Do all owners think their team is golden? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do all owners think their team is golden?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Guru » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:59 pm

I hate owners who won't do trades.
1. They overvalue there own players. I never understand why this happens but it does.
2. They only are willing to do a deal that they are obviously winning. Trading is a big part of fantasy baseball. Owners should trade when they have a hole that needs to be filled. But most owners are morons and don't realize that.

I honestly think owners that don't trade ruin the league and make it alot less fun.

If I were you I wouldn't do either of those trades. If your looking to move Ichiro you should be able to get a stud power hitter in return. Try for someone like Miggy Cabera, Edmonds, Texiera, Rolen (when he comes back healthy). If you trade Ichiro for any of those guys you should be getting back another good player in the deal because Ichiro is more valuable then all of them.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:10 pm

The Guru wrote:I hate owners who won't do trades.
1. They overvalue there own players. I never understand why this happens but it does.
2. They only are willing to do a deal that they are obviously winning. Trading is a big part of fantasy baseball. Owners should trade when they have a hole that needs to be filled. But most owners are morons and don't realize that.

I honestly think owners that don't trade ruin the league and make it alot less fun.

If I were you I wouldn't do either of those trades. If your looking to move Ichiro you should be able to get a stud power hitter in return. Try for someone like Miggy Cabera, Edmonds, Texiera, Rolen (when he comes back healthy). If you trade Ichiro for any of those guys you should be getting back another good player in the deal because Ichiro is more valuable then all of them.

Who doesn't think that their players are worth a lot more compared to what the rest of the league thinks?

Also, it's human nature to try to get more for less.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mamorris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:11 pm

RJCarrot wrote:You cant win a baseball game with 9 3rd basemen...

Last year you could have:

C Inge
1B Teixeira
2B Figgins
3B Beltre
SS A-Rod
OF Mora
OF M. Cabrera
OF Huff
Util Rolen

All qualified at 3B last year. ;)
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Everybody wants to gain alot and give up a little. People just don't seem to nderstand that you can do a fair deal where you each gain in different areas. Everyone is out to rip everyone else off.
Another thing people will do is offer guys who just got injured. Whenever I recieve an offer for a good player I always check the news on him to make sure that he is not injured.

It is nice when you can find quality people to deal with who don't averestimate the value of there players and don't try to rip you.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:16 pm

#3 Owners fail to recongize weak/ stong points in their opponents rosters in negociations.

Exhibit A:
I've been trying to trade to SP for offense all season in one league. (top tier pitching + mid tier offense) for (top tier offense + mid tier pitching) I pretty much get offered back a fair deal...... but the pitching I get back is always stronger then it should be, and the offense is only a modest increase.......argghhh

Exhibit B:
Negociating a trade and an owner asks for a player that I have no replacement for, and doesn't offer a compliment back. I have blalock as my only 3B on team..... the owner offers me what would be a 6th OF , but no 3B back...... how the hell can I accept that???
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mamorris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:18 pm

In response to the first one, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The players I value higher than everyone else are the players that are most likely to end up on my team, whether that comes through the draft or through trades. So, when someone checks out the asking price for these guys, it's no surprise that it's out of their ballpark, so to speak.

Secondly, there's no point robbing Peter to pay Paul. If by closing up one hole, you opened another hole just as big, then what's the point? Sure, if you've got excess at one position, then it makes sense. I agree trading is a big part of fantasy baseball, but IMO it's better to do nothing than to accept a deal that's going to hurt you.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Guru » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Yoda wrote:

Who doesn't think that their players are worth a lot more compared to what the rest of the league thinks?

Also, it's human nature to try to get more for less.

To answer your question, me for one. Also anyone willing to do a even trade.

Tell me why you overvalue a player just because they are on your roster? That doesn't make any sense.

If you are an owner that is only willing to do a trade that you win then your not going to do many trades.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:32 pm

everybody values their players higher than the everybody else in the league, or else somebody else would have drafted/signed them.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:33 pm

of course all parties involved think they are getting the better end of the deal. Outside of selling excess for help elsewhere, you should be able to trade players of similiar value betting that the player your gonna get back is gonna out perform the one your giving up the rest of the way.

Here's a good example:
Vernon Wells vs Hideki Matsui

I traded Wells away for Godzilla earlier in the year in one league, and I have offer to give zilla up for wells in another league right now.

Would a chavez owner consider trading straight up for Huff or Beltre??? worth a thought.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Somebody offered me Garland, Doug Davis and Chavez for Bedard and Arod.

Yeah right. I am insulted and didn't explain or counter.

That's not bad etiquette is it?
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers