul balls that were JUST missed. He kept me on the edge of my seat, cause I just felt he was getting lucky alot.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby max1889 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:42 pm

Jester wrote:
OREO fan wrote:another problem (last night anyway) was that his fastball was around 90-91 and his changeups were like 86 - that is enough to fool hitters somewhat but they will usually be able to foul it off - those that are just a little late on the fastball will just crush the change

Good point...did you also notice that when the hitters were taking good hacks at the fastball, they wern't missing by much. Alot of foul balls that were JUST missed. He kept me on the edge of my seat, cause I just felt he was getting lucky alot.

I thought that he was making decent pitches, but his combination of a minor speed difference between his change and fastball and the fact that his fast ball had almost no movement led to the Mets hitters (even Miekiwicz (sp) and Benson) getting good wood on the ball.
max1889
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Dodger Blue wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Dodger Blue wrote:I road Schmidt to a championship last year.

Lets break this down.

Subject noun Propernoun preposition noun adjective noun. I don't see a verb. Oh do I love ripping on Dodgers fans. :-b

Anyway, I don't think Schmidt will ever be able to match his K numbers, but if he becomes a smarter pitcher his ERA and wins can stay around where he's been. He doesn't have the same stuff he had.

So if I say "I road a bike down the street". Thats not a sentence?

A verb says what a person or thing does, and can describe. Do you speak English much?

BTW get off your freaking high horse. Nobody checks their grammer on these boards jerk.

Dude, "I road a bike down the street" literally means "I street a bike down the street". Lighten up man, I'm just playing around. ;-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:28 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Dodger Blue wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Dodger Blue wrote:I road Schmidt to a championship last year.

Lets break this down.

Subject noun Propernoun preposition noun adjective noun. I don't see a verb. Oh do I love ripping on Dodgers fans. :-b

Anyway, I don't think Schmidt will ever be able to match his K numbers, but if he becomes a smarter pitcher his ERA and wins can stay around where he's been. He doesn't have the same stuff he had.

So if I say "I road a bike down the street". Thats not a sentence?

A verb says what a person or thing does, and can describe. Do you speak English much?

BTW get off your freaking high horse. Nobody checks their grammer on these boards jerk.

Dude, "I road a bike down the street" literally means "I street a bike down the street". Lighten up man, I'm just playing around. ;-)

My favorite part of this conversation is the highlighted word above.

:-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby gofish » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:57 pm

nmarq8 wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing as i read through this topic. i owned halladay last year and own schmidt this year, and the news/updates are extremely similar.
I'm in the same boat...last year was frustrating enough not having Halladay and now this. :-/
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers