Worst offseason move...as of now. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst offseason move...as of now.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:25 pm

The giants singing of Benitez has been a real bummer. He was terrible and then he got hurt.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:58 pm

Russ Ortiz is the worst pitcher in the history of baseball... man I'm so glad he's not a Brave anymore. Probably the most frustrating pitcher.. ever? Nibbler to the extreme. He always just got himself out of jams, and never gave up HR's, until last yaer, when he started serving them up fat, and getting roughed up every time out. That damn Benson signing by the friggin' Mutts messed up the whole market for pitchers. Ortiz shouldn't even be getting paid a cent right now... what a terrible signing.

Why would you give Eric Milton money? HAHA, he's on pace to give up soooooooo many HR's by season's end..
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:29 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:2. E.Milton getting 25million by the Reds. The guy gave up the most HR last year.. they thought moving him to that launching pad would help???? HA!

That's the one that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Milton is downright disgusting.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wannabthechamp » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:33 pm

Juan Gonzalez?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:36 pm

Milton for 25m is just stupid, paying russ ortiz anything isnt the brightest in the world

I never liked the detriot magglio deal, but to get magglio TO detriot, its quite possible they had to come up with a deal like that. For one of the worst franchises in baseball, at least theyre trying.

As to the Jaret Wright deal, yes he sucked the first few games, but how much did his injury play a role in that? Even if its none, its hard to say a deals a flop when an unexpected injury comes up. They didnt really OVERPAY that much for him with the way the market for pitchers was. I dont like wright, and wouldnt have wanted him, but I cant fault the yankees so much for it. Personally I think they gave up way to much just to get RJ, but again, cant say thats a horrible deal.

How about NOT realeasing Juan Gone? I cant imagine the tigers keeping him, Id have him on waivers all offseason and even eaten 75% of that contract if I could have gotten rid of him.
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby linberg » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:37 pm

How about Danny Graves? I know he already had a contract and all, but the Reds are going to end up just eating his millions. At least everyone else on this list is playing. Between him and Milton (yeah lets grab the guy who gives up Hrs and stick him in a HR ballpark), I think that the Reds make the list of bad teams making bad moves...
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Box » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:54 pm

wannabthechamp wrote:Juan Gonzalez?

Maybe if they paid him more than the barrells of circus peanuts and icy-hot patches that they are right now.

It was high risk/reward and they got burned for it. $600K down the tube.

EDIT: Although, when you think about it, $600K for ONE plate appearance is probably tops for most pay/least value. Even Giambi can't beat that. (He's at $110979/AB right now)
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:05 pm

i need to reinforce the suckitude of the milton trade. while we're at it, let's discuss their actions as a whole: david weathers, ben weber, ramon ortiz and eric milton. nicely done, boys.

and to think the reds had a shot to land depodesta as the GM, opting instead for dan "check out the big brain on" o'brien.
:-P
b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Shock6822 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:10 pm

Maggs and Jaret Wright, both of who are on my fantasy team :~( :~(
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brandnew » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:35 pm

benjapage wrote:i need to reinforce the suckitude of the milton trade. while we're at it, let's discuss their actions as a whole: david weathers, ben weber, ramon ortiz and eric milton. nicely done, boys.

and to think the reds had a shot to land depodesta as the GM, opting instead for dan "check out the big brain on" o'brien.
:-P
b

I'm sure many Dodger fans can attest that DePo isn't the greatest of GM's, just because of losing fan favorites. But, even so, he's a hell of a lot better than O'Brien, and is a damn good GM. (See: Penny, JD Drew (he's going to turn out to be a great signing... better than this))

Penny trade was brilliant.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers