Mannys uniform - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mannys uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby silverZ » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:57 pm

Are you guys even sure manny leaves his pocket untucked on purpose? The same thing happens to me all the time after i take my batting gloves out and i never notice.
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Manny always does it. It's no accident. I think he believes it's good luck. Based on this season though, it's not working.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:57 am

The only reason to purposely wear a hat crooked or turn a pocket inside out is to draw attention to yourself. That's it. There is no other explanation. By doing this, you are putting yourself above the team. This isn't an old school new school issue. It's about respect or lack thereof for their team, teammates and the sport in general. It also sets a very poor example for all the kids watching.

As for everybody that doesn't think there's anything wrong with it... when do you get to the point where you draw the line? When they start wearing their pants below there ass showing their underwear? When they start wearing their hat turned around backwards? How about puposely leaving their zipper down or maybe pushing one sock down and the other up? Would that be ok? I mean seriously, if the way a player dresses is about the player and not the team, what's the point of even having uniforms?

If you're a professional, act like it. Don't act like you're some punk kid fresh out of junior high. I just wonder if the players that do stuff like this realize how much of a joke most fans think they are?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Green Monster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:42 am

Are people really whining about back pockets? It's not like he's wearing his jock on the outside of his uni. You're the same people who probably say that players disrespect the batting helmet by leaving too much pine tar on it. Give me a break.

In response to bselig...have you been to a Yankee game? There's alot of "class" in the seats from dugout to dugout, but outside of that its pretty much a war zone. Let me say this though, i love watching a game at the Stadium. Its truly a special place, but its far from "classy".

As far as the players being the standard of excellence, how would you respond to the following incidents which happened all within the last year:
-ARod's slapping of the ball incident
-2 admitted steroid users (Giambi & Sheff)
-Unit pushing the camera man his first visit to NYC

Just wanted to point out that the Yanks aren't exaclty the team that others model themselves after anymore.
Green Monster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:00 am

Green Monster wrote:Are people really whining about back pockets? It's not like he's wearing his jock on the outside of his uni. You're the same people who probably say that players disrespect the batting helmet by leaving too much pine tar on it. Give me a break.

In response to bselig...have you been to a Yankee game? There's alot of "class" in the seats from dugout to dugout, but outside of that its pretty much a war zone. Let me say this though, i love watching a game at the Stadium. Its truly a special place, but its far from "classy".

As far as the players being the standard of excellence, how would you respond to the following incidents which happened all within the last year:
-ARod's slapping of the ball incident
-2 admitted steroid users (Giambi & Sheff)
-Unit pushing the camera man his first visit to NYC

Just wanted to point out that the Yanks aren't exaclty the team that others model themselves after anymore.

A-Rod's ball thing wasn't thought out at all, he had about 3 seconds to react to getting tagged and you or anyone else can't say you would or wouldn't have done the same since it's a split second reaction. Granted, it's a bush league play but you can't point it out as something bad. I'm sure if he had the same play he wouldn't do that again.

This steroid thing gets me steaming Ok, I'll give you Giambi and Sheff admitting to steroids (Sheff barely did) but I'll take honesty over losers that won't admit doing it when it's the most obvious thing in the world. Guys like McGwire, Pudge, and JuanGone get no respect from me. I can't say for sure but my money would be on that Schilling did it too along with Clemens.

RJ pushing away the camera is just put out of proportion. Who cares, would you want a camera in your face in public? My guess would be no.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:17 pm

Surfs up wrote:I also want to say I mean no disrespect toyou young posters. You have grown up in a different time.You don't know anything else. You haven't seen what the game used to be like. Except of course in old films. Things change. Hell baseball changed back when the Astro dome was built and they started playing inside. I grew up in a time when it meant something to play the game.It mean something to the players. Think we will ever see anybody play as many games as Cal Ripken jr played? And for the same team?Nope not a chance of even 20% straight games. Somebody made the point about getting the uniform dirty. They don't even like to do that anymore. Have to look good for the pictures.Players can't bunt anymore. They play when they want to. Hardly ever play with an injury.Juan Gonzalez is a good example of that. What a waste of talent. Yes I am old school. But I would rather have yesterdays players. Think you will see anybody knocking down a catcher at homeplate in an Allstar game again? Give me players like Pete Rose anyday over thses bunch of money hungry cry babies.

Ok Gramps. It's people like you who were complaining about the Wild Card and realignment ruining the integrity of the game. Or how about Jackie Robinson? Had he no respect for history? I can't believe he would do something that wasn't historically accepted in baseball. And night games!!! I'm still outraged over that, how could they think playing baseball after dark is ok? This all started with color television, why, back in the good old days of black and white you didn't see married couples sharing beds on TV and all of the families were good wholesome American families like the Cleavers. And those damn "talkies" they're showing in movie theatres these days! Who needs that? All these horseless carraiges driving around, I bet it's getting hard for you to push your wheel down the street with a stick these days.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BACK POCKET!!! This isn't the fall of Western Civilization.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Mmoney, it's better to just ignore comments like that. He's just looking for a bickering match.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:50 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BACK POCKET!!! This isn't the fall of Western Civilization.

No kidding. Why do you think it's being mentioned in a meager baseball thread and not on the news? In the broad scheme of things, it holds no relevence whatsoever. What it does do is say to people watching the game that I'm more important than the team. How on Earth is that possibly good for the game of baseball? If this is how you want baseball (a team sport) to represent itself, be my guess.

Comparing Manny's pocket to Jackie Robinson is the most ignorant, inappropriate comparison I've ever heard. On the other hand, maybe you're right... I think I'm starting to see the benefit of players purposely wearing their pants and hats incorrectly... almost got it... nope... lost it. Oh that's right I remember now... there is a purpose... to draw attention to oneself. Welcome to the "Me" generation. If people can't see the harm in that, anything else I could possibly say would be a complete and total waste of time.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:10 pm

josebach wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BACK POCKET!!! This isn't the fall of Western Civilization.

No kidding. Why do you think it's being mentioned in a meager baseball thread and not on the news? In the broad scheme of things, it holds no relevence whatsoever. What it does do is say to people watching the game that I'm more important than the team. How on Earth is that possibly good for the game of baseball? If this is how you want baseball (a team sport) to represent itself, be my guess.

Comparing Manny's pocket to Jackie Robinson is the most ignorant, inappropriate comparison I've ever heard. On the other hand, maybe you're right... I think I'm starting to see the benefit of players purposely wearing their pants and hats incorrectly... almost got it... nope... lost it. Oh that's right I remember now... there is a purpose... to draw attention to oneself. Welcome to the "Me" generation. If people can't see the harm in that, anything else I could possibly say would be a complete and total waste of time.

I didn't compare Manny's pocket to Jackie Robinson. I compared people's reaction to Manny's pocket to people's reaction to Jackie Robinson (and night baseball, and realignment and the wild card), which is quite different, although I can see how that may have created some confusion...I suppose I could have worded it more carefully.

Just because you get the message that Manny is trying to put himself above the team does not mean that other fans feel the same. It doesn't even mean it's true, for that matter. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume you've never actually talked to Manny about this. Maybe he has a reason for it. When I played baseball in highschool I wore one pant leg up and one down, people were always saying I just did it to be different or stand out or something, but the fact of the matter was that I prefered wearing my pants up, but I was always scratching u pmy left calf when I slid (due to my horrible sliding form, but whatever), so by wearing that leg down I protected it...but people didn't see it that way. Or Maybe he just prefers it? Maybe he wears all of his pants like that even when he's not playing. What if the whole team wore their pocket out, would that be ok? Or if the whole team wore them out but Manny left his in would you be in favor of that or would he still be trying to show up the team?

The bottom line is you are making an assumption about his motives without knowing anything about the situation. If you don't like it then fine, don't go watch any red sox games...but don't act like it's an outrage and he is showing up his team and the game by doing it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:33 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:When I played baseball in highschool I wore one pant leg up and one down, people were always saying I just did it to be different or stand out or something, but the fact of the matter was that I prefered wearing my pants up, but I was always scratching u pmy left calf when I slid (due to my horrible sliding form, but whatever), so by wearing that leg down I protected it...but people didn't see it that way.

My posts and others like it were not aimed at just Manny. Does the new fad of wearing the hat crooked have a reason? You didn't by chance where your hat crooked too, did you?

With the exception of being spiked, I've never seen anyone damage their calf from sliding. The reason being is that the weight of your body can't possibly be on your calf when you slide. That's why sliding pants don't cover the calf. Even if your story was true, knowing that 99% of other people that wear 1 pants leg up and 1 down are only doing it to be rebellious and different, why would you want to come across that way. No coach I've ever had would have put up with that kind of crap.

Oh, and if the pocket being tucked in bothered Manny so much, he could cut it out.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers