Mel Stottlemyre Yankee Pitcher Killer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mel Stottlemyre Yankee Pitcher Killer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mel Stottlemyre Yankee Pitcher Killer

Postby chrispistol3 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:13 pm

How he hasn't been fired yet- blows my mind. One pitcher after another has stepped in quick sand the second they get to NY. Everyone says it's the pressure of playing there. I say BS- it's Mel. He has been successful with one pitcher, that I can think of over the years...and that is Rivera.

Let the list of Stottlemyre screw-ups begin....

Brown
Vazquez
Clemens
Loaiza
Weaver
Mussina
Randy J

any others? or explanations why the finger is never pointed at him?
chrispistol3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:18 pm

I've wondered the same thing. There must be a personal reason why because to me it seems fairly obvious that Stottlemyre isn't a good pitching coach. Torre must be real close to him.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AngelFan416 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:19 pm

Loiaza?

Err, can't think of any. Maybe it's just cause a lot of the pitchers just aren't used to the NY spotlight?
AngelFan416
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:20 pm

AngelFan416 wrote:Maybe it's just cause a lot of the pitchers just aren't used to the NY spotlight?

I honestly will never buy that explanation.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:11 pm

I've been saying it for over a year now. Mel's just got to go.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Mel Stottlemyre Yankee Pitcher Killer

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:21 pm

chrispistol3 wrote:How he hasn't been fired yet- blows my mind. One pitcher after another has stepped in quick sand the second they get to NY. Everyone says it's the pressure of playing there. I say BS- it's Mel. He has been successful with one pitcher, that I can think of over the years...and that is Rivera.

Brown
Vazquez
Clemens
Loaiza
Weaver
Mussina
Randy J

I can't pin Brown on Stottlemyre. He's old and brittle. Why is Clemens on this list? Loaiza was horrible when he got to NY, and the fact that he started off quickly this season is in keeping with a career long trend. Weaver was absolutely a head case...and in fact, he still is. Mussina just isn't as sharp as he used to be and it's not Mel's fault that Unit is a middle aged man whose stuff has suddently become hittable.

But I will go along with you on Vazquez. His problems were more mechanical than anything else, and Stottlemyre did nothing to remedy the situation.

I don't rate Stottlemyre as an elite pitching coach by any means, but if you want to hand out blame, try Cashman/Steinbrenner. Any finger pointing has to begin right there.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Mel Stottlemyre Yankee Pitcher Killer

Postby KPucks » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 pm

chrispistol3 wrote:How he hasn't been fired yet- blows my mind. One pitcher after another has stepped in quick sand the second they get to NY. Everyone says it's the pressure of playing there. I say BS- it's Mel. He has been successful with one pitcher, that I can think of over the years...and that is Rivera.

Brown
Vazquez
Clemens
Loaiza
Weaver
Mussina
Randy J

Yeah, I can't believe Mel allowed Clemens to go from Cy Young pitcher to uhh... Cy Young pitcher. I think you have a valid point about Mel, but use vaild info to back up your claim.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:32 pm

Sub out Clemens for Jose Contreras.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:33 pm

Add Pavano also...although I think that guy just plainly sucks...not sure whose fault that is...same for Wright.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:41 pm

How long has Stottlemyre been the pitching coach there? Mussina was 17-11, 18-10, 17-8 with ERAs of 3.15, 4.05, 3.40 and didn't show any drop off until last year (12-9, 4.59), which I think can be blamed on age and wear and tear as easily as it can be blamed on Mel. With Brown I think they got damaged goods and I would blame that on Cashman/The Boss. Clemens shouldn't be on your list, and I think it's still too early to judge with the Unit.

I definitely don't think he's a good pitching coach, and I wouldn't want him coaching the staff for my favorite team, but I don't know if he's deserving of all this blame.

Can you imagine if Mel was the pitching coach for a Dusty Baker managed team? That would be quite a sight.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers