A-Rod at shortstop- cool - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod at shortstop- cool

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-Rod at shortstop- cool

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:53 pm

So A-Rod steps into shortstop for the duration of the game. This counts as one appearance, right? 4 more appearances until he gains SS eligibility or am I crazy? Jeter's not hurt, is he? I haven't been watching the game.

Someone please enlighten. Is it thinkable he could possibly get the 5 appearances?? That would be amazingly awesome. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:58 pm

doubt he gets 5 games at SS...Jeter is out with a cold
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:04 pm

First of all I think it's 10 appearances or 5 starts. Also I'm pretty sure he's already appeared in atleast 1 game at SS this year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby silverZ » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:10 pm

Jeter is out with a cold and Arod had a start at ss when jeter was out after being hit by a pitch on the elbow.
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby blankman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:53 pm

silverZ wrote:Jeter is out with a cold and Arod had a start at ss when jeter was out after being hit by a pitch on the elbow.

That's incorrect.

A-Rod has 0 starts at SS as a Yankee. This was his 2nd appearance at SS this season, because Sanchez was pinch hit for, and Jeter was too sick, forcing Russ Johnson to 3B.

Alex fielded a pop up in the outfield and a grounder at SS in the game.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:26 am

Isn't it strange that the Yankees seem to go out of their way to NOT let A-Rod play any shortstop? Jeter played 154 games last year. That means there were 8 games in which the Yankees needed a shortstop and how many games did A-Rod start at short? None. Zilch. Zero. A-Rod played 2 innings at shortstop last season. I think it's universally agreed upon that A-Rod's a better shortstop (uh oh, I can hear the Derek Jeter Lovers already), but the Yankees won't let him play there, even with Jeter not starting.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby bd3521 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:30 am

It's smart. Saves the controversy and media attention.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:34 am

Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:52 am

Well, with the way A-Rod has been playing 3B this year, he's a candidate for DH. Some truly awful plays. But then again, there have been a lot of awful plays by the Yanks this year.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:33 am

blankman wrote:Bobby, that's very old news by now. Alex's days as a shortstop are over with this team. Alex is the starting third baseman now and as such, on days off for Jeter, he will continue to play his position. He's paid to be the team's 3B, not a utility infielder. That's why teams have backups (see Sanchez at SS).

Think about it. When Jeter's not in the game, you have to have a backup playing SS or 3B if for no reason Alex were to play SS. By definition, the backups know how to play the positions they are backups for and act as substitutes if the starter is not playing. Now the Yankees could have Alex play his position and put Sanchez in at SS or have Alex play a position he hasn't played in a year plus and have Johnson play 3B. No matter what you have a backup at 3B or SS. You thereby do not make any benefit by taking a starter out of his position just because you feel like it.

Unbelievebly perfect.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers