Next year's #1 SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next year's #1 SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Next year's #1 SP

Postby CPHFighter1 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:13 pm

Jake Peavy.
He's been nothing short of spectacular this year. He had two rough starts when he wasn't quite 100%, but other than that, this guy has Cy Young stuff, pitches in a pitchers park, and after watching a few of his starts this year, has really learned how to pitch. He throws hard, gets incredible movement on all his pitches, and can paint the corners. It's really fun to watch this guy throw.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:41 pm

Johan Santana, anyone? Even with the ERA being unnaturally high compared to WHIP, hes still King way more guys and is more valuable still this year. (Check out Yahoos statistical ranks) So what happens when Johans ERA goes back to normal? He'll crush Peavy. That 7 run schlacking made Johans ERA abnormal. He'll be #1 pitcher at the end of the year, and in drafts next year, rightfully so.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby superfly » Tue May 31, 2005 10:44 pm

I think Santana and Peavy next year will be like Santana and Randy this year. Both will be first round picks but neither will be the concensus first pitcher pick.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:53 pm

I'm not going to build too much of an argument against Santana, but I guess the topic title does that. I actually like Peavy's consistency better than Santana's, and Peavy is still getting better. Peavy's ERA every month has been under 3.00 since the start of last year.
Either way, they are cleary the top two at this point, and I also expect both to be first rounders next year.
I mainly just wanted to emphasize that this guy is going to be around to stay for a long time at the top of fantasy drafts.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Tue May 31, 2005 10:55 pm

You gotta remember, Peavy pitches in such a GREAT pitcher's park. Tough to go past a guy with that much ability on a team with a good bullpen, decent offense and favourable home park.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jayman » Tue May 31, 2005 11:01 pm

Peavy is ridiculous. OMG. Wow.
I have in 1 of 2 leagues and god I wish I had him in both.
This KID rocks!
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Then howcome people ripped me for trading Abreu/Baez/Burrell for Peavy/Overbay/Foulke ?

Yeah, of course Abreu hit 9 homeruns in a row immediately after I trade him, so that may have had something to do with it... !+)
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue May 31, 2005 11:02 pm

I've been very impressed with Peavy this year, I thought last year was somewhat of a fluke as his indicators (K/9,BB/9,HR/9) weren't great enough to warrant the low 2 ERA. He's improved on the BB's and HR rate though. Combine that with the fact he's only 24 and in a pitchers park with a nice bullpen I think he's easily a top 3 SP next year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 31, 2005 11:03 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Johan Santana, anyone? Even with the ERA being unnaturally high compared to WHIP, hes still King way more guys and is more valuable still this year. (Check out Yahoos statistical ranks) So what happens when Johans ERA goes back to normal? He'll crush Peavy. That 7 run schlacking made Johans ERA abnormal. He'll be #1 pitcher at the end of the year, and in drafts next year, rightfully so.

i agree,,, give me santana as well
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayman » Tue May 31, 2005 11:07 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Johan Santana, anyone? Even with the ERA being unnaturally high compared to WHIP, hes still King way more guys and is more valuable still this year. (Check out Yahoos statistical ranks) So what happens when Johans ERA goes back to normal? He'll crush Peavy. That 7 run schlacking made Johans ERA abnormal. He'll be #1 pitcher at the end of the year, and in drafts next year, rightfully so.

i agree,,, give me santana as well

What was Peavy's ERA last season? He was on a roll until he got hurt, then he came back, and he was on a roll again.

Season is very long, lets see where Peavy finishes.

If I had to pick a pitcher right now it would be Johan. But, damn, Peavy is looking like he's fighting for a close second.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers