Weeks and Fielder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weeks and Fielder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hunter19 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:27 pm

Prince Fielder is going to be a star one day. Yes, he'd be much better suited for the American League DH right now, but I do NOT want to see the Brewers trade him unless he proves that he'll never be able to field any position. When (not if) he improves defensively, I'd like to see him brought up and playing first base (and hitting gigantic home runs) full-time. Move Overbay to another position and play BOTH.
hunter19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:02 am

Steve-o wrote:
CPHFighter1 wrote:
hunter19 wrote:Weeks will be brought up sometime in the month of June. He is showing in AAA that he belongs in Milwaukee now. Plus I think he signed a major league contract back when he signed. His clock has already started, but he doesnt have much MLB time clocked. He was brought up 2 septembers ago, plus he signed a MLB deal which officially started his clock the day he was signed.

I'm just wondering where they are going to put him if they bring him up in June. JJ Hardy obviously needs some extra time in the minors, and Bill Hall can play SS. No problem there. But I think Spivey has to get dealt before they bring him up. He's not going to come up and ride the pine, that is for sure, and I can't see them sitting down Spivey before he gets traded, even though he's only hitting .238.

Maybe there are some Brewers fans out there that could comment on this?

There is no way that Hardy will be sent back down. He is doing exactly what is asked of him right now. Check out Robin Yount's numbers his first half year in the majors. Weeks will probably be called up after the all star break, but that is not for sure. Just keep visiting the cafe, someone will post something when he gets the call up.

Ok ok, it wasn't my intention to turn this into a thread about JJ Hardy. My point was that everyone is saying in this thread that Weeks will be up and it will be soon, but nobody has really addressed what they think the Brewers WILL do (not should do) with Spivey. I thought maybe someone might have some inside insight. I guess we will just wait and see.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hunter19 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:15 am

As a Brewers fan and as most would say, Trade EDITTTTT SPIVEY LOL for a bag of balls, ok Maybe a mid level prospect, a mid-reliever, or a back-up catcher... or possibly a marginal MLB 3b prospect.

Than plug in weeks, simple as that right?
Last edited by hunter19 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:49 am

I think it's pretty simple to what you do, you give Spivey the boot or just bench him. As of right now he isn't even getting every day PT I believe, Hall has started taking time from him.

So trade Spivey or whatever, it really doesn't matter. Then put Weeks at 2B, have Hardy play SS, and let Hall be a util guy and play 2B, SS, and maybe even 3B.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jayman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:11 am

at first glance i thought weeks was just blasting the ball and not hitting for avg, but damn, this guy is kicking serious booty.

181AB 21BB 43K .326AGV 11HR 45RBI

Exactly what does he still have to learn? Time for him to come up and stay up.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reynolds80 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:18 am

For what it's worth, I had the privelege of watching Weeks play in college and when you first notice his bat speed you just think "phenom".
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:20 am

jayman wrote:at first glance i thought weeks was just blasting the ball and not hitting for avg, but damn, this guy is kicking serious booty.

181AB 21BB 43K .326AGV 11HR 45RBI

Exactly what does he still have to learn? Time for him to come up and stay up.

Defense my friend, defense. As in, he's a hack with the glove. That's the only reason he's still down right now, that and his arbitration status. If they call him up now, he'd be a "Super 2," which is bad for a cash strapped franchise. I think they'll try to build Spivey's trade value as long as they can, right up until the deadline. They'll hope to catch some contender panicking due to an injury or whatever the case may be. At that point, they have two options. Play Bill Hall everyday at 2nd and call up a fringe prospect to back up (Steve Scarborough and Matt Erickson come to mind), or go with Weeks. I think it'll be the former, but we'll see. It will depend on the team's record I think. If they're way out of it, I think Weeks will stay down due to monetary concerns.

Sending Hardy down isn't an option at this point, he's really started to come around lately. He's suddenly been hitting doubles as his hard hit balls have finally been finding gaps. Plus, his defense has been great, best on the team in my opinion. So, with Hardy every (or near every) day at SS, Bill Hall (another dinger tonight) could get good playing time at 2B.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

???

Postby joeg24 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Player Current Week Next Week Change
* Weeks, Rickie 2B MIL 5 15 10

On my most added/most dropped Rickie is +10, is there a reason for this? I haven't saw any info on him getting called up....
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djack909 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Yankee commentators on TV tonight, said they expect Spivey to play full time for the next month. Then Spivey would be traded and Weeks brought up.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers