Nice, now KC will turn it around with buddy Bell! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nice, now KC will turn it around with buddy Bell!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nice, now KC will turn it around with buddy Bell!

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Tue May 31, 2005 12:08 pm

Buddy Bell of the .428 Winning % is the new manager.

Nice job Allard :-t
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nice, now KC will turn it around with buddy Bell!

Postby jblank » Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:Buddy Bell of the .428 Winning % is the new manager.

Dumb choice. I thought Frank White was gonna get it.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chuckles » Tue May 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Must've owed him a favor!!! ;-)
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Box » Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Where's all the Baird defenders now?

Yeah, Bell did an awesome job with all the young talent in Cleveland. Do they have a single position player batting over .300 right now? VMart and Hafner have been unmitigated diasters this season.

A quick search reveals 'no.'
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm

I'm going to give him a few games as manager before lampooning him. Truth is I don't think any manager could make much of a difference with that team.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby thehat » Tue May 31, 2005 3:29 pm

Beggars can't be choosers. It's one of the two worst gigs in the game. Thus, Buddy Bell.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Nice, now KC will turn it around with buddy Bell!

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 31, 2005 5:34 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:Buddy Bell of the .428 Winning % is the new manager.

well i seriously doubt the larussas, coxs, or torres of the world were calling him at night wanting to manage the team... give bell some time and lets see what he can do...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue May 31, 2005 5:55 pm

I'm not a Buddy Bell fan. I had the chance to meet him when he coached the US team at the PanAm games and wasn't impressed at all.

As the baseball almanac says:

...Bell is most remembered for what he failed to do as both a player and manager. He played and managed in more than 3,200 games in his career, yet never reached the post-season. His teams finished higher than fourth just six times in his 18-year playing career, and he finished no better than third and had just a .428 record as a skipper with two teams in parts of six seasons.

The only time Bell was even associated with a team that reached the post-season was when he was a coach on the Indians in '95. I think KC could have made a number of better choices.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby moochman » Tue May 31, 2005 5:55 pm

Bell knowingly and willingly took the Royals' job? I think we need to issue a suicide watch for Buddy. His career is officially in critical condition.

Too much minor league talent to make any serios run, but they can't help but improve so Bell might look okay. We are sure it's Buddy Bell and not Clarabell right?

Sorry KC fan(s), just unloading years of Tigers' fan frustration. Seldom has there been someone worse to spout off at.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Tue May 31, 2005 6:16 pm

Rance Mulliniks wrote:The only time Bell was even associated with a team that reached the post-season was when he was a coach on the Indians in '95. I think KC could have made a number of better choices.

Really? Like who? Sure there are better pedigrees out there (like Howe or Bowa), but how many of them would actually take the job? There are definitely others out there with a bigger drawing name especially here in KC (like White or Brett) but Baird experimented when he hired Pena, a manager with no experience, and it was doomed to fail.

Bell met the four biggest requirements that the Royals need out of a manager. He has managing experience, he has manging experience with a young team that is expected to develop moreso than win, he is a disciplinarian style manager, and he would take the job.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers