Bye bye Burroughs! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bye bye Burroughs!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bye bye Burroughs!

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:42 am

Or so I hope. Here's the rumor:

BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer wrote:SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Geoff Blum hit a tiebreaking three-run homer in the sixth inning and the San Diego Padres rallied to beat the Milwaukee Brewers 8-4 Tuesday night, their 22nd victory in May.

The Padres set a team record with their 11th straight home win, and won their sixth straight overall. They haven't lost at Petco Park since a 5-2 defeat to Arizona on May 1. The Padres lead the Diamondbacks by three games in the NL West.

San Diego was 22-6 in May, setting the club record for victories in a month.

The Padres scored five runs off reliever Gary Glover (3-4) in the sixth inning to get ace Jake Peavy off the hook for a rare rough start.

Peavy was knocked out after just four innings, allowing four runs and six hits. Peavy's shortest outing of the season came one start after he needed just 94 pitches for his first career shutout, a two-hit, 10-0 win at Arizona on Friday night. He threw 95 pitches Tuesday night.

Blum has been playing so well that third baseman Sean Burroughs might not have a starting job when he returns from a leg injury. Blum has hit safely in nine of 12 games since coming back from the disabled list on May 18, and has driven in 10 runs in his last 11 games. Burroughs missed his sixth straight start with a strained left quadriceps.

With one out in the sixth and Dave Roberts and pinch-hitter Robert Fick on base, Blum homered to right-center field on a 2-0 pitch from Glover to give the Padres a 7-4 lead. It was his fourth of the year.

One batter earlier, Roberts tied the game at 4 with a single to center that scored Khalil Greene, who opened the inning with a single to right.

With two outs, Brian Giles walked and scored on Phil Nevin's 1,000th career hit, a triple high off the center-field fence for an 8-4 lead.

Roberts, who turned 33 on Tuesday, had two hits, two walks, two runs, an RBI and stole his 10th base.

Dennys Reyes (3-0) allowed just one hit in two scoreless innings for the win, striking out three.

Peavy, who turned 24 on Tuesday, took a 3-0 lead into the fourth inning but lost it by allowing four straight hits with one out.

Lyle Overbay singled and scored on Damian Miller's double into the right-field corner. Russell Branyan then drove a full-count pitch into the seats in right-center to tie the game at 3. It was his sixth this season.

J.J. Hardy hit a blooper that fell in for a double down the left-field line, and scored on Brady Clark's double to left to put the Brewers up 4-3.

Peavy struck out five and walked one.

Glover allowed five runs and six hits in three innings, struck out two and walked two.

San Diego took a 3-0 lead in the third on Nevin's sacrifice fly and a two-run single by Greene.

Just to add to this:
Number of extra base hits by Blum tonight = 2.
Number of extra base hits by Burroughs this season = 2.

This one has to be a no-brainer. Blum is better than Burroughs in every statistical category. Not to mention, Blum is not bad with the glove at 3b (though Burroughs has looked good there thus far). Blum is everything Burroughs isn't on offense. I'm sure WRVeres will throw every career number in the book at Blum, but you gotta play the hot hand.

Hopefully this is true; I've been the #1 Burroughs hater since he's been called up (and done nothing I might add). Jay Payton helped spread the frustration last season, but he isn't here now to help ease the pain. Hopefully Blum gets the nod. (Fingers crossed).
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Bench Burroughs!

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:57 am

Yeah I completely agree with you. Burroughs stinks. Boo!!!!!
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Bench Burroughs!

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 am

davidmarver wrote:Yeah I completely agree with you. Burroughs stinks. Boo!!!!!

LMAO! ;-D
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 am

He'll evetually get the starting job back. ;-7
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:05 am

Sanity will prevail

<pre> Age AVG OBP SLG OPS
Blum 33 0.255 0.317 0.399 0.716
Burroughs 25 0.287 0.345 0.366 0.711
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:34 am

wrveres wrote:Sanity will prevail

Blum is nothing more than a platoon player. He's not good enough to start especially on a good team like the Pads.

I think Burroughs is getting a lot of crap for the lack of power he's shown. But he is still an above average hitter and he should get the job back when Blum starts to struggle.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tomkatt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:02 pm

Yoda wrote:

Blum is nothing more than a platoon player. He's not good enough to start especially on a good team like the Pads.

I think Burroughs is getting a lot of crap for the lack of power he's shown. But he is still an above average hitter and he should get the job back when Blum starts to struggle.

Kinda reminds me of the sh*t Mark Grace used to put up with too. They were always whining about his lack of power. I used to think sure he doesn't hit a lot of homers, but the dude was a great contact hitter that can drive in runs. Why knock that? I think sometimes the power thing can get overhyped.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:05 pm

why not shift blum to 2nd when burroughs comes back. is damian jackson really better than burroughs?
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:05 pm

tomkatt wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Kinda reminds me of the sh*t Mark Grace used to put up with too. They were always whining about his lack of power. I used to think sure he doesn't hit a lot of homers, but the dude was a great contact hitter that can drive in runs. Why knock that? I think sometimes the power thing can get overhyped.

Sean Burroughs isn't on pace for 4 doubles. Thats not a lack of power, that's an absense of anything related to power. You can't have that at a corner infield position.

And Burroughs is not an above average hitter. He's barely a plus contact hitter and he brings nothing else to the table offensively. He doesn't know how to bunt, he doesn't move runners over, he doesn't hit sacrifice flies; with him you just hope he gets a single a game and that it comes at the right time.

Here's a look at the numbers.

Now someone make a case on why Burroughs should play. He SHOULDN'T. He's been pitiful and even that's being generous. Blum has been very hot lately and should be the starter, until he falters, when Burroughs returns.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers