Mannys uniform - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mannys uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:46 pm

josebach wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:When I played baseball in highschool I wore one pant leg up and one down, people were always saying I just did it to be different or stand out or something, but the fact of the matter was that I prefered wearing my pants up, but I was always scratching u pmy left calf when I slid (due to my horrible sliding form, but whatever), so by wearing that leg down I protected it...but people didn't see it that way.



My posts and others like it were not aimed at just Manny. Does the new fad of wearing the hat crooked have a reason? You didn't by chance where your hat crooked too, did you?

With the exception of being spiked, I've never seen anyone damage their calf from sliding. The reason being is that the weight of your body can't possibly be on your calf when you slide. That's why sliding pants don't cover the calf. Even if your story was true, knowing that 99% of other people that wear 1 pants leg up and 1 down are only doing it to be rebellious and different, why would you want to come across that way. No coach I've ever had would have put up with that kind of crap.

Oh, and if the pocket being tucked in bothered Manny so much, he could cut it out.


I see what you're saying, but why isn't the fact that they prefer it reason enough? Why does it matter if someone wears their hat crooked? Maybe it is more comfortable for them that way, not everyone is exactly alike. Does every single thing you do have a reason? And again, you are assuming that it's to stand out when you have absolutely no knowledge to base that assumption on.

And my story was true, I used to tear my leg up in soccer from sliding too...I don't know how, just really bad technique, as I mentioned earlier.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Irish » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:51 pm

What's the reason that old guys wear their pants jacked up around their belly buttons?

How come old people wear stupid crap and no one says anything, but young black athletes wear stuff that is considered abnormal or "stupid" and they are criticized for it, as though they don't respect the game.

It's ridiculous and stupid that someone can be criticized for tilting their hat to the side. There are underlying issues there that you can't admit to. They are raised in a culture that doesn't wear the same things that you do. Try embracing a culture instead of being afraid of something different.

If you want, let's start a robot league where no one is different and personalities aren't allowed, that should solve these problems.

;-7
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2163
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:57 pm

The fact of the matter is that baseball is a business and the appearance of the players reflects on the team and it's ownership. It's no different than working at an office. The idea is to look professional; it's not a game, it's your job and you are being paid to do it. Because you are paid for your job, you owe it to your employer to maintain a proper appearance because your appearance is a reflection of your employer. Whether dress code should be left up to individual owners is another matter.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:01 pm

One question for those that think there's nothing wrong with any of this:

If you say an employer at a Law Firm. Do you think it would be ok if one of your employees showed up without his shirt tucked in, or some buttons undone or his tie untied etc?

I mean he's just showing his personality ;-7

Baseball is a business and it's no different from an office. The attire is different but the expectations for keeping with that attire should be the same.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:07 pm

blankman wrote:One question for those that think there's nothing wrong with any of this:

If you say an employer at a Law Firm. Do you think it would be ok if one of your employees showed up without his shirt tucked in, or some buttons undone or his tie untied etc?

I mean he's just showing his personality ;-7

Baseball is a business and it's no different from an office. The attire is different but the expectations for keeping with that attire should be the same.


If he is one of the best lawyers of his generation, I think I might be able to overlook it. As long as he is still "producing" and his appearance didn't hinder his performance, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Manny is one of the best hitters of his generation, and he puts fans in the seats. He helped Boston win its first championship in almost a century. Sure, he's got his quirks, but he is in no way, shape or form disrespecting the game of baseball.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:10 pm

Why is this even a big deal in the baseball sense? No one cares. It has no effect on the game whatsoever, drop it. The only people who are making a big deal about it are the old guys here anyways.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:12 pm

blankman wrote:One question for those that think there's nothing wrong with any of this:

If you say an employer at a Law Firm. Do you think it would be ok if one of your employees showed up without his shirt tucked in, or some buttons undone or his tie untied etc?

I mean he's just showing his personality ;-7

Baseball is a business and it's no different from an office. The attire is different but the expectations for keeping with that attire should be the same.


This is an apples and oranges comparison. Nobody (unless I somehow overlooked it) is saying that the owner of the Red Sox can't make certain stipulations on how his employees dress. Everyone is complaining that they don't like the look of it, which doesn't matter. If having your pocket out, or your hat to the side isn't against your teams policy then why should it matter if you do it? For instance, I think the Yankees rule against facial hair is ridiculous, outdated, and silly...but I also think that every player on the Yankees should be clean shaven. They know what they are signing on for so they shouldn't expect otherwise. As long as there isn't a team rule against it then Manny (or whoever else) can wear their pants however they wish and they shouldn't be judged for it.

But to answer you question, yes that would be ok with me. In fact, if I was in charge every day would be casual dress day and ties would always be optional. :-)
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:13 pm

Irish wrote:What's the reason that old guys wear their pants jacked up around their belly buttons?

How come old people wear stupid crap and no one says anything, but young black athletes wear stuff that is considered abnormal or "stupid" and they are criticized for it, as though they don't respect the game.

It's ridiculous and stupid that someone can be criticized for tilting their hat to the side. There are underlying issues there that you can't admit to. They are raised in a culture that doesn't wear the same things that you do. Try embracing a culture instead of being afraid of something different.

If you want, let's start a robot league where no one is different and personalities aren't allowed, that should solve these problems.

;-7


What underlying issues are those, Irish? You're telling me that because I don't like it when professional athletes purposely wear their uniforms incorrectly that I'm racist? What a joke. You obviously are completely missing the entire point of this thread. Why do you think the NFL, NBA and MLB have so many rules dictating how players should dress? Oh yeah, because they're racist. ;-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:14 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Why is this even a big deal in the baseball sense? No one cares. It has no effect on the game whatsoever, drop it. The only people who are making a big deal about it are the old guys here anyways.


Just because someone is older than you doesn't make their position invalid (no pun intended). I, for one, enjoy a little spirited debate with people who don't think the same way I do.

How boring would these forums be if everyone agreed on everything all the time?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:21 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Why is this even a big deal in the baseball sense? No one cares. It has no effect on the game whatsoever, drop it. The only people who are making a big deal about it are the old guys here anyways.


Just because someone is older than you doesn't make their position invalid.


Don't trust anyone over 30!

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 11:28 hours
(and 100 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact