This guy's a MENCH - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This guy's a MENCH

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby agchris02 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:29 am

Im happy i drafted him all over, no way he should be on the WW, and yes he plays virtually every day -- he'll occasionaly get one off with the OF's Texas has, but on the whole you can rely on him as a number 2 or 3 OF depending on the depth of your league
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:45 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Does he play every day? He has similar stats to several guys on my WW in a 10 team league. I am looking for another OF, and I actually had this guy on my team at one time.

I'm just not sure he's good enough to get a spot for a 10 teamer. :-S

Oh, he's good enough. Remember two things: 1) he started the year in a slump & 2) he did not start the year playing full time.

I would pick him up NOW. Him and Tex are the only 2 Rangers who have exhibited power on the road. The Mench train is taking off, IMO. Next stop will be 30 homers. Even in a 10 team league, that is usefull.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RJCarrot » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:11 am

Hes a great pickup guy. Even if you have a packed OF hes good for a backup. Bradley got hurt and I tossed him in. Was a good backup.

Also very nice to swap out for situational starts.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby Cooner » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:16 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Does he play every day? He has similar stats to several guys on my WW in a 10 team league. I am looking for another OF, and I actually had this guy on my team at one time.

I'm just not sure he's good enough to get a spot for a 10 teamer. :-S

I've started him in an 8 team keeper where most of my guys are underperforming. In a keeper he's a must-own, but even if it's not a keeper, he should definitely be owned, and most likely should be starting. If you're looking for another OF, he's a great way to go, with good numbers now and a ton of potential.

(yes, he's playing everyday, and has been about since he started hitting well... which came first, the chicken or the egg... ;-D )
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pappymojo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:14 pm

I've had him on my team since May 9th and I couldn't be happier. Ever since I've picked him up, I've been steadily climbing my lead leader board (in second place right now). He's a solid, consistent performer.

I'm in a head to head league with 12 teams where we had an autodraft and where we start four outfield positions: LF, CF, RF, OF.

Coming out of the autodraft Randy Winn was my starting Left Fielder. It was brutal. I tried really hard to trade for a replacement but everyone in the league wanted too much.

Based on the advice of this board and a little research, I picked him up and he's been great. I wouldn't drop him now for anyone.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tal1286 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:28 pm

He's great, especially in akeeper. He's going to be very good in a few years. Actually, he's playing very well already.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:31 pm

When it gets hot in Arlington, he's going to demolish the ball. I'd pick him up in every league in which he's available, even 8 team mixed leagues.

As for the PT, Matthews returns next week, but Mench has been hitting so well, it would boggle my mind to see him on the bench very often.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Indestructible » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:59 pm

How does his playing time compare to Delucci's? I picked Delucci up a few weeks ago and he has been playing well, although he has slowed of late. Mench is a FA and I've been eyeing him for a while. Are Mench and Delucci competing for a spot in the lineup, or does Mench have his own spot locked up?
The Indestructible
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bselig » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:09 pm

I would not say that they are strictly competing, but yes, over the course of the season they will probably lose some at bats to each other (though indirectly). Personally I would much rather have Mench - he is just a more talented batter. Dellucci is a career journeyman and I cannot see him maintaining a very high OBP clip all season. Mench seems like the easy choice to me.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Indestructible » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:14 pm

Thanks. And for confirmation, I just read that Delucci is not going to start against left-handers for the entire year. Welcome to my team, UberMench! ;-D
The Indestructible
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers