When do you decide to punt saves?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When do you decide to punt saves??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When do you decide to punt saves??

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Im thinking about punting saves, but I dont know if i should commit to it. In an 8 league team it isnt anywhere near as devastating as in a 12 team league. If your in last by a good margin at this point in the season and your staff has absolutely fallen apart, is this a good time to do it. Im in last trailing by 10 from the second to last and would need about 17 saves to put me in the middle to top of the pack. My staff is Street, Mota, Dotel, and Urbina, so I have almost no chance to catch up. Should I punt and try and trade my relievers for whatever I can get. Im in an 8 team league and my RP are horrible for a 15 team league. Hawkins and Graves were on my team, now they suck.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:51 pm

I think you have no shot at becoming competative in saves and that you should punt it. Even though your RP won't bring in a ton of value, they will help you more by what they bring in than if they stay.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby giants8307 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:38 pm

Punt it. I tried in a mid-season league last year to make a few trades to scramble back into the race for saves. I still finished last in the category, and ended hurting my team more than helping it. Just try to upgrade your SP and offense by dealing your current closers and putting in good middle relievers.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:59 pm

IMO the only time you punt any category is when you decide to give up on your league because I dont believe you can win any league punting a category.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The G-Man » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:33 pm

It's too early to give up a category. Especially with saves this year as the closer situation is very unstable, and trades will most definitely be made.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 am

The only time I've seen anyone punt saves successfully was last year. An owner in a 7-team roto league had Schmidt, RJ, Sheets and Santana as his core of SPs.

He DOMINATED in W, K, ERA, K/BB, and TB (negative category).

It works if you have the SPs to support the stragegy.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 am

kentx12 wrote:IMO the only time you punt any category is when you decide to give up on your league because I dont believe you can win any league punting a category.

I agree with this 100%.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:34 am

IMO the only time you punt any category is when you decide to give up on your league because I dont believe you can win any league punting a category.

I used to feel the same way. And I still refuse to actively punt a category. But I've changed my tune a bit on the viability of punting as a strategy.

The last league I played in, the guy who won punted saves.

This this year I'm in first place in my 12-team 5x5 by 10 points but in dead last in 2 categories -- W and BA. I'm not punting those by any means, but I might as well be. I'm absolutely cleaning up (tied for 3rd or better) in all other categories. It's a freak year.

I still don't like punting as a strategy. But I think to say that you can't win if you punt is misleading.

I think this quote from a TSN Fantasty writer is one of the better summaries on the topic:

I've heard experts and owners talk about "punting" the saves category. I strongly disagree. In a 12-team, 5x5 league, the winner usually ends up with about 90 category points, which is an average of fourth place in the 10 categories. Punting a category -- and likely taking a "1" for it -- means you must average about third place in the other nine. That's a pretty tall order. While you still can finish in the top three in the league, your goal is to win. And how bad can a single closer pick by the end of the fourth round screw up your strategy? You don't need to win the category, but try to avoid finishing last in it."
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:09 am

I disagree, I have won two roto leagues (one basketball, one baseball) by punting a category.

I think it is dumb to use that strategy from day one, as there are too many variable, not the least of which, the rest of the league realizes you are doing it, and it whacks the values of your rp's.

But there does come a point where you have to be realistic and fashion the best strategy you can and try and win like that. It can be done, and sometimes the safest/smartest play is actually the riskiest. If you do it, the safe play is to do it all out. I'm thinking of doing the same thing in an effort to convert them to sb's. I have 8 pts (out of eleven) but my rp staff is now: lyon, dempster, mota, wickman, hawkins. I would probably drop to four points, maybe three. but it might be worth it long run to do it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jblank » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:51 am

kentx12 wrote:IMO the only time you punt any category is when you decide to give up on your league because I dont believe you can win any league punting a category.

Not true. I played with a guy last year in our yearly 6X6 roto league who finished last in SB and won the league by double digits in points.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers