A-Rod at shortstop- cool - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod at shortstop- cool

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:46 am

He should be playing SS regardless. Now thats a VERY old conversation......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1945
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:49 am

Just wanted to add that Russ Johnson is awful.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:55 am

blankman wrote:Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.



Very well said. ;-D
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1197
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Xanadu

Postby Simulacrum » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:27 am

Bummer. Guess I got a little excited there thinking how great it would be to be able to plug in A-Rod at shortstop for the rest of the season.
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:01 pm

blankman wrote:
Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.


That makes sense, I'll buy it. I might not do the same thing myself, but Joe Torre's won a few more World Series rings than I have. On the other hand, right now the Yankees are playing a 2B (Womack and his .301 OBP/.289 SLG) in LF and a LF (Matsui) in CF, so they can get the mighty bat of Robinson Cano (.258/.275/.402, .677 OPS) in the lineup, so I wouldn't say having two players playing out of position is currently something they're trying to avoid.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:42 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:blankman wrote:
Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.


That makes sense, I'll buy it. I might not do the same thing myself, but Joe Torre's won a few more World Series rings than I have. On the other hand, right now the Yankees are playing a 2B (Womack and his .301 OBP/.289 SLG) in LF and a LF (Matsui) in CF, so they can get the mighty bat of Robinson Cano (.258/.275/.402, .677 OPS) in the lineup, so I wouldn't say having two players playing out of position is currently something they're trying to avoid.


Again, you're wrong.

Matsui played CF in his Japanese career and Womack has played a full season in the outfield before. The OF is very different from the IF and it's much easier to learn LF when you've already learned RF (Womack) than to move around in the IF. Matsui is now the starting CF, because Bernie was not doing well enough to be a starter. Womack is the starting LF now.

2B is not Womack's position. His position is LF, but he's able to play 2B. Matsui's position is CF, but he can play LF. There's a difference.

The fact that each player is now the starter at that position (Womack: LF, Matsui: CF) negates your statement, because their current position is their position.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:03 pm

So you want to claim that Womack's position is LF when, until this season, he hadn't played regularly in the outfield since 1999, but A-Rod shouldn't play any shortstop even though he was a great shortstop as recently as 2003?

Womack is not an asset to the team in LF, as a hitter or fielder. In LF, you need a bat, not Rey Sanchez-lite.

Matsui is not who you want in centerfield on a championship-caliber team.

Just because the Yankees are starting them at those spots doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they're not playing out of position. The Yankees defense is dead last in Defensive Efficiency (the ability to turn hit balls into outs) and those two guys are part of the problem.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:29 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:Womack is not an asset to the team in LF, as a hitter or fielder. In LF, you need a bat, not Rey Sanchez-lite.



Then what do you call Carl Crawford?

It all depends on what's on the rest of the team. Look at the Yankees. They've got "bats" as you say at 3B, RF, 1B, DH, CF, C. They hardly need a "bat" in Left Field.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:19 pm

I don't think Carl Crawford is out of position in CF, he's a good outfielder with great speed. Hideki Matsui isn't the athlete that Crawford is, doesn't have that speed and isn't as good an outfielder.

And true, the Yankees have plenty of bats to cover for Womack's weak hitting, which is good because they need them with the way their pitching staff has looked this season.

Yankees leftfielders: .248/.312/.329, .641 OPS, last in the American League and 29th in MLB.

Yankees AL-rank in OPS by positiOn:
C-4th
1B-4th
2B-10th
SS-4th
3B-1st
LF-14th
CF-9th
RF-1st
DH-12th

Looks like 2B, LF, CF, and DH are problem areas.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:I don't think Carl Crawford is out of position in CF, he's a good outfielder with great speed. Hideki Matsui isn't the athlete that Crawford is, doesn't have that speed and isn't as good an outfielder.


I hate to break it to you, but Carl Crawford is a LEFT FIELDER, hence my point that you don't need to be a slugger to play Left Field.

As for the rest, Matsui is obviously underperforming power and average-wise and Cano is a 23 year old ROOKIE. Derek Jeter hit .250 his first year up with the club and look at him now. You're very naive if you expect a 23 year old rookie to have no problems in his first time up from the minors.

And since when do you need a top player at every position to win? You're telling me the Yankees can't win without a great player in LF or 2B? Look at their championship players at those positions, Curtis, Ledee, Knoblauch..harldy a top player in the bunch. It's just sheer foly to expect the team to have a top-4 player at every position.

Finally, rather than attempt to make yourself feel better by putting fault on the Yankees, take a look at whoever your team is and most likely they've got more problems than the Yankees do.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact