Anybody selling high on Bedard? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anybody selling high on Bedard?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RJCarrot » Tue May 31, 2005 2:22 pm

I did Manny/Bedard for Unit/Looper

My SP and RP sucked bad and I had Abreu, Sheffield, Burrell, Manny, and Bradley.

I may have payed too much, but that can only be decided after Unit shows his hand on how well hes going to do from here out and if Bedard is going to be 100% when he gets back.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby klvrdude » Tue May 31, 2005 2:37 pm

I'd wait a little bit. The O's have a very weak schedule ahead and I think he can increase his value a little more before you sell.

Personally, I was offered Jose Guillen and Morneau (seperately) from a owner who is an O's fan.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Tue May 31, 2005 2:38 pm

RJCarrot wrote:I did Manny/Bedard for Unit/Looper

My SP and RP sucked bad and I had Abreu, Sheffield, Burrell, Manny, and Bradley.

I may have payed too much, but that can only be decided after Unit shows his hand on how well hes going to do from here out and if Bedard is going to be 100% when he gets back.

You got Fleeced, with a capital F
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 2:44 pm

klvrdude wrote:I'd wait a little bit. The O's have a very weak schedule ahead and I think he can increase his value a little more before you sell.

Personally, I was offered Jose Guillen and Morneau (seperately) from a owner who is an O's fan.

I was looking at Morneau and thinking of offering Mussina for him, but I'm not sure I'd rather ditch Mussina than Bedard. However, I think I mighht be able to sell higher on Bedard than Morneau.

I'll sit tight for now.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue May 31, 2005 2:59 pm

so0perspam wrote:Don't be like Harold Reynolds here ... you're not going to get much for a guy on the DL no matter how good he's been. ;-)

the bedard owner in my league is thinking about trying to shop him because he replaced him with doug davis (who he is currently high on).

i told him that bedard sprained his knee. i also read (on this board i believe) that it is the knee that he pushes off on. i think that it could trouble him mentally and affect his delivery in the future.......because could try to deliver the ball (in a manner that he thinks) will not cause his injury to return. so that could lead to potential problems with his mechanics.

i dunno, but i would have to see him make a good start and hear about how he feels afterwards to accept a trade offer with is name in it.

plus, this guy (like many other orioles pitchers) has yet to throw for over 200 innings in any mlb season....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 3:23 pm

KolbSaves wrote:How would the other owner be an idiot? This is another common misconception in fantasy baseball. Just because a player was undrafted doesn't mean he doesn't have value or won't continue to play well. You should treat player values as fluid and don't be bitter that you didn't snag player x or y off the wire before someone else. The old "oh you just picked that guy off the wire a week ago, I could have had him for free" argument doesn't make any sense. Player x is no longer free, deal with it. Evaluate his worth from here on out, because your past actions are sunk costs and cannot be recovered.

Play for the rest of the season unless you're one of 3 leagues out there that use retroactive stats.

Well, it just goes down to what you paid for him. I didn't say Bedard or anyone snagged off waivers has no value. There are always a handful of players who come out of nowhere and perform at a very high level thorughout the season. Bedard certainly could be one of them.

Good luck trying to trade Bedard for players drafted high that he is currently outperforming: Adam Dunn, Manny Ramirez, Delgado, Jeter, Kent, Crawford.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is better to hang onto players like Bedard than trade them. Because if he continues to pitch lights out, then you are golden b/c no only did you get him for nothing but he is helping you win. If he completely falls apart, you drop him and snag someone else off waivers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 31, 2005 3:40 pm

You're missing the point though.

Whether you got him for nothing or not doesn't matter now. What matters now is acquiring the players who will do the best for the rest of the season. The money or high draft pick you spent on so and so player doesn't mean you have to stick with that player. You can't get those dollars back or that draft pick back. You can only move forward and make the best decisions from here on out.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:13 pm

Sure, go ahead and try to sell high on Bedard if you can find a guy who will trade you a top guy for him, but I'll agree, the guy who gives up something for Bedard is an idiot.

Top round draft choices have track records, otherwise they wouldn't be picked early. Manny Ramirez, Gary Sheffield, etc. all have career trends and their numbers can be predicted. Eric Bedard is young and therefore will be inconsistent. I think it's dumb to trade for Bedard because you just can't predict his future performances off his numbers. That's fine, he's been great this year, but what about his next 5 starts? On the other hand, veteran players will generally bounce back, they have a statistical trend that says so.

Guys who were on the WW were on the WW for a reason. Yea, Bedard is doing well now, but that doesn't mean he will for the rest of the season. So what matters is performing the best trades, or doing the best moves that help you out from this point in the season on.. and from this point on I think you are only gonna find naive owners who will buy Bedard, good owners won't pay for him, therefore you won't get what you want back.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 6:42 pm

KolbSaves wrote:You're missing the point though.

Whether you got him for nothing or not doesn't matter now. What matters now is acquiring the players who will do the best for the rest of the season. The money or high draft pick you spent on so and so player doesn't mean you have to stick with that player. You can't get those dollars back or that draft pick back. You can only move forward and make the best decisions from here on out.

I think you are missing the point.

Most people look at what they have and when they drafted players before pulling a trigger in a trade. If someone paid $20 for a player who is performing at $20 isn't going to trade you that player for Bedard whom you most likely paid $1 even if he is performing like a $20 player. In most cases, you would lose in that trade. Bedard was a free agent for a reason and I am not saying that he is not going to continue to pitch like he has b/c I haven't seen him do this for an entire season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 31, 2005 9:37 pm

Well those people are idiots and you can rip them off by doing the reverse, trade for a Bedard with a Hafner on them. You should know better than to think a player's worth is tied to how much you paid for them.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers