Mannys uniform - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mannys uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bselig » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:16 am

Pretty much. Manny fits in with the Red Sox and their fans well: scruffy, no-class bunch of ragamuffins who play with reckless abandon. He's a Boston Red Sock, so he's not supposed to be classy or respectable. Yankees v. Sox is a classic good guys v. bad guys rivalry - from the players down to the fans. Manny's nonchalance on and off the field is countered by Arod's dedication to training and his selfless sacrifices off the field (saved a little boy from a truck earlier this year, the guy is basically superman). I know some people in this insular forum community may view the Yankees as the "bad guys," but that's not how most of the country, and most of the world views them. The Yankees are America, an organization dedicated to excellence and willing to spend to get there. But even the good guys can't win every year - the bad guys need to take some battles to make the conflict interesting, and that's just what the Sox did. I hope Manny keeps mangling his uniform and keeps being the surly turd that he is - bad guys are way more fun to root for than good guys are.[/i]
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:26 am

bselig wrote:Pretty much. Manny fits in with the Red Sox and their fans well: scruffy, no-class bunch of ragamuffins who play with reckless abandon. He's a Boston Red Sock, so he's not supposed to be classy or respectable. Yankees v. Sox is a classic good guys v. bad guys rivalry - from the players down to the fans. Manny's nonchalance on and off the field is countered by Arod's dedication to training and his selfless sacrifices off the field (saved a little boy from a truck earlier this year, the guy is basically superman). I know some people in this insular forum community may view the Yankees as the "bad guys," but that's not how most of the country, and most of the world views them. The Yankees are America, an organization dedicated to excellence and willing to spend to get there. But even the good guys can't win every year - the bad guys need to take some battles to make the conflict interesting, and that's just what the Sox did. I hope Manny keeps mangling his uniform and keeps being the surly turd that he is - bad guys are way more fun to root for than good guys are.[/i]

Is this a joke? I'm sorry, but this is probably the most ignorant post I've ever seen on these boards. To make a blanket statement like "all red sox fans and players are scruffy, no class ragamuffins" is in no way, shape, or form even remotely true or defendable. The rest of us were saying that it's disrespectful to the game for one player to wear his uniform like he does, and you turned this into another "red sox vs. yankees" argument with perhaps the most ridiculous assertion I've ever seen at the Cafe. I'm not going to hijack this thread with a Sox/Yanks argument, but let me just say I've personally seen some of the current Yankees disrespect the game in just as much as any isolated incidences as the Red Sox, but I'm not going to make some utterly stupid generalization about the team of their fans. Do the rest of us a favor and never post again :-t
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:32 am

You've characterised it perfectly, apart from the wrong way round. The Sox are fun, loose, great camaraderie, and for the sheer joy of the game. The Yanks are stuffy, humorless, straight-laced and arrogant. Classic good vs bad.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Re: Mannys uniform

Postby gws226 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:39 am

Surfs up wrote:I may have missed it but can somebody tell me why Mannys back pocket is hanging out? I saw it a while back and thought it must have come uout when he reached for something . But I have seen it this way for a while now. Is this the latest so called Fashion statement? I believe Selig needs to get these guys all on the same page with the uniform. Yes Old school But if you are going to wear the uniform wear it Proud and wear it right.Sorry but thats my opinion. Tip caps worn to the side are for after the game at the club not on the field.

If you want a nip and tuck team, then watch a yankee game :-D
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:58 am

I think Manny does it to take the emphasis off his big gut!! :-b
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ilsa » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:56 pm

Miguel Tejada has a consecutive games streak going that was over 20% of Ripken's streak at the beginning of the season last year.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:23 pm

Surfs up wrote:I also want to say I mean no disrespect toyou young posters. You have grown up in a different time.You don't know anything else. You haven't seen what the game used to be like. Except of course in old films. Things change. Hell baseball changed back when the Astro dome was built and they started playing inside. I grew up in a time when it meant something to play the game.It mean something to the players. Think we will ever see anybody play as many games as Cal Ripken jr played? And for the same team?Nope not a chance of even 20% straight games. Somebody made the point about getting the uniform dirty. They don't even like to do that anymore. Have to look good for the pictures.Players can't bunt anymore. They play when they want to. Hardly ever play with an injury.Juan Gonzalez is a good example of that. What a waste of talent. Yes I am old school. But I would rather have yesterdays players. Think you will see anybody knocking down a catcher at homeplate in an Allstar game again? Give me players like Pete Rose anyday over thses bunch of money hungry cry babies.

Give me the money hungry cry babies over the liars, cheaters and overall bad guys like Pete Rose. You wanna talk about somebody whose actions disgraced the game of baseball?

:-P
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:32 pm

It's his uniform...let him do as he pleases.

And yes, it's definitely just a business and a job; not a game.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby strong » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:16 pm

Looks like we've got some very old uniform-fascists on this board...
And, just what were those old-timers saying about all those long-haired players back in the 70s? "Micky Mantle never had this girly hair. I remember when players respected the game and men were men..."

Gimme a break.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Who cares? People whining about tweaks to the uniform anger me almost as much as people who whine about touchdown dances. Who cares? What effect does it have on the game at all.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers