general question re: when to drop vs trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

general question re: when to drop vs trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

general question re: when to drop vs trade

Postby IvanX » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:34 am

This is my first year playing fantasy ball, and I've built a team I'm pretty happy with. However, I find myself having a hard time dropping anybody even when there are better FA's available because I'm worried that a player has too much "trade value" to drop outright. On my team, good examples of this are Dmitri Young, who I like but is effectively redundant with Morneau and Feliz, and Mike Lowell, who is highly ranked but has spent the whole year in a slump.

What are your thoughts on dropping "tradeable" players? My hesitancy make means I don't make some moves I should, and instead I have guys who sit on my bench most of the time when I could, for example, add another SP or two.

Thanks for any insight.

Yahoo Head-to-Head standard, 10 teams, 9B/9P/3BN/2DL, stats R, HR, RBI, SB, K, GIDP, OBP, SLG, W, L, SV, K, HR, ERA, WHIP.

Current roster:
C Gregg Zaun (TOR) [C]
1B Justin Morneau (MIN) [OF]
2B Tadahito Iguchi (CWS) [2B]
3B Chone Figgins (LAA) [2B/SS/3B/OF]
SS Pedro Feliz (SF) [1B/SS/3B/OF]
OF Garret Anderson (LAA) [OF]
OF Hideki Matsui (NYY) [OF]
OF Vernon Wells (TOR) [OF]
Util José Guillén (WSH) [OF]
BN Dmitri Young (DET) [1B]
BN Mike Lowell (FLA) [3B]
BN Frank Thomas (CWS) [DH]
DL Vladimir Guerrero (LAA) [OF] (on DL)

SP Roger Clemens (HOU) [SP]
SP Josh Beckett (FLA) [SP]
SP Dontrelle Willis (FLA) [SP]
RP Bob Wickman (CLE) [SP]
RP Francisco Rodríguez (LAA) [RP]
P Ryan Dempster (CHC) [RP]
P Scot Shields (LAA) [RP]
P Jon Garland (CWS) [SP]
P Kelvim Escobar (LAA) [SP]
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:45 am

If you like a player, I think that your first option is to try and trade him in order to get something of value back. However, trade offers can sometimes drag out, mainly to lack of response from the other team.

If someone is available on waivers who you think will improve your team, it is rolling the dice to wait for that trade response.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mkultra » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:28 pm

I'd drop Lowell before Young :-P

But, yeah, in a 10-person league there are always quite a few "decent" players who float in-and-out of the FA pool over the course of a season. You'd be hard-pressed to trade any of the guys on your bench, unless they're packaged up with a better player to balance out a trade.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:48 pm

It's always worth trying the trade option, though there is the danger of losing the guy you want from the wire while awaiting a reply.

However, if you're seeing guys on the wire who are better than/outperforming guys already on your roster, then your prospective trade partners are probably seeing the same thing.
The smaller the league, the harder it is to deal the 2nd-3rd tier guys because, as mkultra says, the same caliber of players are always floating in and out of the pool based on hot/cold play.

What it comes down to for me is, am I dumping a better long-term guy for a short-term fix and; if I do so, will the dropped player be scooped right up and then burn me down the road?
If I think my drop guy can sneak through waivers and maybe be available again later (keeping a close watch), then I'll usually do it.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Guru » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:04 pm

Its hard to trade medicore players like D Young.

I'm in a 12 teamer and he is currently on WW.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:07 pm

Chances are if you think someone is droppable, then other people will also.

That being said, Frank Thomas has no business being on anyone's roster especially a 10 team, H2H league. His ceiling is limited at this point, no position flexibility and a HUGE injury risk.

D.Young and Lowell are very close to being waiver bait.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fpower » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:52 pm

If you think they're droppable the other managers in your league probably do as well. I've actually had a few trade offers come to me where I think to myself, "no, I think I'll just wait for you to drop him." Sure enough...and then he's mine for nothing.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bselig » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:04 pm

You can't trade a guy like Mike Lowell because he ISN'T tradeable, not right now at least. He sucks. In a ten team league he should be a free agent. I view "tradeable" guys as guys who are playing well, and you could trade, but who are not good enough to acquire something that you actually need in return. A mediocre outfielder, for example. You can probably trade him for another outfielder or a middle of the road starter, but not for infield steals. Mike Lowell isn't "tradeable," because you not only can't get what you need for him, you can't get ANYTHING for him. He blows. Release him immediately.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IvanX » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:19 pm

Thanks for these great responses. They help me calibrate my sense of perspective -- there will always be decent players in the league, and if I've got an underperformer, why keep him around? Unless, as was pointed out, I'm dumping a long-term possibility for short-term gain, which I ought to consider.

Somehow, just seeing "screw it, drop Lowell (or Young or Thomas) if there's someone better available" is what I needed. Thanks.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:29 pm

i think a good way to look at it is to divide your team mentally into tiers. Then pick the last two guys as "revolving". When a guy you personally think has value REALISITCALLY would be one of the first two off your roster, you should be exploring options to trade him -- preferably before.

someone or someones around here post something to the effect that the round drafted dictates when they would drop someone. last round=anytime, next to last=after a week or so and so on.

I think that general concept is a sound one. except that I am willing to cut bait with my last three drafted guys if say, a closer becomes aviable, a stupid cut, etc.

I think this is where the game becomes one of "art" rather than something mere numbers crunching and anaylsis can help you. just don't hastily demote true studs to "cutable" status. then just reorganize your team in your head as to what the "voting order" should be. That should at least help you anticpate a pinch, so you can perhaps start trading?

I use the wire and trade quite a bit in the early goings to buy low on guys and then pick up waiver guys who might break out. you end up with some real crap, but you can also end up generating value.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers