The Percival/Urbina situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Percival/Urbina situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Percival/Urbina situation

Postby fiz » Tue May 31, 2005 2:18 pm

Is Percy gonna get the job back or are they going to keep Urbina as the closer? Percy is due back in a week or so and I assumed he would get the job back but i saw this under his yahoo notes:

May 31 Manager Alan Trammell has left open the possibility of keeping Ugueth Urbina in the closer role when Percival (forearm) returns, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Recommendation: When asked if he knows how he'll use the two of them when Percival returns Trammell said, "No. We want to make sure Percy is healthy first, and then we'll deal with that."
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 31, 2005 2:24 pm

Percy will have his gig back as soon as he is healthy. the Tigers are paying him too much for too many years to piss him off by making him a setup man
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby yanks#27 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:42 pm

I think they should both share the role, but we are talking ego here. They can both be lights out and can help each other out, players today just get paid waaay damn too much.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue May 31, 2005 3:52 pm

I have to figure the job is still Percival's Urbina has hardly been automatic and like was said above, Percival is being paid to be the closer and just as importantly came to Detroit over what some people would say were more appealing situations in good faith thinking that he was the closer.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 3:56 pm

stumpak wrote:I have to figure the job is still Percival's Urbina has hardly been automatic and like was said above, Percival is being paid to be the closer and just as importantly came to Detroit over what some people would say were more appealing situations in good faith thinking that he was the closer.

Well, I don't know what numbers you are working off of but since Percy's been out, Uggie's numbers:

11G, 8-8 SV, 13 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 6 BB, 14 K

I'd say that's pretty automatic. While I still think Percy's the better pitcher, I like Trammel's line of thinking. Why fix something that isn't broken?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 31, 2005 4:55 pm

I suspect that Alan Trammell is more concerned with losing his job (as he should be these days) than meeting Troy Percival's need to feel loved.

For what it's worth, I live in Detroit and watch as many games as I can. Uggy has looked extremely strong. He ferociously wants that closer job/tag back and he is effectively marketing himself not only to the Tigers but to other clubs.

The fact that Trammell is wavering even slightly on this question in my book gives the edge to Uggy.

But then again, Trammell makes a lot of non-sensical personnel decisions (Higginson, anyone?)
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue May 31, 2005 4:59 pm

Yup, I was wrong, he blew 2 saves before Percival was hurt.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 31, 2005 5:30 pm

percy is being paid to be the closer, so the job should be his once he gets back.... but UU has been impressive enough to warrant a trade from some teams( Atl, Chi, SF)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue May 31, 2005 5:41 pm

Trammell is a mess, but one thing he has shown is loyalty to his players. Even when they don't deserve it: Higgy, Pena(finally sent down today). I can see him putting Percy back in the closer role once he proves he is healthy.

I can also see Urbina looking over his shoulder and pouting again, which will lead to blown saves and mediocre stats. Best plan would be for Percy to recapture the saver role and the trade of Ugie and White for a left handed bat.

Wonder how stupid Dusty is feeling these days? Wasn't he trying to deal Patterson?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue May 31, 2005 5:50 pm

The job will be Percivals and I'm guessing rather quickly. Urbina will still get some save chances as he did when Percival was healthy. A trade makes sense, if not now (as lots of teams are already looking for BP help), then at the deadline for sure.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers