maggs sighting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

maggs sighting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:30 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:20 what? 20 H? That's possible.

20 balls off of a tee before reinjuring himself? Even more possible

20 BP HR before being injured again? Another possibility...

Hahaha, that's good stuff. Anything else is typical cafe naive banter from desperate owners.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:45 am

Sweet my 10 team points league counts every hit off the tee as .0000000000000001 pts! Go Mags!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Testicle

Postby gabenterprises » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:02 am

Testicle,
I have the guy on the bench with no need for him, but I don't quite get why people give him zero chance of playing this year. He's right on schedule for his rehabbing, and he's a great hitter. Why so down on him being able to contribute in the second half? I am naive enough to think he can come back and contribute. Doesn't mean I'm desperate for him, just don't get the hating.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:05 am

I don't think he was hating on him being productive. But to expect 20HR after he comes back is a tad optimistic.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:07 am

If you look on the bright side, his knee was the major injury which knocked him out last season and brought questions in with him this year. The injury he's recovering from now isn't his knee. Other than that, he hasn't really had any major problems that I'm aware of. Therefore, I see some reason to be optimistic that he won't always be an injury waiting to happen. Considering how much his game action has been limited since early last year, however, I don't expect him to just pick up his All-Star caliber career right where he left off.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gabenterprises » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:20 am

That I can agree with. I tried to put the innocent emoticon there to insinuate 20 HR was optimistic.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Wow, plenty of Maggs bashing. I stashed him on my DL and plan on using him or trading him with my crowded outfield (giles, guillen, rowand, crawford). The guy still has value, and could help owners win leagues down the strech.

He gets a ;-D from me coming back from injury.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:54 am

cordscords wrote:Wow, plenty of Maggs bashing. I stashed him on my DL and plan on using him or trading him with my crowded outfield (giles, guillen, rowand, crawford). The guy still has value, and could help owners win leagues down the strech.

He gets a ;-D from me coming back from injury.

And that's what it's all about. I'm sure he's a FA in more than half the leagues out there. He's only owned in 30% of leagues on CBS. When healthy the guy is a hell of a player. Getting him for free for the playoff run could be a huge boost. I've been keeping an eye on him for the past week now. Just hoping that someone doesn't grab him kinda earlier than I planned.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Tigers

Maggs: So far, so good

Ordonez runs, hits in 1st rehab start
June 28, 2005

BY GEORGE SIPPLE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

TOLEDO -- It was a fulfilling five innings Monday night at Fifth Third Field.

Magglio Ordonez went 1-for-2 with an RBI and a walk in his first game of a rehabilitation assignment with the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens.

He started in rightfield and was the leadoff hitter. He left in the fifth inning, as he intended.

"Felt good," said Ordonez, who wore No. 30, the same he wears with the Tigers. "Little sore, but other than that I feel really good. Good swings and got some fly balls."

Tigers manager Alan Trammell is targeting Monday's doubleheader at Cleveland for Ordonez's return to the majors.

Ordonez, who signed a five-year, $75-million free-agent contract in the off-season, played three games for the Tigers in April before suffering a hernia that required surgery.

Ordonez made two catches in the second inning Monday. One was a short fly beyond second base that tested his running ability. He said he could have run faster than he did, but he didn't want to overdo it.

"When I need to run hard, I will do it," he said.

In his first at-bat, Ordonez grounded to Indianapolis pitcher Hansel Izquierdo on 2-0.

"I didn't see it really good," Ordonez said. "I feel a little uncomfortable, a little nervous."

In the third, Ordonez batted with runners on first and second and none out. He hit an outside fastball down the first-base line for a double that scored catcher Sandy Martinez. After Marcus Thames singled in a run, Ordonez was stranded at third after Carlos Pena hit into an inning-ending double play.

Ordonez walked on four pitches in his final at-bat. He left for a pinch-runner, who scored to give the Mud Hens a 3-1 lead.

"I took some pitches to see balls and get my timing back," said Ordonez, who said he had never batted leadoff.

Pena's home run in the 12th won it for the Mud Hens, 6-5.

Ordonez played in his first minor league game since 1997, when he was named the American Association's most valuable player and rookie of the year at Nashville, top farm club of the Chicago White Sox at the time.

Last season with the White Sox, Ordonez played 52 games because of a left knee injury.

Ordonez said he would likely play "six or seven" innings tonight against Norfolk. Trammell said Sunday that Ordonez would be the designated hitter in Wednesday's day game.

Trammell wants to see the four-time All-Star play nine innings in back-to-back games before bringing him back to the Tigers. Ordonez could do that Thursday and Friday.

"Once I get my body used to playing again, I'm going to be OK," Ordonez said.
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/ordo ... 050628.htm

Article published Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Ordonez a little stiff but hits RBI double

By MAUREEN FULTON
BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Sitting in the Mud Hens' dugout yesterday afternoon, Magglio Ordonez knocked on the wooden bench and smiled. In town for the first day of his rehabilitation assignment with the Hens, Ordonez hopes this trip, not a new task for him, will be the last of its kind, and he wants some luck.

Entering his last week of recovery from hernia surgery in late April, Ordonez, the Tigers' off-season signee, played five innings in right field last night in the Mud Hens' game against Indianapolis. The four-time all-star played in only three games with the Tigers this season
before the injury.

Ordonez's appearance included two catches in the outfield and a third-inning RBI double. He was 0-for-10 with the Tigers before being placed on the disabled list April 15.

Afterward, Ordonez said he felt a little stiff, but it was more because of an uncomfortable plane ride from Arizona Sunday night and trouble adjusting to the two-hour time difference than a pained abdominal muscle.

"I need to get used to playing the game," he said. "I'm going to be dead tomorrow."

Ordonez will play seven innings in right field tonight against Norfolk and will be the designated hitter tomorrow. His goal is to play nine innings in the field on back-to-back days, and the earliest that could be completed is Friday. Tigers manager Alan Trammell said Sunday that Ordonez will tentatively return July 4 for a game against the Cleveland Indians.

Ordonez is used to rehabbing. Last season, he played in just 52 games with the Chicago White Sox because of a knee injury. His last game with the Tigers was April 12.

Before the game, Ordonez said he feels he's 100 percent healed, except for an occasional strain when he runs. He had a Tigers strength coach work him out before batting practice and said the warm weather helped him get loose fast.

It was originally estimated Ordonez could be out as long as 12 weeks, so he is ahead of schedule.

"When you have this type of injury, you have to be patient, you have to relax, you can't do much," he said.

Ordonez, 31, said his main goal for the week, other than getting in some innings in the field, was to get his timing back on his swing. He took a few pitches on his first at-bat solely because of that. He said he didn't mind the slow process.

"You want to catch everything before you come back to the field," he said.
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /-1/SPORTS
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:47 pm

Don't expect huge numbers from Mags but he's worth a spot on your DL and normal roster. 97.5% owned in ESPN leagues.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers