How to Hawaii......? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How to Hawaii......?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to Hawaii......?

Postby catch22 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:43 pm

I am planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be exact. I have never been and have no idea what to do or how much $$ to expext to spend. An old girlfriend invited me and is paying for the room. She has a friend getting married in Maui. We will be there for 6 nights. I want to enjoy myself but without going into debt. Anyone have any advice or things to do for free??? Any help would be great.
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How to Hawaii......?

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 31, 2005 12:50 pm

catch22 wrote:I am planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be exact. I have never been and have no idea what to do or how much $$ to expext to spend. An old girlfriend invited me and is paying for the room. She has a friend getting married in Maui. We will be there for 6 nights. I want to enjoy myself but without going into debt. Anyone have any advice or things to do for free??? Any help would be great.

Ex Girl eh!! Sweet Picture request here!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Tue May 31, 2005 1:13 pm

After going to Hawaii with her, she wont be the Ex for long. B-)
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue May 31, 2005 1:37 pm

If memory serves, things cost about 120% of what you could get them for in the states.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: How to Hawaii......?

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 1:56 pm

catch22 wrote:I am planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be exact. I have never been and have no idea what to do or how much $$ to expext to spend. An old girlfriend invited me and is paying for the room. She has a friend getting married in Maui. We will be there for 6 nights. I want to enjoy myself but without going into debt. Anyone have any advice or things to do for free??? Any help would be great.

Just went in February. It's freaking expensive there. You can expect to spend about 25-50% more than you would here.

There really isn't too much to do for free unless you are just going to the beach or hiking, etc. I wish I could help more but everything we did cost a lot a lof money.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby catch22 » Tue May 31, 2005 2:28 pm

My wife left me about 2 weeks prior to christmas. she left me with custody of our 3 boys(9,5,3). This is my divorce gift to myself. Anything anyone has done that is a must on Maui??
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shpuck » Tue May 31, 2005 2:49 pm

I went as a graduation from college present and stayed with a native of Hawaii who went to college with me and his family who lived on a farm. It was nice to have a personal guide, but it was too bad my future wife wasn't there (I get greif for it, and now she's using it against me to go to Ireland).

Drive around the island on the Road to Hana. It takes you past waterfalls, and stuff (although when I went, it was very very dry in the midst of a drought.).

Go up the mountain Haleakala (highly recommended and free except for gas). Nice drive, and there are some spectactular views on top (go in the morning time because you'll be able to see the sun rise over the ocean clouds).

Check out the Ulalena in Lahaina. I remember it being around 50 bucks a ticket, but it was pretty cool to watch. It's Hawaiian history to a dance thingy. I'm nut much up on this sort of stuff, but it was really cool.

Walk around the valley of Io near Kahalui (where the airport is). Nice stroll along a raging creek/river and some nice historical stuff to look at.

You can also walk along the giant resorts on the east end of the island. They're pretty cool.

Finally, if you like snorkeling, you can take a trip to Molokini (although I'll admit I didn't do this) which is an island where they used to do weapons testing that can be seen from Maui and is about 10 minutes away from Maui by boat (I'm totally estimating).
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 4:55 pm

shpuck wrote:I went as a graduation from college present and stayed with a native of Hawaii who went to college with me and his family who lived on a farm. It was nice to have a personal guide, but it was too bad my future wife wasn't there (I get greif for it, and now she's using it against me to go to Ireland).

Drive around the island on the Road to Hana. It takes you past waterfalls, and stuff (although when I went, it was very very dry in the midst of a drought.).

Go up the mountain Haleakala (highly recommended and free except for gas). Nice drive, and there are some spectactular views on top (go in the morning time because you'll be able to see the sun rise over the ocean clouds).

Check out the Ulalena in Lahaina. I remember it being around 50 bucks a ticket, but it was pretty cool to watch. It's Hawaiian history to a dance thingy. I'm nut much up on this sort of stuff, but it was really cool.

Walk around the valley of Io near Kahalui (where the airport is). Nice stroll along a raging creek/river and some nice historical stuff to look at.

You can also walk along the giant resorts on the east end of the island. They're pretty cool.

Finally, if you like snorkeling, you can take a trip to Molokini (although I'll admit I didn't do this) which is an island where they used to do weapons testing that can be seen from Maui and is about 10 minutes away from Maui by boat (I'm totally estimating).

Pretty funny that you did the same things I did. Driving around to different parts of the island was the best.

Oh and MAKE SURE YOU RENT A CONVERTIBLE. Makes the whole driving experience so much better.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby catch22 » Tue May 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Great stuff.....Can you bring your own drinks to the beach?? Or into your Hotel room? Is there any fresh water swimming holes with waterfalls? Im hoping to bring one fantasy a reality......
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 31, 2005 5:41 pm

catch22 wrote:My wife left me about 2 weeks prior to christmas. she left me with custody of our 3 boys(9,5,3). This is my divorce gift to myself. Anything anyone has done that is a must on Maui??

Good thing you got the kids...I'd be pissed if my wife took my kids not that I want any...

anyways Lay some pipe! It'll make everything all right
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk