Do all owners think their team is golden? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do all owners think their team is golden?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:04 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:Somebody offered me Garland, Doug Davis and Chavez for Bedard and Arod.

Yeah right. I am insulted and didn't explain or counter.

That's not bad etiquette is it?

There's no harm is simply rejecting a trade without giving a reason. I'm all for fantasy etiquette, but sometimes there's no right response. What can be said here that would sound like a rational reason for rejectin the trade other than, "are you out of your mind?" Better to say nothing in this case, as the only alternative is to be insulting yourself and that's sure not going to help the situation.

Someone in one my leagues actually offered me Brian Jordan for Adam Dunn. I kid you not. There's only one right way to handle that offer and it's with a simple rejection and nothing else.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:23 pm

linberg wrote:I'm currently trying to move Jeter for a RP (he's sitting on my bench). The guy playing Izturis won't do Gagne for Jeter straight up (he's got like 5 releivers). I figured I was helping him out and fulfilling my needs. Obviously Jeter should be worth more, but you have to take into account the fact that no one really pays what they should for anyone.

I don't know. Declining to trade Gagne for Jeter doesn't seem unreasonable at all. Izturis has been playing well, and maybe he wants to use his depth for upgrades elsewhere. Objectively, I wouldn't take this as proof that others are refusing to trade with you for personal reasons.

RAmst23 wrote:and BTW cool avatar Wozzy, big fan of GY!BE

You can always tell a fan by where they put the exclamation point. ;-)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:50 pm

mamorris wrote:
RJCarrot wrote:You cant win a baseball game with 9 3rd basemen...

Last year you could have:

C Inge
1B Teixeira
2B Figgins
3B Beltre
SS A-Rod
OF Mora
OF M. Cabrera
OF Huff
Util Rolen

All qualified at 3B last year. ;)

haha, i guess you CAN win qith 9 3rd basemen!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby linberg » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:40 pm

Yeah I would say that, however the owners name is TheYankeesRule... and he was begging me for Jeter before I got Young.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LouisC9999 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:07 pm

Irish wrote:Be glad he rejected them, you are OVERPAYING.

Agreed.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:24 pm

to the guy who compared baseball to football -- there is no comparison. Football trades are a different animal, as everyone can be reduced to a point total far easier than in roto baseball. The draft is much more important.

In baseball, trades don't ruin leagues at all. They CAN ruin leagues, which is markedly different. Trading is practically necessary (as opposed to football) because you NEED points in every category, and you can't always get them through the draft. Trading in roto is also different because of the finite amount of points to go around. In a good league, trading ups the fun level, not detracts from it, because it can become like a chess match. Your gain is by definition someone's loss in roto -- so I think that complaint falls on deaf ears.

As for trades and their values -- I know what they guy is getting at:

These players are (for the most part) on my roster for a reason. I obviously valued them higher than the rest of the league, or I would have passed on them and picked someone else.

The rule isn't absoloute of course.

But I get VERY irritated when I get trades soon after the draft that don't account for my draft position. Unless it fills a need that I got screwed on later, why bother? You can obviously tell that I prefered one player to another through the draft board. I got offered beltran for pujols this year, not half and hour after a draft. Come on, if I wanted beltran, I would have just picked him (I had the number one pick).

As we move away from the draft, obviously this dilutes.

One other thing: People, in the course of overvaluing their players also have blinders on to needs, and tend to resent being told "what they need." I think there is a balance to be struck honestly. Send your offer, if they reject, send it again later (keep a email folder for this). If it is fair, maybe they realized their error and are more amenable to it. It is especially true with pitching now, as teams are relaying on a lot of arms that should revert to the mean sometime soon.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fpower » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:38 pm

I agree with the person who said that waiver wire pickups are much more important than trades. You can greatly improve your team by finding sleepers on the wire, and you do so without giving up anything of value.

I've always found trading to be fairly unimportant and pretty much only do so if I have an excess of something.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:23 pm

I think that is false logic frankly.

Take a spin around the ole waiver wire and tell me how many saves or steals there -- not many. If you are deficient, you almost always have to trade. Same with scarce positions, you simply can't find usable stats from the wire sometimes.

I will agree that finding the sleeper on the wire is damned important, because if you find one or two of them, you are well ahead of the game.

But I think to get the really, really big difference makers, it happens via trade. I think the people who bought on santana last year did alright.

The point is, they are both important. You can't just draft and think you will win.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:55 pm

No..Mine sucks!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:03 pm

i know mine is.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers