Tony Giarratano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tony Giarratano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tony Giarratano

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm sure all Tiger fans know by now about his callup, but was it a bit surprising or not?

I like Giarratano quite a bit as I posted in another thread, but was it a good move to bring him up when he's probably more than a year away from really being ready to be a regular? He had a nice debut and has really played well lately after a slow start in AA.

Perhaps there is a little more concern over Guillen's knee than is being let on, and they don't feel confident in Ramon Martinez/Jason Smith? I thought I read in the paper Guillen should be back in the lineup soon, but you never really know.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:33 pm

Smith and Martinez are bad players - even as backups IMO. It just grates at me to see them out there so often. Im glad Tony G got the call up. What Tram needs to do is shut down Guillen for 2 weeks and let him rest and recoop. Give Tony G the starts through the two weeks then send him down when Guillen returns.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:14 am

I actually like Ramon Martinez...as a backup who plays usually once, but no more than twice a week, but I far and away agree about Jason Smith.

After thinking about it, I'm guessing the Tigers don't feel Guillen will be playing too much in the field for a while and will be left primarily to pinch-hitting and DHing if they don't DL him. And with no real options at SS at Toledo, Giarratano was next in line. Can't argue with the results so far as he contributed well in winning the series vs the first place Texas Rangers (at least until we got done with them).
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:13 am

I don't think Giarratano had starter potential, but see him as more of a career back-up. So calling him up to play back-up doesn't bother me, expecially when you consider who he is replacing. Smith is a weak bat with no range in the field. No loss there. May as well let Giarratano show if he has anything.

I would now like to see Infante sent down so he can learn how to hit. Way to many weak ABs. .225 doesn't cut it for an everyday 2B. Plus his throws lack zip. He's probably hiding that his shoulder is still sore. Plug Martinez in at 2B and see what he can do. Your not asking much to fill Infante's shoes at this point.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:01 am

I disagree on Giarratano. He has all the potential to be at least an adequate Major League middle infielder, but I think he needs more time to develop in the minor leagues. Because of this potential, he needs the chance to play almost every day, which is what he was called up to do while Guillen goes the "day-to-day" route. Once Guillen is fit enough to play most everyday at shortstop (hopefully he gets there soon), then Giarratano will be sent back to AA to play everyday.

I do agree that Infante hasn't played up to his potential all season and some AAA time may be in order if he doesn't show signs of life. A lack of depth in infielders has been seriously exposed and a minor trade or free agent signing may be necessary in the near future so that:
a)Ramon Martinez can remain a backup where his position versatility is good for a once or twice a week start.
b)Giarratano can go back to AA where he probably belongs and continue to develop his game
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:50 pm

You're right on Giarratano, he needs to play every day. His nervousness in the field Saturday was painful to watch. Can he play 2B? Infante is mediocre at best defensively and can't hit. He needs to go down and learn that he isn't a HR hitter-hit grounders, not flys.

I'm just not sure what recourse they have. It looks more and more that Guillen isn't going to be able to play solid D on his bum knee. Maybe a Smtih/Martinez rotation is the best they can do. :-o
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Detroit Tigers