The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:40 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.

So the .300 BA, about 30 HR, and 120+ RBI isn't worth anything? 3rd OF you say? Where are these OFs that fall off trees that you speak of? In my OPS league, Garret Anderson is statistically better by about 25 spots.


How do you calculate that? Anderson's OPS is lousy for an OF, Mench is over 100 points higher. Anderson is on pace for like 21 homeruns, not 30. Face it, he's not that great anymore. However, please don't assign words to me that I never said. I didn't say he wasn't worth anything...in fact I traded for him. He's just not THAT great and I think he is way overrated on this forum. Lots of guys hit .300 and most guys with 120 Rbi's hit with a lot more power and OPS than Anderson. 2 categories doesn't make a guy great, does it?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Irish » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:48 pm

I don't count OPS in my leagues, so maybe that's why I like him so much.

But a guy that CONSISTENTLY puts up a .300 average, 110-120 RBIs, 25 HRS, 85 runs, is someone that should not go in the 12th round.

Mench could become that type of player, but he doesn't play enough and hasn't proven anything YET.

I like Mench, but you can't put him in a Garret anderson category yet.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2163
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:32 pm

davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.


Look at his 2003 stats. He was injured last year. How again is he overrated?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:02 pm

davus wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.

So the .300 BA, about 30 HR, and 120+ RBI isn't worth anything? 3rd OF you say? Where are these OFs that fall off trees that you speak of? In my OPS league, Garret Anderson is statistically better by about 25 spots.


How do you calculate that? Anderson's OPS is lousy for an OF, Mench is over 100 points higher. Anderson is on pace for like 21 homeruns, not 30. Face it, he's not that great anymore. However, please don't assign words to me that I never said. I didn't say he wasn't worth anything...in fact I traded for him. He's just not THAT great and I think he is way overrated on this forum. Lots of guys hit .300 and most guys with 120 Rbi's hit with a lot more power and OPS than Anderson. 2 categories doesn't make a guy great, does it?

Just going by the statistical ranks on Yahoo (these are all stats, no opinion) GA is like 90 and Mench is 115. Of course, is your league 6x6 or does it use OPS instead of BA? That could be a difference.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:30 pm

davus wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.

So the .300 BA, about 30 HR, and 120+ RBI isn't worth anything? 3rd OF you say? Where are these OFs that fall off trees that you speak of? In my OPS league, Garret Anderson is statistically better by about 25 spots.


How do you calculate that? Anderson's OPS is lousy for an OF, Mench is over 100 points higher. Anderson is on pace for like 21 homeruns, not 30. Face it, he's not that great anymore. However, please don't assign words to me that I never said. I didn't say he wasn't worth anything...in fact I traded for him. He's just not THAT great and I think he is way overrated on this forum. Lots of guys hit .300 and most guys with 120 Rbi's hit with a lot more power and OPS than Anderson. 2 categories doesn't make a guy great, does it?

You came to a thread titled "The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread" and proceeded to bash him, then sound surprised that it ticked people off.

This guy is awesome. He played with a sore back last year, and it obviously took a hit on his power numbers. He still hit .300, and if he had the same number of ABs he had in 2003, he would have driven in 108 runs. He's got incredible consistency. And its obvious that his back is fine, because the power has returned. He should be good for about 30 homeruns again. He also drives in a ton of runs. Enjoy the ride this year with one of the most consistent producers in the game.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 316
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:10 pm

josebach wrote:
davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.


Look at his 2003 stats. He was injured last year. How again is he overrated?


Oh right, I forgot some people play in leagues that count stats from 2 years ago instead of the current year.. :-?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:13 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:
davus wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.

So the .300 BA, about 30 HR, and 120+ RBI isn't worth anything? 3rd OF you say? Where are these OFs that fall off trees that you speak of? In my OPS league, Garret Anderson is statistically better by about 25 spots.


How do you calculate that? Anderson's OPS is lousy for an OF, Mench is over 100 points higher. Anderson is on pace for like 21 homeruns, not 30. Face it, he's not that great anymore. However, please don't assign words to me that I never said. I didn't say he wasn't worth anything...in fact I traded for him. He's just not THAT great and I think he is way overrated on this forum. Lots of guys hit .300 and most guys with 120 Rbi's hit with a lot more power and OPS than Anderson. 2 categories doesn't make a guy great, does it?

You came to a thread titled "The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread" and proceeded to bash him, then sound surprised that it ticked people off.

This guy is awesome. He played with a sore back last year, and it obviously took a hit on his power numbers. He still hit .300, and if he had the same number of ABs he had in 2003, he would have driven in 108 runs. He's got incredible consistency. And its obvious that his back is fine, because the power has returned. He should be good for about 30 homeruns again. He also drives in a ton of runs. Enjoy the ride this year with one of the most consistent producers in the game.


I didn't think anyone was ticked off, I thought this was just a conversation.

Anyway, I don't think he's on a pace for 30 HR's, more like 20. I just don't see the allure in an OF who hits 25-30 HR's when there are guys who produce almost twice that much power. He doesn't have speed to make up for it. All he will do for you is BA and RBI's and it's not like he is going to bat .350 and hit 150 RBI's...his BA is good and his RBI's are good, combine that with below avg Runs, HR and SB and you get someone who is a consistent producer but at a sub-excellent level.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm just stating my opinion. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:42 pm

Oh right, I forgot some people play in leagues that count stats from 2 years ago instead of the current year..


Ok that comment is just plain asinine, The poster you were responding to was merely stating that 2003 was his last full season because of the injury last year.

In addition, GA is currently the 21st ranked OF in fantasy, even with his "limited" power thus far. The thing is though, that the power is actually just starting to get going.

Say what you will about him being a 2 cat player, the fact is that in 2003, he hit 315 with 29 HRs, 80 Rs, 116 RBIs and 6 SBs and as "modest" as those numbers may appear to you, they were good for the 40th most productive among all fantasy players, not just OFs and not just hitters.

And just for fun, based on his numbers right now, he's on pace for about 23 HRs, and 140 RBIs. I'm sure he will hit more HRs than that, and I'm sure he will have fewer RBIs, but the pace is pretty strong thus far.

People here overrating him here you say? No, I'm afraid you are underrating him.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3135
(Past Year: 234)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm

As others have posted, IMO Anderson was vastly underated this year. The guy flat out is a 5 th Round player that we all got in the 8-10th rounds.

great value pick this year
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 382
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:07 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
Oh right, I forgot some people play in leagues that count stats from 2 years ago instead of the current year..


Ok that comment is just plain asinine, The poster you were responding to was merely stating that 2003 was his last full season because of the injury last year.

In addition, GA is currently the 21st ranked OF in fantasy, even with his "limited" power thus far. The thing is though, that the power is actually just starting to get going.

Say what you will about him being a 2 cat player, the fact is that in 2003, he hit 315 with 29 HRs, 80 Rs, 116 RBIs and 6 SBs and as "modest" as those numbers may appear to you, they were good for the 40th most productive among all fantasy players, not just OFs and not just hitters.

And just for fun, based on his numbers right now, he's on pace for about 23 HRs, and 140 RBIs. I'm sure he will hit more HRs than that, and I'm sure he will have fewer RBIs, but the pace is pretty strong thus far.

People here overrating him here you say? No, I'm afraid you are underrating him.


You're sure he'll hit more than that? Based upon what? Oh yeah, 2003. :*)

I guess Jason Schmidt is pretty much the best pitcher avaialable in fantasy baseball cause, you know, he was awesome in 2003. :-D Never mind that he is getting shelled over and over again this year, cause that doesn't count. Only 2003 counts. ;-)

Come on guys, who cares what Anderson did in 2003. "What have you done for me lately?" is the question at hand. For a supposed elite OF he has not done enough, plain and simple. He was hurt last year? He still got 400 at-bats and his slugging pct was way down just like it is this year. You people need to look reality in the eye and realize that fantasy baseball is a ever-changing animal, 2003 doesn't matter any more. Look at who he is today, he is no longer elite and just barely was even in 2003 when he was supposedly a monster. His consistency was what made him into a stud, now he is consistently less powerful than before and he doesn't steal any bases. That leaves you with a barely above-average guy. I hope he proves me wrong cause I have him on my team, but I don't count on anything more than he has done thusfar and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slow down as the season wears on.

Sorry this offends some of you so much, but it's just reality.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: byronzx1, johnnienp3, TheTrith and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact