Return to Baseball Leftovers

KC closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:30 am

But there is also this from Matt Romig (Yahoo):
KANSAS CITY ROYALS RED HOT
1st Chair: Mike MacDougal
2nd Chair: Jeremy Affeldt, Ambiorix Burgos
Skinny: Not a fan of bullpen committees, new Royals manager Buddy Bell went ahead and named MacDougal his closer last week. Up to the task, the former All-Star responded with three saves in as many chances, two at the expense of the Yankees. Not a bad turnaround for a guy who was demoted twice last season. MacDougal walked 25 batters in 32 minor league innings in 2004. Affeldt returned to action on Saturday and is saying all the right things. He wants his old job back, but understands that MacDougal has the hot hand right now. GM Allard Baird told MLB.com that Affeldt will "get an opportunity to close out again." Clearly, Baird realizes what fantasy owners have come to learn over the past two years – MacDougal can't be trusted over the long-haul.

I don't think it'd be safe to say MacDougal has a long-term lock on the job. Affeldt started the year as the closer, and by most accounts is simply a better pitcher than MacDougal. It's not totally surprising that the Royals are giving Affeldt some opportunities in non-save situations to get some work in, considering he just spent two months on the DL and needs to face some ML hitters again. But I just have a tough time believing the Royals have any long-term confidence in MacDougal, especially once Affeldt proves he is healthy and a viable option. Burgos has proven he is not an answer.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:42 am

KC is probably hoping that MacDougal does well and they can trade him for some cheap talent and then put Affeldt back in.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:16 am

Congratulations if you do pick correctly on KC's closer. Enjoy your future 20 save opportunities, 10 of which will probably be blown the way they play.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby toofunnyy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:20 am

My point was, it wasn't his opinion. The manger came out and said he's the man, he's the man. The GM might have other ideas, who knows.

But don't jump on the guy because he quotes the manager. I see people pull stuff out of thier ass all the time, at least this guy has some reason to believe it.

The bigger point is the royals suck, and if you're trying to get some saves by grabbing the royals closer, you're probably not going to win your fantasy league.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ravenmad22 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:04 pm

toofunnyy wrote:
ravenmad22 wrote:
thehat wrote:The only thing that appears concrete is that Affeldt is out of the closing mix in KC. Mac has the job for now, and Burgos is his apparent stand-in.

That's not concrete, that's your opinion. How can you know what the situation is when Affeldt came off the DL this saturday? There has only been one royals game since then. Affeldt isn't the closer now and god knows if he will be, but he's not out of the picture by any means.

Maybe you don't understand what concrete means.

"Dick Kaegel, of Royals.MLB.com, reports that Kansas City Royals RP Mike MacDougal has been named the team's closer by MAN Buddy Bell. The team had used a bullpen-by-committee approach under interim MAN Bob Schaefer."

So the words "named closer" and "concrete" go together. And he knows the "situation" because he "reads" reports from the "manager".

Maybe you're a moron. Burgos is the primary set up man? That didn't come from the manager. MacDougal is the closer for now. but to say Affeldt has no shot at regaining the role belies macdougals career 1.5 WHIP. MacDougal is a bad pitcher.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:07 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:
toofunnyy wrote:
ravenmad22 wrote:
thehat wrote:The only thing that appears concrete is that Affeldt is out of the closing mix in KC. Mac has the job for now, and Burgos is his apparent stand-in.

That's not concrete, that's your opinion. How can you know what the situation is when Affeldt came off the DL this saturday? There has only been one royals game since then. Affeldt isn't the closer now and god knows if he will be, but he's not out of the picture by any means.

Maybe you don't understand what concrete means.

"Dick Kaegel, of Royals.MLB.com, reports that Kansas City Royals RP Mike MacDougal has been named the team's closer by MAN Buddy Bell. The team had used a bullpen-by-committee approach under interim MAN Bob Schaefer."

So the words "named closer" and "concrete" go together. And he knows the "situation" because he "reads" reports from the "manager".

Maybe you're a moron. Burgos is the primary set up man? That didn't come from the manager. MacDougal is the closer for now. but to say Affeldt has no shot at regaining the role belies macdougals career 1.5 WHIP. MacDougal is a bad pitcher.

You better watch out for the mods!! This is the Bible belt Cafe and there's no fighting allowed :-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers