Mannys uniform - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mannys uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Shock6822 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Why is it such a big deal? Lighten up and enjoy the game, or go do something else if you can't handle something as trivial as this
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Why is this even a big deal in the baseball sense? No one cares. It has no effect on the game whatsoever, drop it. The only people who are making a big deal about it are the old guys here anyways.

Just because someone is older than you doesn't make their position invalid (no pun intended). I, for one, enjoy a little spirited debate with people who don't think the same way I do.

How boring would these forums be if everyone agreed on everything all the time?

This doesn't even have anything to do with fantasy baseball! Unless the outturned pocket is affecting the aerodynamics of Manny when he swings, producing drag and slowing his bat speed, and causing him to miss and strike out more. :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Mark my words, you guys are going to have problems with some of the things the generation coming up behind you does. It's the circle of life. :-)

I'm only 31, BTW, but even if I was 19 years old, I still wouldn't be able to figure out why people wear their pants below their ass and have to grab their pants with one hand to keep them from falling down. (I've seen both white and black kids doing this) If any of you guys could explain this to me, I would be eternally grateful.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Irish » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:44 pm

josebach wrote:
Irish wrote:What's the reason that old guys wear their pants jacked up around their belly buttons?

How come old people wear stupid crap and no one says anything, but young black athletes wear stuff that is considered abnormal or "stupid" and they are criticized for it, as though they don't respect the game.

It's ridiculous and stupid that someone can be criticized for tilting their hat to the side. There are underlying issues there that you can't admit to. They are raised in a culture that doesn't wear the same things that you do. Try embracing a culture instead of being afraid of something different.

If you want, let's start a robot league where no one is different and personalities aren't allowed, that should solve these problems.

;-7

What underlying issues are those, Irish? You're telling me that because I don't like it when professional athletes purposely wear their uniforms incorrectly that I'm racist? What a joke. You obviously are completely missing the entire point of this thread. Why do you think the NFL, NBA and MLB have so many rules dictating how players should dress? Oh yeah, because they're racist. ;-D

There's a fine line between racism and opinions that directly relate to race. I do not believe you are racist, but it is funny how all the things that are brought up as problems and disprespectful in this thread are things that have come from black culture (aka saggy pants, 1 leg up 1 leg down, tilted hats).

You are associating these things with disrespect, which is, in my opinion, showing disrespect for the culture that considers these things(whether stupid or not to you), as part of their fashion or style.

Sure, white kids have been emulating black culture for a while now, but it doesn't take away from the fact that all the things that are disrespectful are shallow things derived from african american youth culture. Where-as people that are really hurting the game could wear perfect uniforms but actually do harmful things.

It's just ridiculous that things like this get under people's skin. You act like they should "grow up and act professionally". Maybe you should do the same.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:18 pm

Irish wrote:There's a fine line between racism and opinions that directly relate to race. I do not believe you are racist, but it is funny how all the things that are brought up as problems and disprespectful in this thread are things that have come from black culture (aka saggy pants, 1 leg up 1 leg down, tilted hats).

You are associating these things with disrespect, which is, in my opinion, showing disrespect for the culture that considers these things(whether stupid or not to you), as part of their fashion or style.

Sure, white kids have been emulating black culture for a while now, but it doesn't take away from the fact that all the things that are disrespectful are shallow things derived from african american youth culture. Where-as people that are really hurting the game could wear perfect uniforms but actually do harmful things.

It's just ridiculous that things like this get under people's skin. You act like they should "grow up and act professionally". Maybe you should do the same.

u·ni·form ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yn-fôrm) adj.
1) Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.
2) Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.
3) Being the same as or consonant with another or others.
4) Unvaried in texture, color, or design.

Obviously, you have a hard time undestanding the concept so I went through the trouble of posting the definition for you.

It really doesn't get any clearer than that. If you're a professional, act like it. The playing field is not the place to make a fashion or cultural statement, no matter what color you are. Do you understand now?...

McFly?????
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Irish » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:36 pm

josebach wrote:
Irish wrote:There's a fine line between racism and opinions that directly relate to race. I do not believe you are racist, but it is funny how all the things that are brought up as problems and disprespectful in this thread are things that have come from black culture (aka saggy pants, 1 leg up 1 leg down, tilted hats).

Obviously, you have a hard time undestanding the concept so I went through the trouble of posting the definition for you.

It really doesn't get any clearer than that. If you're a professional, act like it. The playing field is not the place to make a fashion or cultural statement, no matter what color you are. Do you understand now?...

McFly?????

a·nal
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or near the anus.
2. Psychology.
1. Of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, roughly from ages one to three, during which gratification is derived from sensations associated with the anus and defecation. The anal stage is preceded by the oral stage and followed by the phallic stage.
2. Indicating personality traits that originated during toilet training and are distinguished as anal-expulsive or anal-retentive.

I'm not sure what happened, but ya might want to ask your parents.
:-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Irish wrote:
josebach wrote:

McFly?????

a·nal
adj.

2. Psychology.
1. Of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, roughly from ages one to three, during which gratification is derived from sensations associated with the anus and defecation. The anal stage is preceded by the oral stage and followed by the phallic stage.
2. Indicating personality traits that originated during toilet training and are distinguished as anal-expulsive or anal-retentive.

Oh dang, I think he got you there. :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:57 pm

Irish wrote:
josebach wrote:

McFly?????

a·nal
adj.

2. Psychology.

Based on your vast knowledge of the sexual development of toddlers, your avatar and your utter endorsement for prepubescent behavior on the baseball field, I'm wondering if you don't have some type of sexual fetish for children. I certainly hope you're not studying to be a school teacher. Just remember, it's only a crime if you go through with it. 8-o
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blackbearabroad » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 pm

I’m not even really sure how I want to address this conversation but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there…
While I would by no means oppose, and probably support MLB taking a more proactive approach to uniforms (like the NFL or NBA) players pants being too baggy, hats being crooked, or pockets hanging out doesn’t really affect a game. When I watch a game I could barely care less about how the players wear their uniform, but more about how the played the game. One of my earlier baseball memories is the classic off the field, and in the dug-out image of Junior wearing his cap backwards smiling, this is someone who played the game as “right” as Pete Rose ever did (except he wasn;t a scumbag who scraficed the integrity of the game, may he be banned forever).
I also recall the complete lambasting on talk radio of the pitcher the Red Sox called up from AA last year for wearing his hat crooked, Abe Alverez. It warrants mentioning that he is legally blind in one eye and does so the balance the lighting. While he is the only player I know to have a medical reason for his “disrespect” his example epitomizes whats wrong with the classic knee-jerk reaction damning players for stepping out of line.
As for being professionals, they are professional and I don’t have any problem with team’s including dress code stipulations in their general contracts, but at the same time these professionals are just playing a game at a high leval, and are little more then professional athletes. They aren’t that far removed from professional dart players in regards to career paths.
And if anyone is dumb enough to completely generalize entire cities and fan bases, get real. Boston and New York are not that different.
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:38 pm

josebach wrote:
Irish wrote:
josebach wrote:

McFly?????

a·nal
adj.

2. Psychology.

Based on your vast knowledge of the sexual development of toddlers, your avatar and your utter endorsement for prepubescent behavior on the baseball field, I'm wondering if you don't have some type of sexual fetish for children. I certainly hope you're not studying to be a school teacher. Just remember, it's only a crime if you go through with it. 8-o

Wow, he looked up "anal" on dictionary.com, he must be a pedophile. Along with every child psychologist in the world. :-t He just got you good and you had no other response but to call him a pedophile basically.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers