Hawkins vs. Walker... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hawkins vs. Walker...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 31, 2005 4:13 pm

Chuckles wrote:
Yoda wrote:
eftda wrote:They might try it, but Latroy will blow it and SF will be forced to trade for a closer in July.

It boggles my mind why they would trade Williamns/Aardsma and not get a closer type reliever in return.

My thought too...they gave up a lot!

Which makes me think they might try to use him as a closer. They wouldn't have paid that much unless they had faith in Hawkins and thought they could fix whatever was wrong in Chicago.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 31, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't think the Giants traded for a setup guy. They traded for someone that: a) has the potential to close b) was available. Whether or not Hawkins closes this week of by late June, he will get a crack at that job.

Forget the PR surrounding the trade. Forget what Rotoworld says. How many of you would be honestly shocked to see Hawkins wrest the job from the legendary Tyler Walker?

Tyler Walker? Come on.
Last edited by d18Mike on Tue May 31, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue May 31, 2005 4:51 pm

No way does Hawkins close in SF. I don't think it's a surprise that SF traded for him to be an MR - there's no point having a closer if you can't get from your starter to your closer and still maintain the lead. That SF bullpen was a mess. Hawkins can be a dominant 7th and 8th inning guy and that's what he'll do in SF.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 31)

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 5:06 pm

d18Mike wrote:I don't think the Giants traded for a setup guy. They traded for someone that: a) has the potential to close b) was available. Whether or not Hawkins closes this week of by late June, he will get a crack at that job.

Forget the PR surrounding the trade. Forget what Rotoworld says. How many of you would be honestly shocked to see Hawkins wrest the job from the legendary Tyler Walker?

Tyler Walker? Come on.

You could say the same thing about the legendary Latroy Hawkins. As bad as Walker has been for 3 straight games, Hawkins has been absolutely atrocious in that role. Teams can't afford to experiment for a month with Hawkins and pray that he doesn't single-handedly lose them 5 games and knock them out of all contention.

As disturbing an idea as it may be, Walker may still be their best option at the time being. :-/
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:40 pm

Walker is a journeyman type who has had some initial success in the closer role. Same can be said for Turnbow this year and Herges last year and Biddle the year before. Despite his last few appearances, by all accounts he's the closer for now. Doesn't mean it will last, though. Regardless, should he struggle, I believe Hawkins will get a shot.

One of Hawkins big issues is the HR - and HR are harder to hit in SF than at Wrigley. Hawkins was also allegedly getting hate mail - which might have affected him. If he is under less pressure and in an environment more favorable to his style of pitching, he may very well have some success in the role - especially if SF is out of the playoff race (less pressure).

So, while I think he's set-up for now, he's a nice gamble because he's historically been very good as a MR and should give you good numbers even if he doesn't become closer. Not to mention, he has the chance to pick up some save chances should Walker fail to hold onto the job.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 31, 2005 7:19 pm

Heard MLB's director of stats (Swartz) commenting on the myth of Hawkins not being able to close while he was in CHI. He said if you pull the numbers there just isn't a big enough sample size to say if he is a good/poor closer. It's like saying that Foulke is WW material and Todd Jones is the next Gagne. The samples sizes this year (and in the case of Hawkins, his career) are too small to be statistically material.

If it's of any interest, he too thinks that Hawkins will eventually close in SF

Stay tuned. Time will tell.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers