A-Rod at shortstop- cool - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod at shortstop- cool

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:25 pm

blankman wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:I don't think Carl Crawford is out of position in CF, he's a good outfielder with great speed. Hideki Matsui isn't the athlete that Crawford is, doesn't have that speed and isn't as good an outfielder.

I hate to break it to you, but Carl Crawford is a LEFT FIELDER, hence my point that you don't need to be a slugger to play Left Field.

;-D ;-D
Carl even with rocco out this year so far has still only played centerfield in 7 games
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:08 pm

Yep, my mistake, Crawford's a left fielder. I thought the D-Rays started the year with Crawford in centerfield because Baldelli was out, then I didn't care about the situation much, so I didn't know Carl has been back in left field for the most part.

But, I never said you need a slugger in left field. Crawford isn't a slugger but he's a much better hitter than Womack. I said you need a bat in left field because it's traditionally a spot where you put a good hitter. The Yankees are giving away that spot by having Womack in there.

I also never said the Yankees can't win without a great player in LF or 2B. They could get enough from everyone else and find some pitching and still win. Back when they had Curtis, Ledee, and Knoblauch (who had some good years with the Yankees), they had much better pitching, usually in the top 5 in ERA. They don't have that kind of pitching this year, so they need to score more runs to compensate. Therefore, playing Womack in LF is a bad idea.

I don't see where I'm attempting to make myself feel better. I don't care about the Yankees. If they want to hinder their chances for the playoffs, that's fine with me. They've got problems this season but it doesn't matter to me. As for my team, I wish they had $203 million to spend on their roster.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:17 am

How good defensively is Rey Sanchez? While I agree that a team would never want Russ Johnson starting, SS is definitely a more important defensive position than 3B. If Arod is significantly better at SS than Sanchez, than I say start him there. I don't know the answer to this because I haven't watched Sanchez play recently.. but just my thoughts (which I'm sure all were aching to hear.)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cooner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:34 am

i don't quite get how this is lasting so long. Clearly ARod is the Yanks 3B, he plays 3B- everyday, no matter how good of a SS he is. But that's not what I don't get. Womack/Matsui aren't moving around on a day-to-day basis, they've been moved for good. There's really no comparison here- giving a guy daily looks at a new position is completely different from a single-game substitution. Torre has decided this is the best way to get his best players into the game without sacrificing too much on defense. In fairness, other orientations don't exactly leave the Yanks in a much better spot defensively, and certainly not offensively. Could they go out and look for a top hitting LF, or even better a speedy, solid defensive CF? Sure. But it's not like those kinds of players grow on trees, even if money does (especially not in mid-season when you don't have many good prospects to deal with).
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:58 am

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Bummer. Guess I got a little excited there thinking how great it would be to be able to plug in A-Rod at shortstop for the rest of the season.

It completely depends on your league rules....

Some do allow you to gain elgibility after 1 appearance, others have up to 25 (highest Ive ever seen), some count starts, others just appearances in a game. I play in ONE league where he's gained SS elgibility -- most take at least 5.

Just go read your league rules :)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:06 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
blankman wrote:Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.

Unbelievebly perfect.

Yupp. That sums it up. If anyone really thinks ARod should be playing SS for the Yanks, you are retarded and may need to have your head examined.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:57 am

Look, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Joe Torre needs to think of all the Fantasy managers out there and plug Arod into SS for two more games. :-b
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:27 am

agchris02 wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Bummer. Guess I got a little excited there thinking how great it would be to be able to plug in A-Rod at shortstop for the rest of the season.

Some do allow you to gain elgibility after 1 appearance, others have up to 25 (highest Ive ever seen), some count starts, others just appearances in a game. I play in ONE league where he's gained SS elgibility -- most take at least 5.

Checked the league rules. He requires 5 starts or 10 appearances. It looks to me like he's had 3 starts already according to his career stats for the year. I'm not going to hold my breath though, because although it would be wonderful for my team to move him to SS the chances of it happening are way too remote. Maybe if Yahoo puts a blurb next to his name saying it may happen I'll get excited.

How sick is Jeter? Gee, I really really hope it's not too serious. :-? :-b
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:45 am

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
agchris02 wrote:

Checked the league rules. He requires 5 starts or 10 appearances. It looks to me like he's had 3 starts already according to his career stats for the year. I'm not going to hold my breath though, because although it would be wonderful for my team to move him to SS the chances of it happening are way too remote. Maybe if Yahoo puts a blurb next to his name saying it may happen I'll get excited.

How sick is Jeter? Gee, I really really hope it's not too serious. :-? :-b

Again, Alex has 0 starts at SS this season and had 0 last year. He has made 3 appearances at short this season, but has never started there.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Yupp. That sums it up. If anyone really thinks ARod should be playing SS for the Yanks, you are retarded and may need to have your head examined.

Uh, yeah, what are you 12? Calling someone retarded is junior high stuff.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers