Next year's #1 SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next year's #1 SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:25 am

Leber wrote:LOL after reading your guys comments I guess I'm lucky to have both of them leading my staff in a 10 team league ;-D B-) :-D

There's a guy in my league who has both of them as well and he's currently in first after finishing dead last or next to last the last two years.

Just goes to show what two dominant aces can do for you I guess.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cnt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:08 am

It is pretty obvious that Peavy is going to go in the first or early second round next year. What I am wondering is where did Peavy go in everybody's draft this year? He seems to have been overlooked until this year. I am in a 13 team 5x5 roto league. We have been doing the league for 4 years, and it is very competitive. Peavy went in the 4th round this year. I guess my league was one that overlooked just how good he is. Pitchers taking before him were: Johnson, Santana Schmidt, Schilling, Oswalt, Hudson, Rivera, Nathan, Clemens and Prior.

I see Santana the only one who was a good pick over Peavy now. I guess at the beginning of the year you could have made the argument that RJ was a better pick too. It just surprises me how everyone in my league underrated Peavy this year. I know I did. I liked him and he was in my top 5 SP, but I now regret taking Oswalt over him. I had him rated right after Oswalt.I guess I didn't expect Houston's offense to be this bad, or San Diego to be this good.

So, just wondering where Peavy went in everyone's draft this year?
cnt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:08 am

Boy am I glad I got to keep Peavy from my team last year when I picked him the 15th round...

I don't know guys, I still think Santana should be the consensus #1 pitcher taken next year. With guys like Peavy and healthy RJ, Schmidt & Prior, maybe even Halladay all going in rounds 2-3.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blackbearabroad » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:54 am

To answer CNT's question i think he went in the 3rd round of my main leauge, 27th overall
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 am

Leber wrote:LOL after reading your guys comments I guess I'm lucky to have both of them leading my staff in a 10 team league ;-D B-) :-D

8-o
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CPHFighter1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 am

cnt:
In my keeper league, I kept Santana for $15 and Peavy for $3, both of which I drafted auction last year. I think its safe to say I'll be keeping both next year as well.

In this years non-keeper, Santana was the first pitcher taken overall, followed by Johnson, Sheets, Schilling, Schmidt, Gagne, Oliver Perez, THEN Peavy, 24th overall. He went sooner than I thought he would, I was actually waiting another round on him.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikegp » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:12 am

Call me crazy....but IF(BIG IF) Josh Beckett stays healthy all season I expect him to be the best pitcher throughout the course of next season. However, if we're talking who will go where in a draft in preparation for next season I have to go with Santana, although Peavy isn't far behind.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 pm

I also am happy to have both in my 12-team keeper league. We keep five year-to-year, and it looked like a lot of people had Zambrano ranked ahead of Peavy to start the season. I knew whichever one I didn't keep would get picked first overall in the draft. Ultimately, went with my gut and took the Peavster. I'll be keeping him again next year, along with Santana. A-Rod and Abreu are locked in for two other spots, and Helton and Crawford are battling for the fifth spot.

If it was your team, would you keep Helton or Crawford?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:30 pm

In my 14-teamer Peavy went early 3rd round, 31st overall (7th SP).
Next year I'd see him as No. 2 pitcher drafted behind Santana.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Wow, both on a 10 teamer? Peavy will probably end up being the best value at the end of THIS YEAR, as he might have fell to 4th and 5th rounds in some drafts..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers