Glendon Rusch? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Glendon Rusch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djack909 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:43 pm

I picked up Rusch two days ago to spot start him last night. I droped him after the game (Look at the Cubs schedule for the next month) and picked Sean Casey to fill in for N. Johnson @ 1B. Casey 3 games @ Coors and 3 at home against TB. NJ out of last nights game with chest pain and the next series against Fla. Veterans usualy play to the stats on the back of their baseball cards.
Last edited by djack909 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lab_rats » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:31 pm

good call on the schedule
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JGarrison » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:43 pm

djack909 wrote:I picked up Rusch two days ago to spot start him last night. I droped him after the game (Look at the Cubs schedule for the next month)

He pitched a 4 hit shutout to the Padres, I would have no problem starting him Tor, Mil and probably even NY.
JGarrison
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby djack909 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Veterans usually play to the average of the stats on the back of their baseball cards. Rusch gave me a better than expected job. But, I had no second thoughts about dumping him AFTER one good job. I have Harden and Bedard on the DL so I could not carry Rusch for a month.
Last edited by djack909 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:56 pm

djack909 wrote:I picked up Rusch two days ago to spot start him last night. I droped him after the game (Look at the Cubs schedule for the next month) and picked Sean Casey to fill in for N. Johnson @ 1B. Casey 3 games @ Coors and 3 at home against TB. NJ out of last nights game with chest pain and the next series against Fla.

good point about the upcoming schedule, particularly when you consider that the majority of his strong starts in the last month or so were against very weak lineups, but even the best can get roughed up by scrubs. plus i need to be careful wtih my transaction limit so once I grabbed him i needed to be sure i would gut it out with him for a while.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm

G-Man wrote:
djack909 wrote:I picked up Rusch two days ago to spot start him last night. I droped him after the game (Look at the Cubs schedule for the next month) and picked Sean Casey to fill in for N. Johnson @ 1B. Casey 3 games @ Coors and 3 at home against TB. NJ out of last nights game with chest pain and the next series against Fla.

good point about the upcoming schedule, particularly when you consider that the majority of his strong starts in the last month or so were against very weak lineups, but even the best can get roughed up by scrubs. plus i need to be careful wtih my transaction limit so once I grabbed him i needed to be sure i would gut it out with him for a while.

VERY weak lineups. Arguably the three best teams to face: houston and colorado away from their home parks and pittsburgh at their home park.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:51 pm

Good call about the schedule but couldn't you say that just about EVERY SP out there.

Being in the same division as HOU, PIT it should even itself out schedule wise.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby strong » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:36 pm

Rusch has looked good, but I don't think anyone should get too geeked about him or expect a whole lot. The guy is not that good and is a fringe #5 starter in the bigs. His career numbers are terrible. His ERA is lights out this year, but his WHIPS is not and he's walked 24 in 55 IP. Not good. I would talk the bananas out of him on the message board in your league and ship him for anything, including a tuna sandwich. Offer him to every team before he makes his next start...

IMO.
HTH.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:45 pm

He's been pretty good the last couple years. His ERA was deceiving a couple years ago in Milwaukee, but he was actually doing well. I said before the year that he'd be better than Maddux - or something like that - and should have a spot in the rotation. Everybody laughed... now his ERA is below 2. He won't rack up the K's but he'll get you a decent ERA and could make a good spot starter if nothing else.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Flavour of the Week
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers