Do all owners think their team is golden? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do all owners think their team is golden?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:39 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:Somebody offered me Garland, Doug Davis and Chavez for Bedard and Arod.

Yeah right. I am insulted and didn't explain or counter.

That's not bad etiquette is it?
...i think you should reply to all offers no matter how lop sided..somewhere between their offer and your response is a trade..no response = no trade...part of the trading process is determining how rival owners value their own players and yours..the only way to do this is make offers and counter offers (an occasional explanatory note is helpful too)..be polite..it doesnt cost a thing and that owner will come to you before someone who has blown him off
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:44 pm

mamorris wrote:
RJCarrot wrote:You cant win a baseball game with 9 3rd basemen...

Last year you could have:

C Inge
1B Teixeira
2B Figgins
3B Beltre
SS A-Rod
OF Mora
OF M. Cabrera
OF Huff
Util Rolen

All qualified at 3B last year. ;)
Pretty good team there ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RJCarrot » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:49 pm

I stand corrected....

Ok smart guy, where are your 3rd base pitchers.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Re: Do all owners think their team is golden?

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Justblaze wrote:I'm currently in first and I would like to get more power. I offer Ichiro and Roberts for Aramis and Sweeney and he comes back and counters with Ichiro and Pujols for Aramis and Cameron.

Nobody wants to make the first place team better....even if they have to shoot themselves in the foot to do so.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
mamorris wrote:
RJCarrot wrote:You cant win a baseball game with 9 3rd basemen...

Last year you could have:

C Inge
1B Teixeira
2B Figgins
3B Beltre
SS A-Rod
OF Mora
OF M. Cabrera
OF Huff
Util Rolen

All qualified at 3B last year. ;)
Pretty good team there ;-D

ROFL!
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:52 pm

stevethumb wrote:...i think you should reply to all offers no matter how lop sided..somewhere between their offer and your response is a trade..no response = no trade...part of the trading process is determining how rival owners value their own players and yours..the only way to do this is make offers and counter offers (an occasional explanatory note is helpful too)..be polite..it doesnt cost a thing and that owner will come to you before someone who has blown him off

Good advice ;-D
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:56 pm

That was about the most witty response I've ever seen on this boards! ROFL.. can't win with 9 3rd basemen...

and BTW cool avatar Wozzy, big fan of GY!BE
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mamorris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 pm

RJCarrot wrote:I stand corrected....

Ok smart guy, where are your 3rd base pitchers.

haha, you got me there.

I know Todd Zeile and Robin Ventura pitched in games at some point last year... Don't think that counts though.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Dude » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:16 pm

The Guru wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The Guru wrote:I hate owners who won't do trades.
1. They overvalue there own players. I never understand why this happens but it does.
2. They only are willing to do a deal that they are obviously winning. Trading is a big part of fantasy baseball. Owners should trade when they have a hole that needs to be filled. But most owners are morons and don't realize that.

I honestly think owners that don't trade ruin the league and make it alot less fun.

If I were you I wouldn't do either of those trades. If your looking to move Ichiro you should be able to get a stud power hitter in return. Try for someone like Miggy Cabera, Edmonds, Texiera, Rolen (when he comes back healthy). If you trade Ichiro for any of those guys you should be getting back another good player in the deal because Ichiro is more valuable then all of them.

Who doesn't think that their players are worth a lot more compared to what the rest of the league thinks?

Also, it's human nature to try to get more for less.

To answer your question, me for one. Also anyone willing to do a even trade.

Tell me why you overvalue a player just because they are on your roster? That doesn't make any sense.

If you are an owner that is only willing to do a trade that you win then your not going to do many trades.

Guru - being in a league with you may be different, but its been my experience that trades generally ruin leagues, not improve them - particularly blockbuster trades. I have a friend who's still not talking to me from Fantasy football 2 years ago because I vetoed his Derrick Mason for Ricky Williams trade. But I think the same rule applies to baseball. So rarely do you get a pareto trade offer (i.e. a trade that makes both players better off) - well over 90% of trades are bad for one of the teams.

To analogize to the actual game itself, contending teams generally trade with out of contention teams - the issue of money is front and center. Team A is willing to take on a big contract to make a run and team B is already thinking about next year, developing prospects, etc. Sure, there are examples of contenders trading (Jeff Nelson for Armando Benitez a few years ago, for instance), but most trades are of this type in the league.

This is not to say that fair trades don't exist and happen in FB, but they are the exception, not the rule - so to say that you hate owners who won't do trades I think is overstating your case. I've been playing FB for 3 years in a competitive league, am always in contention (and won last year) and I've done one trade - and it was a middle reliever for a middle reliever 2 years ago (don't even remember who). To me, FB is one and lost on the waiver wire, not by making trades.
The Dude Abides
The Dude
College Coach
College Coach

Postby linberg » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:54 pm

I'm having the same type of problem in my league. I think it all started when I offered Lyon for M Young. I was planning on just opening up negotiations, but the guy actually accepted. Now everyone in my league thinks I'm always trying to swindle them and very few people will deal with me at all. I'm currently trying to move Jeter for a RP (he's sitting on my bench). The guy playing Izturis won't do Gagne for Jeter straight up (he's got like 5 releivers). I figured I was helping him out and fulfilling my needs. Obviously Jeter should be worth more, but you have to take into account the fact that no one really pays what they should for anyone.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers