Schilling loss of speed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Schilling loss of speed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schilling loss of speed?

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:43 pm

Apparently, Schilling might experience a large reduction in speed when he gets back, or so he says.

Jun 1 A strength test performed on Schilling's injured right ankle on Tuesday was the first of several such tests to be conducted, so results will be unavailable for several days, the Boston Herald reports.
Recommendation: Once data from all tests are available, it will be compared to Tuesday's baseline. Schilling, appearing on a weekly radio interview, indicated he may have to survive this season with a fastball in the high 80s, rather than his pre-injury 93-95 mph heater.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4267/news

For people like me who managed to get him reasonably cheap, how much do we read into this? Is he really going to have a huge reduction in power, or is he just being a drama queen again?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CPHFighter1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:28 pm

I didn't know Schilling could steal bases.

For real though, I thought he was out for three months anyway? Doesn't that put him back only in September? If that is true, it's a little early to be saying he's going to lose 5-6 MPH on his fastball.

EDIT: Now I'm seeing back around the All-Star break. Hard to tell. He's not the same pitcher without the velocity. Remember the first game against the Yanks in the playoffs?
Last edited by CPHFighter1 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bd3521 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:29 pm

A loss of velocity for Schill would not be good news for the Soxs
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:38 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:I didn't know Schilling could steal bases.

For real though, I thought he was out for three months anyway? Doesn't that put him back only in September? If that is true, it's a little early to be saying he's going to lose 5-6 MPH on his fastball.

He's targeted to return sometime at the beginning of July. Apparently, the Red Sox were told it would take him 2-12 weeks to return when he was put on the DL in late April, so if it does take 12 weeks that puts his return "at worst" late July.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:47 pm

If he truly does lose that much velocity, that would definitely be worrisome, as, like many power pitchers, his off-speed pitches aren't strong enough on their own to ensure success without the fastball (he's no Pedro in that respect).

However, in the World Series last year, Schilling's fastball was often in the high 80's and he was able to get by. Of course, he might just be blowing smoke (he's the sort to do that).
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers