The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Official Garrett Anderson Appreciation Thread

Postby Irish » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:55 pm

I know it's been said before, but this guy is putting up great numbers and his name rarely gets the respect it deserves cause he is so low profile.

I should know, I've seen users in the trade forum call him trash :-? , and all the guys in my league call him a throw-in when i offer him up, primarily based on Yahoo rankings ofcourse(they don't seem to trust their own intellects I guess).

So, here's to you Garrett Anderson. I hope you get the respect you deserve soon. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:59 pm

Amen. He ruined the Sox today so I can't like him too much, but the guy's a great hitter and the model of consistency (with the exception of part of last year). He's pretty consistently undervalued because there are so many outfielders that have desirable numbers, but he's always good for production across the board.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zergeR » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:01 pm

in a mid-season draft, where do you think he would go?
zergeR
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Irish » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:06 pm

zergeR wrote:in a mid-season draft, where do you think he would go?

9th round, but mid-season drafts are funny, since guys like Barmes would go in the 4th probably.

I know I got Garret Anderson in the 11th round in my pre-season draft, but that was after last years "injury-plagued" year.

But he's the definition of consistency, and should go in the 7th round at the latest IMO.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:31 pm

In my 18 team H2H 6x6, I think I got him in the 5th to be my CF. (We start CF/OF/OF) That worked out real nice. Matsui and Bay round out my OF. Though they started out a bit slow. But GA has been an awesome steal for anyone who got him this year.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikey whipwreck » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:56 pm

Garrett has been one of my favorites for a while now. He has good power, drives in a lot of runs, and is always near or above .300. He'll even get you a handful of steals. He is a very good fantasy option and has always been underrated. The only knock on him is he doesn't walk much. But in standard 5x5, that doesn't hold any weight.

;-D Garrett Anderson
mikey whipwreck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:24 am

zergeR wrote:in a mid-season draft, where do you think he would go?

I got him in the 12th, right after Green and Sammy Sosa. Madness.......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby reznorsboy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:47 am

He has always been one of the best pure hitters. He has slown down a bit the past few years but is stil a great hitter. ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm

Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:30 pm

davus wrote:Interesting. I don't see the extreme value of an OF with below average power and no speed...that being said. I picked him up in a trade and I think he'll work out as a 3rd OF but he needs to start hitting more extra base hits to bring that slugging pct. up.

He's one of those guys that is a great guy to have on a real baseball team, but not nearly as much as a fantasy player. 2 years ago I would have had a much higher opinion of him, but I don't see how you can not agree that he has lost something.

He's about as valuable as a Kevin Mench, I'd say...and I picked Mench up in round 19. (*disclaimer, my league scores OPS which is where Mench gains back anything on the RBI's from Garret and then some)

Honestly, in my opinion Anderson is pretty overrated on this forum.

So the .300 BA, about 30 HR, and 120+ RBI isn't worth anything? 3rd OF you say? Where are these OFs that fall off trees that you speak of? In my OPS league, Garret Anderson is statistically better by about 25 spots.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers