Preston Wilson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Preston Wilson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Preston Wilson

Postby Mordraken » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:11 pm

Is this guy done? I was expecting a return to his 30 HR days with a solid 120 RBIs and a solid average (OPS), but it looks like he's going to be nowhere near those numbers.

Currently he's on pace for:
66 runs, 84 RBIs, 28 HRs, 6 SBs .254 Avg, .316 OBP, .472 SLG.

He's striking out more often than he's hitting, and he's had almost three times as many strikeouts to walks. Only 17 extra base hits in 38 games, and only 8 games this year with more than one hit.

There's shite left on my waiver wire, but I think I'd be better without his nighly 0-4 or 1-4 in my lineup... I would basically be droping him for a second rate starter like Randy Wolf, Danny Haren or Dave Williams... but like I said, I always thought that Preston would come around... but now I'm beginning to think he's not worth having...

Thoughts?
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Start him at Coors. He hits 4th in a rockies lineup that averages alot of runs at home. He's strictly a platoon guy now.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:14 pm

Would not waste my time with Haren or Williams...Wolf I might think about it. Still, the wthink Wilson will be more useful than a marginal fantasy SP.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Start him at Coors. He hits 4th in a rockies lineup that averages alot of runs at home. He's strictly a platoon guy now.

Yeah well he hit 3 Hrs last week on the road...go figure.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mordraken » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:41 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Start him at Coors. He hits 4th in a rockies lineup that averages alot of runs at home. He's strictly a platoon guy now.

Yeah well he hit 3 Hrs last week on the road...go figure.

Yeah, and on this homestand he's 1-11 with a single and 1 run scored. I really can't figure this guy out. I was thinking "maybe he's coming out of his slump" and then BAM - hitless streak starts. If you take a look at his game log you'll see that his OPS seems to go from .700 to .800 and then back down to .700.

April 15 - .700 range
April 29 - .800 range
May 9 - .700 range (stuck there until his recent road games where he hit 3 homers in 4 days)
May 29 - .804 (thanks to those 4 homers that raised his OPS up by almost .120 points)
Now 1-11 and his OPS will be back down to around .775, and probably will continue down.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:47 pm

I would not even be starting the guy if it were not for injuries to Vlad and Bradley in a couple of my leagues. It is just ridiculous how many of my players are hurt or have been utter busts so far. Chavez and Thome and Konerko and Furcal are hitting in the low 200s. Huff and Manny in the 240s. Helton ...it is just unbelieveable.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tmoney » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 am

There is a pretty good chance that he will be traded away from Coors at some point this season, which could really hurt his value (especially his fantasy trade value). He is coming off 2 knee surgeries which probably has hurt his production this year. I think he will turn things around at some point later in the season and have a few hot months, especially if he sticks around Coors for the rest of this season. But even if he gets traded, if he can turn things around he will be a decent option.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Preston Wilson

Postby gws226 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:35 am

Mordraken wrote: I was expecting a return to his 30 HR days with a solid 120 RBIs and a solid average (OPS), but it looks like he's going to be nowhere near those numbers.

**Pre bash notes:
I own Preston is pretty much all leagues....... so I feel your pain. He is ranked last out of my OF (matsui, Vlad, Giles, pods) so only really sees playing time on offdays and if I win SB for the week.

**Begin bash

1. Your crazy to think he was gonna put up 120 RBI this year.
2. Solid average? He's only hit >.275 twice in his career (and never higher then .282)

**end bash

I think you can reasonably expect .265, 30HR, 90-95RBI, 80-90 runs this year if he stays @ coors.

If that is not enough for your plans then you should dump him.... This 13 game homestand is the key for him. If he can catch a hotstreak here, then SELL SELL SELL in 2 weeks.

I tried selling him for Wells 2 weeks ago...... no dice, maybe an Aubry Huff if he puts a hot homestand and Huff still blows chunks in 2 weeks??

Good luck!
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:41 am

Apparently he was almost dealt for encarnacion...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5994/news
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mordraken » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:24 am

gws226 - I based the 120 RBI number on these facts:

1) He would be batting cleanup in the Colorado Lineup behind Helton who gets on base over 40% of the time
2) He has had a history of significant RBI production - 140 RBIs in his full season in Colorado pre-injury.

It was a bit of a gamble, but not too bad. And as bad as he's been, including the injury time, he's still on pace for about 90 RBIs. If he had his average up by about 10 points (to a solid .250) and raised his slugging to close to his average pre-injury (about +20 points to .480) I think 120 RBIs would be posible.,

Now... taking my rose-colored galsses off... I am thinking he WON'T raise his average, or take walks, or improve his slugging... so I think 100 RBIs would be a stretch.

Oh, and I also have Thome and Aubrey Huff, so I know all about people falling far short of expectations ;). No chance in trading him to the Huff owner... that's me!

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Apparently he was almost dealt for encarnacion...

LOL - I will propose that in my league right now! I won't be affraid to pull the trigger. :D
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers