Really close to dropping Hafner... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Really close to dropping Hafner...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Really close to dropping Hafner...

Postby Twinskies » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:40 pm

I've just about given up on this bum. He's been a freakin black hole at my 1B spot, so I'm thinkin I'll drop him for Daryle Ward and possibly make a deal for another 1B later on. Can anyone give me a substantial reason why I should stick it out with Hafner?
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:42 pm

Well, no there is nothing I can really come up with to get you to keep him. I've got him in my most important league and I'd love him to come around....even more so now since I just traded D. Lee for pitching help.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bselig » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:45 pm

His strong second half last season. Obviously he has been a terrible draft pick for you so far, but do you really want to watch someone else in your league catch his upside after you just absorbed months of his downside?
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 pm

It totally depends on your league, who's available and how many bench spots you have available. Believe it or not, I actually passed up Delgado because I could get Hafner a couple rounds later and I thought he was a better value. Tell me that doesn't hurt. Everybody mentions his strong second half. He's only played one full season. Hardly an accurate sample size. Not only that, but at this point last year, he was doing much better.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:11 pm

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. The entire Indians lineup has been in a yearlong funk. But there are plenty of reasons to think that things are going to change for the better over the second half. Crisp and Gerut are back and could insert some energy into the lineup. VMart is finally coming around, as is Broussard, who also had a big second half last year.
Hafner just turned 28, an age when a lot of hitters figure things out, and last year had a big second half himself, as previously mentioned. Its still too early to bail on the guy given these reasons above and the fact that he hit 28-109 with a .311 average last year, rock solid in any league if you ask me. Cutting bait for a Daryl Ward is a not what I would do.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gws226 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Same here, Hafner was my value pick @1B. I really made no alternative plan @ 1B once I grabbed him, so I've been moving and hunting around for a grab that can replace him. I don't plan on dropping him outright though.

I also still think he's gonna come around, especially since Vmart seems to be turning a corner, and bussard(sp) is playing well, so Im targeting bid level 1B (berkman, Nevin, Utley etc etc)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby scb175 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks for posting this Bud!!! I needed that dinger
scb175
College Coach
College Coach

f

Postby joeg24 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:04 pm

Not that it matter to much, but the Indians fired their hitting coach, maybe the new dude figures it out, althought the previous one was a slightly decent bat in his hayday....
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikey whipwreck » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:38 pm

I would insert someone else into the 1b slot until Hafner heats up a bit...but if Ward is your next best option, then I would just stick with Travis. I definitely wouldn't drop him.
mikey whipwreck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby scb175 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:48 pm

He's hittin .353 in the last 17 AB's.. not including today. I personally thought he was just starting his hot streak. However, i'm sure they will sit him all week against the NL. REDICULOUS
scb175
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers