Felipe Lopez Thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felipe Lopez Thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Felipe Lopez Thoughts?

Postby pmacxx2 » Tue May 31, 2005 5:24 pm

I've been lurking around Lopez now for a couple of weeks. Should I pull the trigger on him in a keeper 10-team with limited waiver wire transactions (7 for the season, used 4). I've lost Loretta and have been using Utley as a replacement. I love Utley, but hate his platoon situation. I love Lopez's position elgibility at SS, 3b, 2b - but is his bat legit? What is his ceiling for production? Is he gonna lose time when Aurilia comes off the DL? Can he keep up this pace? Thoughts appreciated.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 5:25 pm

Wow, that is a miniscule limit. Honestly, I'd be afraid to pick up anybody under those circumstances. :-o

I own him and I believe he will keep playing regardless of the lethargic Aurilia's return...but you never know.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Tue May 31, 2005 5:34 pm

Man, I've made more moves than just to replace injured players. You almost have to wait another month before you grab him to see if he keeps it up. Four weeks is too short of a time frame to warrant using one of your 3 remaining picks.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chuckles » Tue May 31, 2005 5:44 pm

josebach wrote:Man, I've made more moves than just to replace injured players. You almost have to wait another month before you grab him to see if he keeps it up. Four weeks is too short of a time frame to warrant using one of your 3 remaining picks.

That's absolutely crazy...7 for the whole year! Unfortunately, I agree with josebach. I'd wait on it for a while, as only having 3 moves left isn't quite worth it...if that silly rule weren't involved, I'd take the chance on Lopez... :-t to that rule!!!
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pmacxx2 » Tue May 31, 2005 5:52 pm

I probably should have noted we have 28-man rosters, plus one DL spot. So, you can have 29 players under your control. The logic behind limited transactions is to increase trade activity between teams and place greater empahsis on our auction draft. Of my 4 transactions I've used thus far I'm happy with 3 (Mike Sweeney, Craig Biggio, Huston Street). All 3 have provided me with production at weak or injured positions on my team thus far this season. The 4th transaction was also my first, John Patterson. I admittedly got caught up in Patterson's hot start and a positive endorsement from Baseball Prospectus, but now view his addition as a waste of transaction.

Getting back on topic, any Cincy fans who've gotten a large sample of Lopez?
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby drpiranha » Tue May 31, 2005 6:00 pm

I picked him up 2 weeks ago and have been real happy with him. With another of my players (Bobble Crosby) coming off the DL, I can now bench David Eckstein and have far more power in the lineup.
He is a switch hitter with power from both sides of the plate and he only turned 25 about a week ago.
To answer your question about Aurillia, when he came off the DL they played him at 3B, rather than move Lopez from SS and then when Randa came back, they sat Aurillia.
You do have a problem though with your limited transactions.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:32 pm

If more moves could be made, I'd say pick him up. He had a lot of potential a few years ago with Toronto, but struck out way too much. He seems to be putting it together this season.

However, you will likely have at least 3 injuries from here on out. I would save the transaction for those instances. Once Philly trades Polanco, the full time job is likely Utley's, and he supplies a lot, if not more, than what Lopez should, although Lopez used to be capable of stealing 15-20 (though Utley has 4 as of now).

So, based on your league, I'd pass.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue May 31, 2005 6:36 pm

This should probably be in the WW forum, but still - I like Lopez, think he should get playing time in Cinci, but I wouldn't use one of your coveted moves for him. I agree that I'd find it hard to operate under those contraints - I've made a ton of moves (some due to bad drafting, some due to injury and some due to opportunity)
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:01 pm

So far he looks like this years Carlos Guillen. Don't know if he can keep up the pace, but in that ballpark anything's possible.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Tue May 31, 2005 9:38 pm

The thing is, with the few moves you have, at least Lopez can play a bunch of positions. You may not have any moves left at the end of the year, but at least Lopez can fill in anywhere you have injuries. Assuming he is still hitting that is.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers