Mulder, what's the deal Cards fans ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mulder, what's the deal Cards fans ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mulder, what's the deal Cards fans ?

Postby titanut » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:48 pm

12 starts this year, he's given up 5 or more runs in 5 of them. I haven't
seen him pitch. The results suck, but, how does he look? IMO, you
can't trust a pitcher who gets lit up 50% of his starts.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1197
Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:15 pm

I wasn't expecting the Mulder of the first half of '04, but I wasn't expecting him to get lit up quite like this this early either. :-/ He's been kinda streaky from what I've seen. He will have a couple of good starts (like COL last week) followed by an outing like today. I don't want to venture a guess as to what he'll do the rest of the year because at this point he seems unpredictable to say the least as seen by his last two starts.
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm

Yeah, something's odd with Mulder, with such great outings and some real stinkers. Still, I didn't expect him to be an elite starter this year and avoided him in drafts because he was brutal in the 2nd half last year and his K/9 has dropped from '02 to '03 and again from '03 to '04.

This year, it's dropped again, down to 5.33. Luckily, he has the Cardinals offense behind him, so his record is 7-2.

Interesting look at the Oakland trade of Mulder, after ~1/3rd of the season:

Mulder: 77.2 inn, 5.33 k/9, 2.1 k/bb, 4.17 era, 1.34 whip
Haren: 69.1 inn, 6.75 k/9, 1.9 k/bb, 4.15 era, 1.38 whip

Plus, Mulder is making $6.5M this season to Haren's $325,000 and Oakland got 2 other players in the deal.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:06 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:Yeah, something's odd with Mulder, with such great outings and some real stinkers. Still, I didn't expect him to be an elite starter this year and avoided him in drafts because he was brutal in the 2nd half last year and his K/9 has dropped from '02 to '03 and again from '03 to '04.

This year, it's dropped again, down to 5.33. Luckily, he has the Cardinals offense behind him, so his record is 7-2.

Interesting look at the Oakland trade of Mulder, after ~1/3rd of the season:

Mulder: 77.2 inn, 5.33 k/9, 2.1 k/bb, 4.17 era, 1.34 whip
Haren: 69.1 inn, 6.75 k/9, 1.9 k/bb, 4.15 era, 1.38 whip

Plus, Mulder is making $6.5M this season to Haren's $325,000 and Oakland got 2 other players in the deal.


Seriously. Rynman is sitting pretty with his preseason prediction...

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:36 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:Yeah, something's odd with Mulder, with such great outings and some real stinkers. Still, I didn't expect him to be an elite starter this year and avoided him in drafts because he was brutal in the 2nd half last year and his K/9 has dropped from '02 to '03 and again from '03 to '04.

This year, it's dropped again, down to 5.33. Luckily, he has the Cardinals offense behind him, so his record is 7-2.

Interesting look at the Oakland trade of Mulder, after ~1/3rd of the season:

Mulder: 77.2 inn, 5.33 k/9, 2.1 k/bb, 4.17 era, 1.34 whip
Haren: 69.1 inn, 6.75 k/9, 1.9 k/bb, 4.15 era, 1.38 whip

Plus, Mulder is making $6.5M this season to Haren's $325,000 and Oakland got 2 other players in the deal.


Seriously. Rynman is sitting pretty with his preseason prediction...

;-D


Particularly in any auction leagues!!!
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby RynMan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:00 am

beltrans_boy wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:Yeah, something's odd with Mulder, with such great outings and some real stinkers. Still, I didn't expect him to be an elite starter this year and avoided him in drafts because he was brutal in the 2nd half last year and his K/9 has dropped from '02 to '03 and again from '03 to '04.

This year, it's dropped again, down to 5.33. Luckily, he has the Cardinals offense behind him, so his record is 7-2.

Interesting look at the Oakland trade of Mulder, after ~1/3rd of the season:

Mulder: 77.2 inn, 5.33 k/9, 2.1 k/bb, 4.17 era, 1.34 whip
Haren: 69.1 inn, 6.75 k/9, 1.9 k/bb, 4.15 era, 1.38 whip

Plus, Mulder is making $6.5M this season to Haren's $325,000 and Oakland got 2 other players in the deal.


Seriously. Rynman is sitting pretty with his preseason prediction...

;-D


Shhhhh!!!! :-D Murphy is near.....

But check out the stats in my sig....this is ridiculous how close their stats are right now. The wins column really represents the teams that they are playing on.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby stumpak » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:51 am

The interesting thing about the K/9 decline is that by moving to the NL, it shoudl have gone UP, all things being equal. So even a modest decline between his '04 rate and '05 rate is actually a really big decline once you adjust for the DH.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:59 pm

All I know about Mulder I learned during the time he spent as a millstone around my team's neck the second half of last season.
The only surprise about his uneven starts this spring is that he's had a few good ones.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3240
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Offshore

Postby JTWood » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:24 pm

stumpak wrote:The interesting thing about the K/9 decline is that by moving to the NL, it shoudl have gone UP, all things being equal. So even a modest decline between his '04 rate and '05 rate is actually a really big decline once you adjust for the DH.

This goes with the philosophy that the Cardinals seem to have adopted last year. They had an All-Star infield, and they told their pitchers to keep it over and low and let the guys behind them do the work. The defense isn't quite as spectacular this year, but the same attitude seems to be there with the pitchers. That probably explains the drop in Ks - he's just not trying to strike guys out as much.

As for the equal stats, I have a feeling that Mulder does just a little more for clubhouse confidence, and I'd rather have Mulder pitching Game One or Two of the World Series than Haren. Let's face it: That's why Mulder's in St. Louis and Haren's in Oakland right now.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 7:18 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact